The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Look to Peter, not CEOs, to understand the papacy > Comments

Look to Peter, not CEOs, to understand the papacy : Comments

By Joseph Wakim, published 15/2/2013

The first Vicar of Rome, Peter the Apostle, provides a good template for his successors - fallible and humble.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Anyone who pretends that John Paul II was a "true icon" just hasnt done their homework.
Being pedantic as usual I strongly recommend the book by David Yallop The Power & the Glory - The Dark Heart of John Paul IIs Vatican.
A book which thoroughly deconstructs the carefully cultivated image of "holiness" associated with JP II.
Then of course there is always this truth-telling website (with links)
http://popecrimes.blogspot.com
Posted by Daffy Duck, Saturday, 16 February 2013 1:47:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm quite surprised at the level of venom that's emerged about this Pope 'pulling the pin' ? The hells sake he's just an old man, ostensibily retiring due to ill health, therefore just let the bloke go !

Though by some of the language employed herein it sounds like he's the brother in law to Hitler, or Stalin.

I've no truck with religion. I lost all my religion at the foot of the Long Hai's, back in the mid sixties, but I don't go around, demeaning and humiliating the Catholic Church or any other religion for that matter. Gees, there's enough misery and violence in the world today, and if people gain some comfort or relief with their troubled lives, from organised Christian religion, then that's really great, and I'll certainly support it ! I'd much rather they sing Hymns, then turn-up for the morning muster in Long Bay Gaol !

And I'm certainly not seeking to lead the 'cheer squad' in support of the Christian Church, or any other religious group for that matter. I couldn't give a stuff about it, or anyone in it.

By the same token I don't believe anyone has the right to deliberatly set out to mock and malign all of those who choose to follow their Church and it's belief systems. Nor has anyone the right to devalue or humiliate anyone for subscribing to their practices either!

It must be so nice to have the academic ability to quietly sit back and 'intellectualize' about the evils and foibles associated with organised religion. As well as possess the deep intellectual shrewdness and sagacity to know all things, and see all things ?

Myself, I know I'm relatively ignorant about most things. And I'm more than happy to remain that way, and when necessary defer to others who know better. Just an uneducated, retired copper. At least I'm still firmly in touch with reality, in my own suspicious, pragmatic way.
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 16 February 2013 2:20:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
O Sung Wu if we do not have people like Daffy Duck who question the media and its lies, we are all lost, he or she is obviously well read, after reading the website supplied it really concerns me how the public are manipulated to a way of thinking, which consistently is nothing but lies, if you feel that money, and the Vatican is exceedingly wealthy , and is not worth questioning then the media have won, and this is what they want, let's look at the situation with the new Pope, if he has already been chosen then let the press know now to report as such, not pull the wool over every ones eyes when a puff of white smoke emerges," the new God chosen Pope has arrived".
The people on earth are manipulated very easily by the press, not only on this subject but most other readings daily, especially when it comes to war. When are we ever going to get the truth?
Posted by Ojnab, Saturday, 16 February 2013 2:59:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I do not agree that the apostle Peter was the first Pope. That is just Roman Catholic propaganda.
I also do not believe that the Pope is infallible.
He makes mistakes, just like the rest of us.
He is just a man, like any other man, a sinner who needs to repent.
I am a born-again christian, and do not recognise any roman catholic authority.
However,I do accept that the Bible has more authority than the Vatican or any person who is held captive by the authority of the Vatican.

Now, that is the Truth.
Posted by saved sinner, Saturday, 16 February 2013 3:14:08 PM
G'afternoon to you OJNAB...

Yeah I do understand, and I appreciate your point. The bloke's just a bloke, skin and bone like us all, I realise that.

It's just in my time, when I was in the job, I've seen so many young people, M & F to the point of suicide and somehow these Christian people 'lobbed' and pulled 'em back from the brink. True, ultimately some of them did manage to neck themselves, but others didn't.

Even when I was in the detectives, I carried a card given me by the then, deputy Director of 'Lifeline' in Darlinghurst, in Sydney. You'd have a potential suicide, give them a ring and often by just that brief intercession on my part, you may be able to save a life, and a helluva lot of paperwork too !.

Please, OJNAB don't think of me as some 'goody two shoes', if they want to neck themselves, OK do it ! Trouble is, it does create a lot of paperwork for police. ID at the morgue, custody private property of deceased, inform the 'rellies', institute peripheral inquiries, and finally the Coroners Court. You see, sometimes a five or ten minute chat, a phone call or two, can occasionally avoid all that work ?

In all the time I spent as a copper and detective, there are very few suicides amongst younger people, where the victim actually WANTED to neck themselves. Mostly, it's a call for help. Just a talk, a shoulder to cry on...something, few actually want to die ! One young girl c.19-25, I gave her 10 out of my own wallet, she was so distressed, worried she would receive another dreadful hiding from her brutish father...long story, I had a 'robust' chat with him, seemed to work, last I heard (there's some real 'maggots' around) ? That's been my experience, having spoken to many survivors and witnesses !

I'm sure some 'boofheaded' academic will tell us all differently ?

Thanks OJNAB for your response.
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 16 February 2013 4:49:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
and the choice of the last 3 Labour leaders? Those in favour should butt right out of this one.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 16 February 2013 5:05:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy