The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Edideology > Comments

Edideology : Comments

By Kevin Donnelly, published 8/11/2012

Ignored is that while geographically a part of Asia, Australia is a Western, liberal democracy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Imajulianutter, I was impressed by your comment. It gets rid of the falseness of the Judeo-Christian union and, of course, the Greeks were the ones that set up much of our world for 2,000 years.

The only point I would make is that the 'Christian' nation of America, since 1945, has shown few of the Christian principles as it goes about trying to gain global control of the world.

It has killed and injured millions during its imperial agenda and destroyed whole countries and left them with horrors like depleted uranium and Agent Orange. This 'Christian' nation has refined rendition and torture and, more recently, has employed drones and phosphorous munitions as part of it 'Spreading democracy and human right' deception.

It will in due course, use nukes while singing, "Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam'!
Posted by David G, Friday, 9 November 2012 2:22:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu,
Tibet and Taiwan are part of China and in the case of Tibet they had little to defend themselves with, China would struggle to even invade much less control a country like Vietnam or Thailand whereas India, Japan or Korea could defeat China in a stand up fight.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Saturday, 10 November 2012 6:41:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Jay,

If/When China takes over Australia, its propagandists will claim that Australia was "always" a part of China and that now the poor people of Australia were finally unified with their motherland; and that those few retrogrades who still claim otherwise will soon be done and over with (and if you're good you may even win a free kidney or liver off them).

So alright, at the moment their army is not that strong because they prefer building an economy, but when over a billion people are hungry their priorities can quickly change.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 11 November 2012 2:15:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu may have a point.
When I arrived at my local station this morning a train had
arrived with a big mob of high school boys.
At least 65% of them were Chinese, another 20% were Indian and the rest
were Australian.
Perhaps Pauline Hanson was right after all.

However those who think Australia is in Asia have a distorted view of the real world.
Their view is as distorted as the world maps on their schoolroom walls.
Is no one aware that Asia is on the other side of the world from Australia
and that Asia is closer to Europe than Australia ?
Is no one aware that the US is closer to Asia than Australia ?
Is no one aware that on Mercador's projections that a degree of
latitude in the Nth hemisphere is 30 % larger than it is in the Sthn hemisphere ?
Is no one aware that degrees of longitude are parallel in Mercadors
projections ?

As a further shock to their senses, Indonesia and the Philipines
are NOT in Asia !

Wakey wakey !
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 12 November 2012 4:15:10 PM
Whether one Asian language will be made a compulsory subject or not, it is of course for Australians to decide. Whichever it may be, it is a difficult and ,perhaps on account of this, interetingly exotic language for school boys and girls.

It is a good thing that there are Australia and New Zealand down there or up there. They are the bridge between East and South East Asia and the West.

What I have wanted to see is more frequent visits by Japanese prime and foreign ministers, etc. to Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia and other South East Asian countiries.
What I have wanted mass media to do is to write more news from these countires.
Posted by Michi, Monday, 12 November 2012 4:28:42 PM
Kevin Donnelly wrote 8 November 2012:

> Prime Minister Gillard’s Asian White paper represents an ... attempt to take control of the nation’s classrooms in order to enforce a utilitarian, Asian-centric agenda on schools ...

I am just back from talking about education at an Indonesian Islamic State university: http://tomw.net.au/technology/it/sustainable_development_through_green_ict/

My impression from this, and looking at how education is organised in Malaysia, is that the Australian government's white paper is a long way from the centralist state based approach you fear. Also a little discipline and organisation may not be bad for our education system.

> Prime Minister will pressure every child to study at least one Asian language. ...

A second language would not seem such a bad idea for our children. I felt very much a second class citizen in Indonesia, as I speak only English and most people around me could speak at least three languages.

> Australia is a Western, liberal democracy ...

Perhaps we could broaden that approach a little. In visiting an Islamic university, what struck me was that, apart from the different religious decoration on the buildings, how much like an Australian university it was. The emphasis on religious values of the Islamic university did not feel that different to somewhere like the Australian Catholic University.

> Ignored is that education is essentially a human affair and that no amount of surfing the net or entering virtual classrooms can replace face to face contact. ...

Yes, face to face contact is useful for education, particularly for younger children. But for upper secondary, vocational and university education, e-learning is very effective. Here is the presentation on teaching online I gave in Indonesia: http://tomw.net.au/technology/it/sustainable_development_through_green_ict/

> As argued by Pope Benedict XVI is a 2011 ...

Pope Benedict XVI also spoke positively of the role of the Internet in study and in pastoral care on 7 February 2011: http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/speeches/2011/february/documents/hf_ben-xvi_spe_20110207_cong-educ-cattolica_en.html
Posted by tomw, Monday, 12 November 2012 5:11:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy