The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Do this generation's female journalists lack talent? > Comments

Do this generation's female journalists lack talent? : Comments

By Mark Christensen, published 13/5/2013

Loudly and proudly dismissing Barker as cheap and nefarious protects political interests, in this case gender equality, from cold, hard reality.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Long on rhetoric, very short on cogent argument. Where are the examples? What analysis and comparison has been undertaken of male reporters?
This qualifies as rant rather than rational analysis.
Posted by Shalmaneser, Monday, 13 May 2013 9:11:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think we are talking about different things here. There are certainly the superficial airheads (both male and female) who are not strictly journalists, never ask pobing questions and seem to work almost exclusively for commercial networks. Trioli and Brockie are awesome as are Ellen Fanning, Lenore Taylor and Laura Tingle to mention just three.
The cream will always rise to the top, no matter the profession.
Posted by wantok, Monday, 13 May 2013 9:46:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The MSM and public broadcasters are in a mess. For various reasons the media has clearly split into left and right camps, they have become the champions by proxy of political ideology and as a direct consequence, they no longer know who or what they are, mostly they are no longer journalists. They have compromised whatever professionalism they might have once claimed.

The changes to the market, delivery technologies and funding mechanisms have added to their woes and since they don’t seem to know what is happening there seems little likelihood they can fix it.

I think the issues of gender are a misdirection however, it is clear that many of the journalists of the left in particular, present as activists rather than journalists. This applies to commercial and public domains.

Commercial news and current affairs are simply magazine type events. The public broadcasters are much more activist and PC, not a respectable place for any “journalist” to be.

Whilst the public broadcasters are just that, funded by the public, it has not been well publicized that K Rudd granted spectrum/license fee waivers to CH’s 7, 9 and 10. Currently they are enjoying some $600m in relief from our money. What ever happened to the term “commercial”?

With the level of indebtedness our media enjoys, is it any wonder that they have sold out their own professionalism for thirty pieces of silver.

All in all and gender aside, they are generally a shabby bunch of ex-professionals who lack the one thing they need, credibility.

Any criticism of our media on any basis is to be encouraged. And to the media themselves, if the cap fits, wear it!
Posted by spindoc, Monday, 13 May 2013 10:49:07 AM
No they don't lack talent, but may come at issues from a different perspective?
There's nothing wrong with white teeth or pert breasts!
In the final analysis, the only things that matter, are truth, and honestly validated impartial reporting.
And this very quality is what seems under attack, by, it would seem, MSM; and or, the endless patently partisan opinion pieces, which seem to have largely replaced investigative Journalism?
Moreover, some male journalists, seem thick as two bricks, when it comes to understanding and impartially reporting on, either science or proposed tax reform?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 13 May 2013 11:07:18 AM
Come on Rhrosty, don't lack talent, you've got to be kidding.

Take the latest move by their ABC in Queensland news. God knows where they found the nice teeth, big pert breasts, & good looks of the current presenter, heavily promoted & advertised in the Australian TV guide before her appearance, but she has nothing but those attributes to recommend her.

Surely the first requirement of a presenter in an audio medium should be voice. Hers, like more than a few on 612 ABC is dreadful. Anyone with tinnitus would confirm this.

Now it may not be her fault, perhaps we suddenly have a news room full of these ladies at their ABC, but since the appearance of this lady, the decay of the once great ABC news has accelerated drastically.

The whole thing has taken on the appearance of a TV version of a That's Life, or a Take Five ladies magazine. Obviously nothing above trivia is to be permitted, & "human interest" as relating to this market, reigns supreme.

I watched a few nights, but once it became obvious that the new format was pitched at 20/30 something women, with an IQ even lower than Wane Swan, I gave up.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 13 May 2013 11:59:24 AM
One can't help but notice the hard copy media, especially Fairfax, are employing a lot more 'pretty' girls lately. Its probably too early to say whether or not they possess any real talent however I'd personally prefer old boilers with some life experience. Unusually for News Limited, they did actually have a particularly good mature aged male journalist until recently. Mike O'Connor was the ONLY News Ltd journalist I've ever encountered who would have a dig at LNP figures & who would allow comments unflattering to same. Mind you, maybe thats why he was pensioned off. I recall a certain O'Connor story attacking the politically correct usage of 'manholes'. He noted that the widely accepted alternative 'personhole' was also open to criticism as the word 'perSON' clearly referred to a male, likewise 'huMAN. After a bit of waffling, he came up with 'persibling hole' which is quite obviously neither male nor female.
Posted by praxidice, Monday, 13 May 2013 12:39:09 PM
Since I can read the news off a screen five times faster than I can listen to it being read, I don't really see the point of having newsreaders at all. But if we must have them for some reason, they may as well be nice to look at. All I object to is having them given large chunks of my taxes for a job that could be done effectively by a Speak-n-Spell machine.

Some readers will remember the outrage with which Quentin Dempster, a staunch unionist, reacted when, after he had revealed the salary of an ABC Chairman, the Chairman in question pointed out that it was considerably less than Dempster's own. Perhaps if the ABC spent less on talking heads and more on news gathering, it might arrest some of its declining fortunes.
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 13 May 2013 1:45:15 PM
It isn't young looks and pert titties that the author should be railing against. The fifty-something Liz Hayes, Sandra Sully and others show that there is no discrimination against mature women and that pride, healthy food portions and fitness can defeat growing that Julia butt. Nothing wrong with Sully's rack, but it is her personality that makes the package attractive. She doesn't scowl and denounce half the world's population at every opportunity which is a bonus.

What is the problem is that since the women's movement got going, the media has focussed on affirmative action targets. It was a gender thing and suitability and skills were not as important. In that environment, so often the assertive opportunists win through. But while they are good at working the connections to get the jobs, they do not always have the ability. That is true everywhere and especially in the public services.

Editors have allowed feminist women journalists a lot of elbow room to spruik their new religion, which many seemed not to grasp very well themselves. Not that it was necessary to comprehend, it was enough to regurgitate the abundant pap from overseas. Enough to be 'advised' by their feminism. Or so they said. Not that editors particularly cared about quality control or developing them either, editors thought the fad and the abraisive, opinionated women who rode the bandwagon would go away some day. Countless articles over countless years writing about vaginas and still the same columns are posted. Idiot women hanging around footballers' changing rooms. Who carea? No-one takes notice of them anyhow.

Now the affirmative action push has swung to multiculturalism. Mercy!

However, The Box can be turned off (except for Sully), tabloids do not have to be read and there are always The Economist and The Financial Review instead. How anyone can sit through Q&A's same old, same old, God only knows. They deserve a Wheeties Box toy or something.
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 13 May 2013 2:09:30 PM
'How anyone can sit through Q&A's same old '

Dare I say any woman whether competence or not would be able to hide their bias better than Tony Jones.
Posted by runner, Monday, 13 May 2013 2:20:00 PM
"Trioli and Brockie are awesome as are Ellen Fanning, Lenore Taylor and Laura Tingle to mention just three."

Hilarious; and obviously an abc viewer: "to mention just three"; count the names.

A more balanced view of trioli:

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/the_abcs_trioli_farewells_a_conservative_guest/

I think that captures her perfectly.
Posted by cohenite, Monday, 13 May 2013 3:05:45 PM
Rhrosty,

<< There's nothing wrong with white teeth or pert breasts!>>

So true but what about the females?
Posted by spindoc, Monday, 13 May 2013 5:17:54 PM
Jenny Brockie is just sooo academic, it hurts to listen to her. She simply doesn't know how to ask questions. She always ensures she gets the answer she wants to hear rathe than what she should be listening to. Her show never offers any solutions, it's always about making some ignorant academic experts look intelligent. Why do these shows never have ordinary people on their panels ? I think each show should have at least one member of the wider community sit on the panel. Always the same old experts talking dribble is not very enlightening at all.
Posted by individual, Monday, 13 May 2013 8:04:04 PM
Onthebeach raves on predictably about 'titties' and 'racks', but I believe that the TV station owners/producers etc, must surely be similar shallow males like him.

They seem to choose the more attractive female reporters for their stations, even if some don't seem to have a good talking voice, or the calm mannerisms and obvious intellect that a good journalist should possess.

Of course, there are a few female reporters who are both attractive, and good at their profession, and good luck to them.

If I was a shallow female viewer, I would be commenting on a distinct lack of 20 something, muscled male chests, thick thatches of hair, bulging crotches, tight buttocks, and deep voices amongst the current crop of male presenters... but I'm not, of course...

Why is it that we seem to have predominantly middle-aged, balding, puny or pudgy bespectacled male presenters, amongst a sea of pretty young female one's?
Just asking.
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 13 May 2013 8:59:45 PM
Spindoc. Oh my aching ribs, that's really very funny.
My advice for what it is, is to stop eating chicken; they put hormones in it; and, put that mirror down.
Cheers Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 13 May 2013 9:01:34 PM
If either Barker or Christenson want to make a case against TV networks for employing too many young, inexperienced journalists because they look good on camera, that’s fine. However, Barker has not only singled out young female journalists rather than males, he has deliberately used language that portrays himself as a dude incapable of looking at a woman under 30 without seeing her as just another panting nubile of the sex class:

‘hair … usually blonde … tumbles artfully onto the shoulder’
‘TV babes’
‘breasts pert and perky’
‘crimson lips’
‘white teeth’

As I suspect Christenson is another such dude, he has little choice but to defend Barker’s outrageous sexism as being misunderstood by ‘tribal [read ‘feminist’] prejudice’. I suppose you can’t expect much from a writer who still maintains that old Howard-era trope that the Australian media is ... ahem ... left of centre.
Posted by Killarney, Monday, 13 May 2013 9:21:13 PM
Suse

'... 20 something, muscled male chests, thick thatches of hair, bulging crotches, tight buttocks, and deep voices amongst the current crop of male presenters...'

Lots of that and more on the lifestyle and renovation programs! Although you might have to give the 'deep voices' a miss. More like broad nasal Strine.
Posted by Killarney, Monday, 13 May 2013 9:26:30 PM
Killarney for what it's worth, if I am in my lounge chair watching TV, I will be reading something at the same time. This is a technique I have developed particularly for sport.

You can read something more interesting, then when you hear a lot of noise from the TV, you can glance up, & catch the replay of the few interesting bits.

Now with my reading glasses I can not see all that much definition of boobs or face, so they are definitely wasting their time with showy birds for me. They just may get me with one who had a good voice, if they gave her some intelligent stuff to read.

One of the few attractive women I've seen on TV in the last 10 years is the older one in the original CSI. Yep some women can be attractive, & have good voices, but these silly little girls, never. Well at least not until they have a decade or two more to grow up.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 13 May 2013 11:17:32 PM
Continued.

Some years back, when I could still see very well, there was a particularly beautiful weather girl on I think channel 10. She continually annoyed me by her total lack of knowledge of geography. She would indicate Perth with her hand, while talking about Brisbane, then probably Darwin when mentioning Melbourne.

In complete frustration, one day I rang the news room, & asked them who she slept with. This was greeted by a puzzled I beg your pardon.

I then explained that I assumed she must be sleeping with someone very high in the pecking order of the station, to be so bad at the job, & still be employed.

This was greeted with peals of laughter, & must have done the rounds of the news room, as she disappeared a few days later.

No I was not sorry.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 13 May 2013 11:32:29 PM
There's one thing that is peculiar to australian presenters on TV, they can't have a conversation with someone without constantly glancing at the camera. It distracts from the conversation in which the viewer is listening to. Why don't they learn to ignore the camera ?
Also, when you're trying to listen to the presenter they play those stupid headlines at the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure about others but I find these lines way too distracting, I for one wish they'd stop that.
The journalists themselves are actually very good, it's the programmers who are utter morons who can't put anything together unless some overseas station gives them something to copy. Australian programers are just so un-original.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 14 May 2013 6:39:30 AM
Okay...here's a yappity, yakkity female anchor waxing lyrical right over the top of an absolutely mint version of Commander Chris Hadfield's version of Space Oddity from the space station.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-14/astronaut-goes-from-star-gazer-to-star-singer/4687796

Here's the full version - which I happen to think is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo

He's coming back down to earth around now - in more ways than one.

https://twitter.com/Evan_Hadfield/status/334099618105262080/photo/1
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 14 May 2013 10:40:05 AM
Suseonline, "Why is it that we seem to have predominantly middle-aged, balding, puny or pudgy bespectacled male presenters, amongst a sea of pretty young female one's?"

That is your prejudice against older people showing through. There are plenty of older women as I have shown already. Even where devoid of talent they are kept, for example the serially indignant, repetitive Tracey Grimshaw. The reason there are many younger women journalists and column writers is as I have noted previously. It is the decades of affirmative action that deems that women must replace men and particularly in what are reckoned to be 'male roles'.

Although put-off by the strine that is precious to Labor PMs including the present one, Killarney has suggested renovation shows to you to see younger men. But there too PC decrees that women must dominate and well manicured hands temporarily grasp light domestic electric drills to make the point. Strangely enough you don't see many women on building sites though. LOL

Frankly there wouldn't be many of your despised middle-aged, balding, puny or pudgy bespectacled male presenters on The Box. In print a few more might hang on, a few necessary 'dinosaurs' to do the real work, investigating, researching, finding facts. You know, that old-fashioned stuff that anyone so informed by her feminism such as yourself would rarely take notice of anyhow.

However, the bright star on your horizoon as the forum's advocate of all things gay is that gays rule in show-biz. There a feast awaits you. Of course the hirsuite among them are womyn and many of them will never see forty again, but at least they are not balding. Well, not many of them if they let up on the testosterone a bit.

However it may be that you only object to young, presentable women getting jobs. Women are so competitive.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 14 May 2013 12:57:03 PM
Oh rubbish onthebeach!

What about the plethora of male sports presenters?
It seems that women can't talk about sport on TV.
If I see another sports presenter with a bad hairpiece again, I will throw up...

Most of the male presenters have bad teeth as well.
At least the female presenters usually take pride in their appearance.
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 14 May 2013 8:50:20 PM
Poirot,
hear, hear.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 15 May 2013 9:48:03 AM
At the end of the day, the only thing that should decide who does what job is merit!
I know of a young female electrician, who made apprentice of the year on two consecutive years, and taught a couple of very envious young males, a salutatory lesson in respect, with her self defence Tai-Quon-Do skills.
If we could just ignore gender and traditional if entirely misplaced bias, and politically incorrect comment from the old Dinosaurs and Doddos, we'd do a lot better as a so-called society!
Perhaps we could have the Pretty Young Things, lip sinc to older more attractive voices.
And ditto those lifestyle Male Presenters, with cantra tenor voices, plus, all those bulging muscles, and the socks stuffed in the too tight jocks.
Perhaps some helium added to the studio atmosphere would make said presentations more interesting?
Personally, I prefer older women.
In any event, nobody looks at the mantle while stocking the fire!
And breasts pert or jelly on a plate, would not provide any distraction, if the camera angles, simply focused a little higher up!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 15 May 2013 12:30:14 PM
At the end of the day, the only thing that should decide who does what job is merit!

There once was a Minister called Ros,
The Village Idiot is what she's known as,
Who just happened to be thick with Disaster,
The one called the General that is,
Her son she did place in a job,
For which he was neither eligible,
Nor qualified as we did find later,
When queried about his appointment;
The Idiot did claim he had merit;
However the merit this clown did possess,
Was being the son of a goose.

Actually the clown has just recently resigned & dropped out of sight, conveniently as it turns out because a CMC inquiry into the appointment is expected to produce a rather uncomlimentary report on nepotism by Newman / Seeney / Nicholls. This isn't by any means the only example of cushy / overpaid jobs for friends & family of LNP ministers, the General put one of his mates into a high level gubmunt position that its doubtful the appointee ever attended. Mind you that didn't stop him claiming quite a few hundred grand from the public purse. The Village Idiot went one better by appointing one of her cronies into another plum position despite the conflict of interest consequent to the person already consulting to the same entity. Pretty good getting TWO pay packets for doing the same job ?? Still one can't argue the 'merit' issue, any friend or associate of a minister obviously has that in spades !
Posted by praxidice, Wednesday, 15 May 2013 1:08:11 PM
continued

All that aside, one can't ignore the husband of previous QLD premier GoAnna the Blight who just happened to score a certain well-overpaid gubmunt job, the contract pursuant to which just got renewed a day or two before the state election (hmmmm). Seems GoAnna & spouse expected General Disaster to sack his nibs & consequently incur a humungous 'breach of contract' penalty. As it transpired, the not-so-good General decided to retain said clown & engage him in UN-doing what he'd been pretending to do under the previous gubmunt. That didn't appear to sit well as he resigned shortly thereafter. Personally I would have been inclined to call his bluff and demand HE pay compensation for breech of contract however one can only assume that the General was glad to see the end of both GoAnna & spouse. Some galah in Medibank apparently offered her a job ... it her performance as premier is any indication, anyone with shares in Medibank would be well advised to sell up ASAP.
Posted by praxidice, Wednesday, 15 May 2013 1:08:48 PM
praxidice, "(Ex-Premier Anna Bligh's) performance as premier is any indication, anyone with shares in Medibank would be well advised to sell up ASAP".

LOL, you are right and that would apply to so many of her colleagues. The Gillard government moved rapidly to appoint a number of ex-Bligh government heavies to federal government posts.

Who can forget too, former Lord Mayor of Brisbane 'Salaryanne' Atkinson's other than illustrious career as 'Chair' of ABC Learning 2000 to 2008?

Politicians. They have more front than a Council bus. You'd have to bury them head down so they don't still have a hand out.

Waiting to see the appointments on both sides after Sept '13. The left womyn's network Emily's List would be beavering away at fever pitch, but on a falling tide.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 15 May 2013 3:00:59 PM
onthebeach I'd forgotten about the aptly named salaryanne, but then the list of Brisbane mayors included quite a few forgettable folk. I vaguely recall some poor bedraggled specimen who managed to get inundated when a water mains or something broke right beside him & he ended up looking more than a drowned rat than previously (wouldn't have thought it possible), then there was the failed priest Surley Jim who was unceremoniously turfed out of the church by the then pope for getting his rocks off with an anglican. I understand the conversation with the pontiff went something like 'surely you can find a good cattletick to mess with' and 'is it too much to ask that you at least exercise some discretion'. Seems the whole parish knew about Surley Jim & Mary whatever her name was. (I worked with her husband at one point)

Brisbane did have one decent honorable mayor, probably the only one ever to draw breath. Clem Jones did a lot for the city & never accepted a cent of his allocated salary. Mind you he was a successful developer (responsible for most of Carina / Carindale) and hardly in need of a dollar. That said, I'm not aware of even a hint of wrongdoing, even his opponents remember him as a 'good bloke. Incumbent Graham Quirk WAS also the best alderman one could hope for. Unfortunately he got caught up in the CanDo saga and learned far too many bad tricks for my liking. These days he's just another pro-development / pro big-business / if it grows, chop it down, if it moves, shoot it drone.
Posted by praxidice, Wednesday, 15 May 2013 3:25:22 PM
Suseonline,

I am with you if you are talking about the lacklustre ability of some male sporting commentators. Save us all from those racing and punting language and references. Incredible to hear voters being referred to as 'punters' too.

However, none of that disturbs what has been said about the negative outcomes of affirmative action appointments of women in the media. It has been going on for many years though. Bring back merit, everywhere.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 15 May 2013 3:45:04 PM
praxidice,

Clem Jones sewered Brisbane. That was an incredible achievement and went against entrenched interests.

I'd like to see more people with hard skills like engineering entering politics. The problem is that such people are not egocentric, self promoting machines like Salaryanne and Anna Bligh, and they are unlikely to survive pre-selection.

Just talking about ex-Premier Anna Bligh, do you remember Anna sooling her Qld Plod onto bare boobs she espired being 'flaunted' on high rise balconies in Main Beach, Surfers Paradise? That was when she was being driven around the track for the Gold Coast Indy. How the hell she could see them is a mystery (distance, building heights, balustrades etc), but many chuckled at the thought of those cops being diverted to locate the offending nipples. Meanwhile the Russina mafia, OMGs and other gangs involved in drugs bloomed on the glitter coast. But feminist Anna was concerned about bare boobies on the twenty-something floor a kilometre away.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 15 May 2013 4:17:16 PM
onthebeach Wasn't that evil dyke Judy Spence the brains behind the titty girls business ?? GoAnna gave Spence the flick around that time. I recall getting under her skin at a civic cabinet or something, must have been around 2005 or 2006
Posted by praxidice, Wednesday, 15 May 2013 8:25:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy