The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Do this generation's female journalists lack talent? > Comments

Do this generation's female journalists lack talent? : Comments

By Mark Christensen, published 13/5/2013

Loudly and proudly dismissing Barker as cheap and nefarious protects political interests, in this case gender equality, from cold, hard reality.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Onthebeach raves on predictably about 'titties' and 'racks', but I believe that the TV station owners/producers etc, must surely be similar shallow males like him.

They seem to choose the more attractive female reporters for their stations, even if some don't seem to have a good talking voice, or the calm mannerisms and obvious intellect that a good journalist should possess.

Of course, there are a few female reporters who are both attractive, and good at their profession, and good luck to them.

If I was a shallow female viewer, I would be commenting on a distinct lack of 20 something, muscled male chests, thick thatches of hair, bulging crotches, tight buttocks, and deep voices amongst the current crop of male presenters... but I'm not, of course...

Why is it that we seem to have predominantly middle-aged, balding, puny or pudgy bespectacled male presenters, amongst a sea of pretty young female one's?
Just asking.
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 13 May 2013 8:59:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spindoc. Oh my aching ribs, that's really very funny.
My advice for what it is, is to stop eating chicken; they put hormones in it; and, put that mirror down.
Cheers Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 13 May 2013 9:01:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If either Barker or Christenson want to make a case against TV networks for employing too many young, inexperienced journalists because they look good on camera, that’s fine. However, Barker has not only singled out young female journalists rather than males, he has deliberately used language that portrays himself as a dude incapable of looking at a woman under 30 without seeing her as just another panting nubile of the sex class:

‘hair … usually blonde … tumbles artfully onto the shoulder’
‘TV babes’
‘breasts pert and perky’
‘crimson lips’
‘white teeth’

As I suspect Christenson is another such dude, he has little choice but to defend Barker’s outrageous sexism as being misunderstood by ‘tribal [read ‘feminist’] prejudice’. I suppose you can’t expect much from a writer who still maintains that old Howard-era trope that the Australian media is ... ahem ... left of centre.
Posted by Killarney, Monday, 13 May 2013 9:21:13 PM
Suse

'... 20 something, muscled male chests, thick thatches of hair, bulging crotches, tight buttocks, and deep voices amongst the current crop of male presenters...'

Lots of that and more on the lifestyle and renovation programs! Although you might have to give the 'deep voices' a miss. More like broad nasal Strine.
Posted by Killarney, Monday, 13 May 2013 9:26:30 PM
Killarney for what it's worth, if I am in my lounge chair watching TV, I will be reading something at the same time. This is a technique I have developed particularly for sport.

You can read something more interesting, then when you hear a lot of noise from the TV, you can glance up, & catch the replay of the few interesting bits.

Now with my reading glasses I can not see all that much definition of boobs or face, so they are definitely wasting their time with showy birds for me. They just may get me with one who had a good voice, if they gave her some intelligent stuff to read.

One of the few attractive women I've seen on TV in the last 10 years is the older one in the original CSI. Yep some women can be attractive, & have good voices, but these silly little girls, never. Well at least not until they have a decade or two more to grow up.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 13 May 2013 11:17:32 PM
Continued.

Some years back, when I could still see very well, there was a particularly beautiful weather girl on I think channel 10. She continually annoyed me by her total lack of knowledge of geography. She would indicate Perth with her hand, while talking about Brisbane, then probably Darwin when mentioning Melbourne.

In complete frustration, one day I rang the news room, & asked them who she slept with. This was greeted by a puzzled I beg your pardon.

I then explained that I assumed she must be sleeping with someone very high in the pecking order of the station, to be so bad at the job, & still be employed.

This was greeted with peals of laughter, & must have done the rounds of the news room, as she disappeared a few days later.

No I was not sorry.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 13 May 2013 11:32:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy