The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Time to call an election > Comments

Time to call an election : Comments

By Graham Young, published 8/7/2013

Of course Kevin Rudd doesn't want a 'negative campaign', because then he'd have to justify himself. Instead he's trying to rerun the 2007 campaign.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Having just spent three years assiduously undermining Julia Gillard, and let's face it, she had it coming as payback for how she took the top job from him, Kevin Rudd now comes smiling back into our lives convinced we love him.
Yes, let's put it to a vote, but isn't there an international conference or two where Kevin can strut his stuff before going to the polls?
The man projects the sincerity of an Elvis impersonator, and we may just buy it. Frightening thought!
Posted by halduell, Monday, 8 July 2013 8:54:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with Simon Crean – the election should be later rather than sooner, to give the people the best idea possible of what they are voting for.

I can’t see why this wouldn’t be in Rudd’s interest, given that he is clearly a lot more astute than Abbott and that his party certainly has more potential to develop progressive policies rather that ones that entrench us in the same old way of doing things.

Rudd is not to be trusted. He did terrible things last time with no mandate. I very strongly want to know what he’s up to before the election.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 8 July 2013 9:05:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i cant see kev..going the election..before october

grayham/quote.."We're now all savers, and the glass is always half empty. Not only are we looking the gift horse in the mouth, but we're increasingly sending it back.''

and kr is the atypical..opti-must..it will be interesting

QUOTE..'We know that the cost of hay could send us broke.'

if i were kevin..i would,,say its time to spend more
time not for big visions..but repair..[efficiency]..things like..fixing potholes..straightening out bad stretches of rail..

how to use govt bonds..as a assured return,
as worthy of investment ..in their own right,
low battery,,gotta go
Posted by one under god, Monday, 8 July 2013 9:47:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Disappointing to find that the author of this piece of drivel is in fact the Chief Editor and publisher of On Line Opinion.
Posted by Bilmc, Monday, 8 July 2013 9:55:19 AM
‘morning Graham,

Can I just say, and this goes to the heart of the issue, the people of Australia realize that without programmatic specificity, we the people, our working class friends, you good people of the media, fully understand the relentless negativity of Mr. Abbott, is at contrast with the cold shower we all need to take, to make room for we the ALP to present the political cadavers remaining in our government, as real people running our fine country with kindness.

Can I also say that 1. You can no longer refer to Gonski because, as it turns out he just happens to be Chairman of one of my wife’s companies, 2. We cannot afford any bottles of sauce because we have maxed out the nations credit card, 3. The blame game has to stop except for the ALP who will continue to engage in bagging out any member of the electorates, opposition or States that disagree with us and finally, can I just say that I’ve just spoken with some of our good friends in the media at the ABC and Fairfax with whom I now consult widely on matters of thought bubbles and the formulation of actions that I continue to present as actual policies.

This consultation has resulted in a “serious policy debate” without “three word slogans”, what we refer to as TWS’s. Our policies will be “Consensus Based Promises”, we will drive “Jobs and Growth” in the “National Interest” and “for all Australians”.

Can I just mention, the corruption I hate most is what is already in the public forum. I continue to deplore this and to pretend that this is something I can fix, it is not a distraction from other corruption allegations like the AWU branches in WA and Vic., the HSU NSW and Victoria branch investigations into Williamson and Thompson. The VicPol fraud investigation into allegations against Ralph Blewitt, Bruce Wilson, Julia Gillard, Bernard (now Judge) Murphy, Slater & Gordon, a whole “bunch of” other trade union officials, some of who are currently fine upstanding MP’s or ministers.

Well, I gotta ZIP.
Posted by spindoc, Monday, 8 July 2013 9:58:17 AM
As with Julia Gillard’s pre-emptive calling the September 14 election seven months early it remains Kevin Rudd’s prerogative to re-timetable the election according to his judgement.

Rudd will attempt to distance himself from the immediate ALP past with slick rhetoric and a supposed ‘new’ image acknowledging his former mistakes and shortcomings.

Kevin 2013 will be contrite, co-operative and consultative. Please, are we seeing a reincarnated Kevin Rudd in the same way as the ALP expunged the ‘real’ Julia Gillard?

For the record in relation to Gonski – or whatever intonation Mr Rudd gives the policy – Mr Rudd cannot ignore that the school funding review was announced on 15 April 2010 by Ms Gillard as HIS education minister following decisions made by the then ALP kitchen cabinet comprising Rudd, Gillard, Swan and Tanner.

Electors should never forget that Rudd’s fingerprints are all over the Gonski review decision however much he’ll squirm and twist to selectively spin its outcomes to enhance his electoral prospects.

Lindsay Tanner berated the ALP when he withdrew from the 2010 election much to the chagrin of his ALP cohorts. Tanner’s comments remain remarkably prophetic during the three years of the Gillard government. It seems little has changed since 26 June 2013.

At least Gillard, Swan and Tanner were true to their ALP and union-backed beliefs.
Posted by bennery, Monday, 8 July 2013 10:18:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy