The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Time to call an election > Comments

Time to call an election : Comments

By Graham Young, published 8/7/2013

Of course Kevin Rudd doesn't want a 'negative campaign', because then he'd have to justify himself. Instead he's trying to rerun the 2007 campaign.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Yes pedestrian, the part that puzzles me is why has he waited till now to apologize and, more importantly, had the coroner report not been released, pre election, would he have apologized now, if at all.

That's on monkey, the other one is the illegals debacle, another doozy of his own making.

To now shift his stance on this, is further proof he is simply out to try to win votes.

One can only hope there are enough people who remember 07 through to 13.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 9 July 2013 5:23:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How many column inches have been wasted 'telling' Kevin Rudd to call and election soon? Much as the opposition and many others would like it early and like to decide the date, one of the Prime Ministerial tasks is to choose an election date to maximise his/her party's vote. If Zippy thinks that will be November, we'll just have to grit our teeth and suffer until then.
Posted by Candide, Tuesday, 9 July 2013 5:44:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear pedestrian and rehctub,

Before you judge things too harshly
perhaps the following may clarify a few
things:

http://newmatilda.com/2013/07/08/why-pink-batts-scheme-failed

It's an excellent article by Ian Macauley and confirms
what my husband's been telling me. He's worked in the
building construction industry as an architect, project
manager, construction manager for over 40 years.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 9 July 2013 7:27:54 PM
Thanks, Lexi, for the steer to the Ian Macaulay article and the knowledgeable and thoughtful comments appended to it. The wisdom of people who know what they're talking about, and deem it important to do so, goes way, way beyond the pink batts issue. Ignorance is bad, ignorance and stupidity is worse, but willful ignorance, stupidity and pride in it is a suicidal impulse that has its roots in incuriosity and threatens us all. It can still engulf Australia at the coming election, despite the bounce in the polls. This is why Mr Abbott is pitching for it.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Tuesday, 9 July 2013 8:18:02 PM
Dear EJ,

Thanks for that.

My husband tells me that Australians have
created ideas and produced inventions that have been
repeatedly rejected by our governments and
businesses only to be snapped up by more progressive
nations and businesses overseas. This has resulted in
a huge "brain drain." And as a result has stopped us
from moving forward, some say by as much as 30 years
in some areas.

Liberal/Coalition governments have been in power for longer
periods - than has Labor over these years. Do we blame
the politicians for our backwardness -
or the people who elect them?
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 9 July 2013 8:36:25 PM
Interesting link, Lexi, thanks. Whenever I think about the pink batts scheme and those dreadful deaths I wonder how many other people have died unremarked doing similar work over the years, and we never got to hear about it because it wasn't a hot political issue at the time.
Posted by Candide, Wednesday, 10 July 2013 12:20:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy