The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Clive Palmer and the United Australia Party: third option or Liberal spoiler? > Comments

Clive Palmer and the United Australia Party: third option or Liberal spoiler? : Comments

By James English, published 6/5/2013

Palmer’s small target, big brand politics is set to take Coalition votes.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
He seems to be a little more internet literate than the other party bosses. Or atleast he can afford a half decent internet boffin to run the web media side of things. This article got a footnote mention on the UAP facebook page by the way.

http://www.facebook.com/UnitedAustraliaParty

There is also a facebook group which is something I've never seen before. I don't think the other parties have looked into that. Very active with over 800 members. Quite a bold move on Clive's part allowing interactive discussion. Ofcourse many visitors want to know what the UAP policy structure entails. Precious little response to those queries. http://www.facebook.com/UnitedAustraliaParty

I don't know if Clive is going to run out of steam or keep going with this but I know I won't vote for Abbott after he locked up Pauine Hanson. Gillard is gone I think. People just don't want here there. Every poll says the same. Katter is completely mad and I won't be telling my grandkids I helped that cowboy destroy the nation.

Clive is a proven businessman and has the means to actually achieve his goals. He may split the conservative vote but Katter already did that anyhow. At the state election Katter and his son won their seats but that was it. http://www.KattersAustralianParty.org Katter doesn't have the support or money to make a go of it. Maybe if he swaps preferences with Clive his party will be the next National Party but I'm voting for new blood. I'm sick of the other parties.
Posted by United Australia Party, Monday, 6 May 2013 7:58:50 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Palmer's Party, like Katter's and like the Greens, will never win office on its own.
So the question is, to whom will these three direct their preferences?
The answer is fairly obvious: The first two will eventually send their votes to the Coalition, and the last to the ALP.
Posted by halduell, Monday, 6 May 2013 9:07:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The article is assumption built on proposition. Simply put, Clive and his country counterpart are what remains of the moderate middle in today's conservative politics.
I believe Clive has integrity and standards below which he won't go?
I believe he and Katter could nut out a preference swap deal, so that he does spoil the party for the coalition.
Moreover, there is a lot of one nation support still out there looking for candidates to support.
As for Clive standing for Prime Minister, that's is not down to him!
In the extremely unlikely event his party could win enough seats to contemplate that prospect, its not his decision, but rather, the parliamentary party.
And there is a flavour to all this, that is slightly reminiscent of Joh For Canberra! And we all know how that ended.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 6 May 2013 9:10:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*Katter doesn't have the support or money to make a go of it. *

This is exactly why Australian politics is in the mess it is now.
Money buys votes.
We have to have a change in the law that bans lobbying.
Posted by Robert LePage, Monday, 6 May 2013 9:18:54 AM
As already mentioned, Katter's party is already acting as a third wheel, and they're seeking the same groups of voters. The thing is however, nobody who'd intending to vote Katter is likely to put Palmer's group ahead of Katter's group, so Palmer's potential voter base is cut back even further to those conservatives unhappy with Libs, but not willing to vote Katter.

Katter is a nutty fake in my opinion, but it doesn't change the facts that Katter has a platform which has already attracted votes, Palmer's platform is virtually non-existent, and he isn't doing enough development to attract any more than voters cast adrift from any conservative platform base. He's simply heading for a big fail.

PS: Warning, most of the so-called UAP facebook pages are fakes (check their website for the real one).
Posted by Brian Davids, Monday, 6 May 2013 11:58:15 AM
It is about time someone like Clive Palmer gave Australia an alternative. He is a man of action and he is not a lawyer. The writer of this article has studied law in an Australian or British University, and has missed the point completely. If Clive Palmer and his team can raise the disgraceful conduct of the legal profession since 1952, and the degeneration of the Australian Commonwealth, into a cartel governed series of nine republics, with each political entity having its own Supreme Court and cartel, into which only the chosen can enter then the support he will get will be staggering. There are thousands of people who would be productive and making taxable income, if there were not a parasite class conniving to extract money from them before they make any.

I personally have given away the hope that either Labor or The Liberals are serious about law enforcement, and Clive Palmer and his team, by getting some light to shine into this dark aspect of Australian Society, could strike a chord, and give these people the idea that doing the right thing really is the best option. He has to promise that access to a “court” as spelled in the Australian Constitution, with “judges” as spelled in the Australian Constitution, will be as of right and not subject to any whimsical Judge or Magistrate. This is a Christian right, not a privilege to be given only to lawyers. I would like a dollar for every time I have been refused access to both the Federal Courts of Australia and Supreme Court because I want a jury trial with “judges”, not a Judge.

It must almost be a condition precedent on becoming a member of Parliament that the candidate cannot read and understand plain English. Lets get some educated members who are not afraid of the faceless men. Bob Katter has had years to shine that light, bring it on Clive Palmer.
Posted by Peter Vexatious, Monday, 6 May 2013 12:04:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy