The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Edideology > Comments

Edideology : Comments

By Kevin Donnelly, published 8/11/2012

Ignored is that while geographically a part of Asia, Australia is a Western, liberal democracy.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I find it interesting in that your an agnostic , how come your the only Education employee that doesn't Hail to the great Julia ?
Posted by Garum Masala, Thursday, 8 November 2012 4:40:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Even *geographically* we're not part of Asia.
When I went to school, we learnt there were 7 continents, and "Asia" and "Australia" were *two* of them.
In tectonic plate terms, the only Asian country of significance is India (and the Indian and Australian sections are apparently going to separate), where English is a standard part of education.

Isn't is the BRIC countries where development is taking off?
Strange how we never hear about "engaging" with Brazil.

Or Russia, which while it holds much Asian land, most of its population (and therefore industry) is at the European end.

Brazil and Russia also share much ethnic heritage, being essentially European/Christian in character.

All I ever hear about connecting with "Asia" is China, China, China.
A country we have no overlapping heritage with whatsoever, and is still ruled by a totalitarian regime.
We have more in common with Armenia (yes, it's in Asia!).

How about we "engage" with democratic countries, primarily those with which we share some cultural similarities.
Posted by Shockadelic, Thursday, 8 November 2012 5:19:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Can't you all see that Julia is well-meaning and kindly trying to help by preparing us for the future?

Knowledge of an Asian language will be a crucial life-saving asset after the invasion: suppose our captors shout "Jump Left" and we jump right, or they command "on your knees" and we stand on our head instead because we don't understand what they say - that's a straight bullet in the head!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 8 November 2012 6:09:03 PM
Relax, history tells us that Chinese are poor soldiers, they have been overwhelmingly victims of outside aggression they've have shown themselves to be pushovers when threatened and hopeless incompetents when on the attack, it's highly unlikely that China would ever be able to "invade" and hold another country.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Thursday, 8 November 2012 8:19:14 PM
Hi Jay,

<<it's highly unlikely that China would ever be able to "invade" and hold another country.>>

Oh, and what about Tibet?

(and if not for the Americans, wouldn't it be Taiwan too?)

Never mind, I AM relaxed because due to my age it won't happen in my times, but we were discussing school kids, haven't we, which need to bear the weight of earthly life for many more years.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 8 November 2012 8:27:27 PM
Kevin,
I do agree with the thrust of your article. It is an excellent and articulate opinion.

However I do have an issue with this Judeo-Christian heritage you claim is the basis of Western Liberal Democracies?

A quick check of an online dictionary says

Judeo
'a combining form representing Judaic, or Judaism, in compound words: Judeo-Christian'

So another logical check reveals
Judiasm
'1. of or relating to the Jews or Judaism

2. a less common word for Jewish'

Now without appearing to be 'half-smart' nor intending offence, Kevin to claim our Western Heritage derives from Judism is nonsensical for at least three reasons.

Firstly Christ rejected Judaism and was crucified for that. Our heritage comes from Christ's new testament and particularly 'The Sermon on the Mount' not from the Old Testament which is derived from the book of Judaism. (The one Christ rejected.

Secondly, Kevin what about our Greek heritage? Wasn't that the source of our democratic system. Wasn't that the basis of our great conversation as carried on throughout our history by our mostly libertarian academics, philosophers and thinkers?

Thirdly and related to the first. Judaic law is based on vengence, 'An eye for an eye' and as evidenced in the modern setting by the barbaric and warlike nature of the modern Israelis?
Our western Justice system is based on the forgiving nature of our Christian ethos. 'Turn the other check' and 'do unto others....' shoulld be ringing in your ears about now.

Look I know it is quite common to use the term Judeo Christian Heritage in reference to our traditions but when it is analysed and boiled down I think you would agree the common usage is deceptive and erroreous. It doesn't convey an accurate perception of our true heritage and omits our logical traditions from the Greeks.

Cheers
Posted by imajulianutter, Thursday, 8 November 2012 11:59:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy