The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Time to call an election > Comments

Time to call an election : Comments

By Graham Young, published 8/7/2013

Of course Kevin Rudd doesn't want a 'negative campaign', because then he'd have to justify himself. Instead he's trying to rerun the 2007 campaign.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Having just spent three years assiduously undermining Julia Gillard, and let's face it, she had it coming as payback for how she took the top job from him, Kevin Rudd now comes smiling back into our lives convinced we love him.
Yes, let's put it to a vote, but isn't there an international conference or two where Kevin can strut his stuff before going to the polls?
The man projects the sincerity of an Elvis impersonator, and we may just buy it. Frightening thought!
Posted by halduell, Monday, 8 July 2013 8:54:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with Simon Crean – the election should be later rather than sooner, to give the people the best idea possible of what they are voting for.

I can’t see why this wouldn’t be in Rudd’s interest, given that he is clearly a lot more astute than Abbott and that his party certainly has more potential to develop progressive policies rather that ones that entrench us in the same old way of doing things.

Rudd is not to be trusted. He did terrible things last time with no mandate. I very strongly want to know what he’s up to before the election.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 8 July 2013 9:05:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i cant see kev..going the election..before october

grayham/quote.."We're now all savers, and the glass is always half empty. Not only are we looking the gift horse in the mouth, but we're increasingly sending it back.''

and kr is the atypical..opti-must..it will be interesting

QUOTE..'We know that the cost of hay could send us broke.'

if i were kevin..i would,,say its time to spend more
time not for big visions..but repair..[efficiency]..things like..fixing potholes..straightening out bad stretches of rail..

how to use govt bonds..as a assured return,
as worthy of investment ..in their own right,
low battery,,gotta go
Posted by one under god, Monday, 8 July 2013 9:47:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Disappointing to find that the author of this piece of drivel is in fact the Chief Editor and publisher of On Line Opinion.
Posted by Bilmc, Monday, 8 July 2013 9:55:19 AM
‘morning Graham,

Can I just say, and this goes to the heart of the issue, the people of Australia realize that without programmatic specificity, we the people, our working class friends, you good people of the media, fully understand the relentless negativity of Mr. Abbott, is at contrast with the cold shower we all need to take, to make room for we the ALP to present the political cadavers remaining in our government, as real people running our fine country with kindness.

Can I also say that 1. You can no longer refer to Gonski because, as it turns out he just happens to be Chairman of one of my wife’s companies, 2. We cannot afford any bottles of sauce because we have maxed out the nations credit card, 3. The blame game has to stop except for the ALP who will continue to engage in bagging out any member of the electorates, opposition or States that disagree with us and finally, can I just say that I’ve just spoken with some of our good friends in the media at the ABC and Fairfax with whom I now consult widely on matters of thought bubbles and the formulation of actions that I continue to present as actual policies.

This consultation has resulted in a “serious policy debate” without “three word slogans”, what we refer to as TWS’s. Our policies will be “Consensus Based Promises”, we will drive “Jobs and Growth” in the “National Interest” and “for all Australians”.

Can I just mention, the corruption I hate most is what is already in the public forum. I continue to deplore this and to pretend that this is something I can fix, it is not a distraction from other corruption allegations like the AWU branches in WA and Vic., the HSU NSW and Victoria branch investigations into Williamson and Thompson. The VicPol fraud investigation into allegations against Ralph Blewitt, Bruce Wilson, Julia Gillard, Bernard (now Judge) Murphy, Slater & Gordon, a whole “bunch of” other trade union officials, some of who are currently fine upstanding MP’s or ministers.

Well, I gotta ZIP.
Posted by spindoc, Monday, 8 July 2013 9:58:17 AM
As with Julia Gillard’s pre-emptive calling the September 14 election seven months early it remains Kevin Rudd’s prerogative to re-timetable the election according to his judgement.

Rudd will attempt to distance himself from the immediate ALP past with slick rhetoric and a supposed ‘new’ image acknowledging his former mistakes and shortcomings.

Kevin 2013 will be contrite, co-operative and consultative. Please, are we seeing a reincarnated Kevin Rudd in the same way as the ALP expunged the ‘real’ Julia Gillard?

For the record in relation to Gonski – or whatever intonation Mr Rudd gives the policy – Mr Rudd cannot ignore that the school funding review was announced on 15 April 2010 by Ms Gillard as HIS education minister following decisions made by the then ALP kitchen cabinet comprising Rudd, Gillard, Swan and Tanner.

Electors should never forget that Rudd’s fingerprints are all over the Gonski review decision however much he’ll squirm and twist to selectively spin its outcomes to enhance his electoral prospects.

Lindsay Tanner berated the ALP when he withdrew from the 2010 election much to the chagrin of his ALP cohorts. Tanner’s comments remain remarkably prophetic during the three years of the Gillard government. It seems little has changed since 26 June 2013.

At least Gillard, Swan and Tanner were true to their ALP and union-backed beliefs.
Posted by bennery, Monday, 8 July 2013 10:18:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
spindoc. I could have believed that you actually worked for St Kev... but you forgot 'Folks'

To Bilmc.. yes it does come from the Editor.. but he allows a wide range of opinion to be published.. where else could you have Graham and John Pilger in the same issue... Great Stuff !
Posted by Aspley, Monday, 8 July 2013 11:17:32 AM
Political commentators tell us -
"Suddenly Mr Abbott faces an opponent far
more popular than himself. The Opposition leader's
assurd run to election victory has now been radically
challenged." Especially as polls now show a
"big bounce for Kevin Rudd..."
It seems that Mr Rudd is turning the "fear campaign"
against Mr Abbott, portraying himself as the face
of re-assurance and Mr Abbott as risk.

Lets take a look at events thus far:

We know that for almost 3 years Mr Abbott has used
a wrecking ball strategy designed to bring down the
government as quickly as possible.

One commentator
pointed out, " We would have enormous respect for an
Opposition leader who played a clean game. Who challenged
a government's policies and pointed out their flaws,
who provided alternative policies that won broad
support. Mr Abbott has not played that kind of game."

We are now being led to believe that
"Nasty, negative, nay saying
Mr Abbott, has become "nice" Mr Abbott in the dark blue
suit, white shirt, blue tie."

Has he really? Can he be trusted?
This is a man who's admitted on national television
that he has problems with the "gospel truth."

Of course the Coalition wants an early election.

The longer Mr Abbott has to wait, he will have to do
more than just keep beathing to become the next PM.
It is not enough to have the job presented on a plate.
Commentators tell us that -

"Clearly, there has been huge advantages while in
Opposition in offerning a small target to Labor, but to
carry that strategy any further now is to treat voters
with contempt."

"Throwing out a government is not the same as electing an
Opposition. The electorate, like nature abhors a vacuum.
Without detailed policies it cannot properly assess who
deserves to govern."

As for Kevin Rudd? We too need to ask ourselves - has the
man really changed? Has he become a more "consultative"
PM? Will he lead the nation in the right direction?
A public debate
between the two men would certainly help make comparisons
between the two.
Posted by Lexi, Monday, 8 July 2013 11:27:18 AM
This survey of leading Australian economists suggests big ticks for Labor's response to the GFC...the main criticism being of Swan's insistence on a surplus "come hell or high water".

http://www.smh.com.au/business/brickbats-and-praise-for-labor-20130707-2pk5d.html
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 8 July 2013 11:28:26 AM
It comes as no surprise that Liberals (including the editor of OLO) should want an early election. Abbott has been baying that tune since the last election because like all Tories he felt robbed of his God-given right to govern.

Now that the polls show a huge rebound in the Labor vote Abbott is terrified that the election win he thought he was sleepwalking to is now a lot less than the certainty he thought. Heaven forbid, he may actually have to produce some real policy alternatives instead of the mindless slogans we have been subjected to for the past three years.

It's a bit rich for commentators to be asking if Rudd has changed when the real question is whether Abbott has changed. He is a man with a self-confessed problem with the truth. He strenuously fought against RU482 when health minister. He is (again self confessed) an admirer of that Catholic reactionary Santamaria. Indeed, there is a veritable catalogue of issues that Abbott has avoided being scrutinised on because of the constant missteps of the Gillard-Swan government. Tony, those days are gone. If you really want the job then you have a task ahead to convince us. The polls suggest that the great majority of Australians are distinctly underwhelmed at the prospect of an Abbott government.

All the special pleading by Graham and his mates is not going to alter that reality.
Posted by James O'Neill, Monday, 8 July 2013 1:14:16 PM
Have to agree with Lexi and James O'Neil.
They spell most of it out for mine; apart from the fact it has always been the PM's prerogative, when to call the election.
If the coalition want to go early?
Probably a good reason Kevin Rudd to delay as long as possible, and watch Tony Abbott squirm under the spotlight of increased public examination of him, as the "alternative" PM.
And he does need to give us his election promises in writing!?
A delay could work two ways, for or against Kevin 11. Particularly, when then coalition releases all the fearless and frank opinion of him, by former Labour politicians.
Obviously Kevin 11 commands the support of much of the younger less thoughtful voters and much of the blogisphere.
He also has probably lifted his prospects quite markedly, by backing marriage equality.
And he clearly is in campaign mode, without first going into caretaker mode.
And hey that's not the convention or cricket old chap.
But then, what has fair play and inherent honesty, or what the average mug voter out there in mugsville thinks, ever had anything to do with Australian politics?
When all that seems to matter for most pollies is simply winning; and or, just the three year election cycle!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 8 July 2013 2:53:22 PM
Luddy, please mate, "I can’t see why this wouldn’t be in Rudd’s interest, given that he is clearly a lot more astute than Abbott", you missed the last word of that CONMAN.

To that I will agree. The fact that the entire persona of the conman Rudd is itself a confidence trick is known to any who have eyes that can see. The image that appears on TV, sickening though it may be, is his idea of what people want, not what he has to offer.

I think it is great the pretender Rudd wants to go flaunt his success in front of the world, if for no other reason than to rub it into the witch. The longer he struts about like the preening peacock he is, the more people will remember what an absolute dud he was & is today.

Interesting to see he is now anti boat people, & carbon taxes, just like he was a Fiscal conservative before 07. I shudder to imagine what he would be if Oz was stupid enough to elect him again.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 8 July 2013 3:32:55 PM
You're right Bennery. I shouldn't have given him a pass on Gonski. Gonski is part of the Rudd coterie, and as you point out chairs Ingeus, Therese Rein's company, which has made a fortune from the privatisation of government job placement work. The Australian has an interesting write-up today on how they operate in the UK.
Posted by GrahamY, Monday, 8 July 2013 5:28:43 PM
Dear Kevin,

I agree with Rhosty, Lexi and James O’Neil. On that basis not only are you doomed by those who have absolutely no idea what is going on in the world, but we have an OLO record of all their prognostications. We will of course use these to beat them over the head when and if you ever call an election.

The good news is that the “bookies” have you at 5/1. I am always impressed by the fact that I’ve never seen a poor bookie and rarely see a wealthy punter.

Bye Bye Kevin.
Posted by spindoc, Monday, 8 July 2013 5:33:47 PM
The latest Morgan Poll.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/morgan-poll-july-8-2013-201307080647

Two party preferred:

Labor - 54.5% (up 3%)

L-NP - 45.5% (down 3%)
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 8 July 2013 6:56:08 PM
I can't understand how so many can't see that Kevin Rudd is nothing but an Academic without wisdom. Yes, he's educated but he hasn't been able to add knowledge & wisdom to his education. He appears to me rather shallow & cheap. Can't people see how he is incapable of making a genuine & convincing point when he talks. Yes he does use pseudo intellectual rhetoric but none of it is of any genuine substance. It's like listening to a fake reading the news.
Abbott is way more genuine & competent as are his off-siders. Abbott & Co might be likened to sweet & sour gherkins butt Rudd & Co are just Dill cucumbers.
Posted by individual, Monday, 8 July 2013 7:02:56 PM
Dear individual,

It's your choice of course:

One wears glasses and a smile
The other a sneer on his big-eared dial
One can talk and enunciate
The other's a bruiser who won't debate
We need a leader who'll see us through
The question is folks -
Who, Who, WHOOO?

A public debate between the two would help.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 9 July 2013 1:37:21 PM
Rudd was warned repeatedly in writing about the very real dangers of working in ceilings, any trady knows that. Rudd ignored them, and then when people died he left Garret to carry the can. The sight of Rudd 'apologizing for 'accidental' deaths that were predicted to him, makes me want to vomit.
Posted by pedestrian, Tuesday, 9 July 2013 4:41:27 PM
Yes pedestrian, the part that puzzles me is why has he waited till now to apologize and, more importantly, had the coroner report not been released, pre election, would he have apologized now, if at all.

That's on monkey, the other one is the illegals debacle, another doozy of his own making.

To now shift his stance on this, is further proof he is simply out to try to win votes.

One can only hope there are enough people who remember 07 through to 13.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 9 July 2013 5:23:38 PM
How many column inches have been wasted 'telling' Kevin Rudd to call and election soon? Much as the opposition and many others would like it early and like to decide the date, one of the Prime Ministerial tasks is to choose an election date to maximise his/her party's vote. If Zippy thinks that will be November, we'll just have to grit our teeth and suffer until then.
Posted by Candide, Tuesday, 9 July 2013 5:44:31 PM
Dear pedestrian and rehctub,

Before you judge things too harshly
perhaps the following may clarify a few
things:

http://newmatilda.com/2013/07/08/why-pink-batts-scheme-failed

It's an excellent article by Ian Macauley and confirms
what my husband's been telling me. He's worked in the
building construction industry as an architect, project
manager, construction manager for over 40 years.
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 9 July 2013 7:27:54 PM
Thanks, Lexi, for the steer to the Ian Macaulay article and the knowledgeable and thoughtful comments appended to it. The wisdom of people who know what they're talking about, and deem it important to do so, goes way, way beyond the pink batts issue. Ignorance is bad, ignorance and stupidity is worse, but willful ignorance, stupidity and pride in it is a suicidal impulse that has its roots in incuriosity and threatens us all. It can still engulf Australia at the coming election, despite the bounce in the polls. This is why Mr Abbott is pitching for it.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Tuesday, 9 July 2013 8:18:02 PM
Dear EJ,

Thanks for that.

My husband tells me that Australians have
created ideas and produced inventions that have been
repeatedly rejected by our governments and
businesses only to be snapped up by more progressive
nations and businesses overseas. This has resulted in
a huge "brain drain." And as a result has stopped us
from moving forward, some say by as much as 30 years
in some areas.

Liberal/Coalition governments have been in power for longer
periods - than has Labor over these years. Do we blame
the politicians for our backwardness -
or the people who elect them?
Posted by Lexi, Tuesday, 9 July 2013 8:36:25 PM
Interesting link, Lexi, thanks. Whenever I think about the pink batts scheme and those dreadful deaths I wonder how many other people have died unremarked doing similar work over the years, and we never got to hear about it because it wasn't a hot political issue at the time.
Posted by Candide, Wednesday, 10 July 2013 12:20:39 AM
Lexi I have never blamed Kevin Rudd for those deaths, however, his haste definitely comtributed to them.

As for idea going ove seas, much of that has had to do with lack of investment, but either way, it's been an outrage for years and yes, governments are also to blame.

Now while you say that libs have government more, you are right, but what you have failed to recognize is that thier primary focus while in power, at least in my time, has been to repay massive debt accumulated by successive labor governments, and here we are again.

So perhaps labor is to blame for the ideas leaving, as it is they who have had the money to spend, as the libs have only ever played catch up.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 10 July 2013 5:51:46 AM
Dear rehctub,

If governments maintained and improved in a balanced
manner the assets of the nation instead of being
obsessed with only one side - the surplus - there
would be no need to spend excessively to repair
the damage caused by previous governments and in turn
there would be no need to be obsessed with excessive
saving. Howard ignored the asset base of the public
purse - resulting in the next government having to
repair the damage. In addition to facillitating their
social policies. A well-maintained classic car will run
efficiently forever. But a delapitated bomb will collapse
quickly and ultimately cost a fortune to rebuild.
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 10 July 2013 10:44:44 AM
Lexi, who said " we will deliver a surplus AT ANY COST, as failure is not an option".

Now spending money to stimulate the economy is one thing, but spending $400 billion and achieving little in return is economic vandalism.

Now the sad part is this has happened in less than six years Lexi.

But at least the worlds smartest man has fell on his own sword.

It's just a pity we will be supporting this dud till the day he dies.

Now as not aiming for, or achieving surplus, I don't see this as a problem either, as it's no different than borrowing against the equity in your home, so long as your borrowings don't out grow your growth.

Furthermore, if you check my post history, I said all along that aiming for surplus in these times was the wrong approach in these economic circumstances.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 12 July 2013 4:19:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy