The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The gay marriage debate > Comments

The gay marriage debate : Comments

By Ken Davis, published 30/7/2012

My chief concern is that when anyone expresses a contrary view, whether it is on religious, or like our PM - sociocultural grounds - they are abused and labelled as homophobic and intolerant.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
"I believe there is no reasonable legal or ethical basis for a secular pluralistic state like Australia to oppose gay marriage."

Legally, for a start, marriage fails to be consummated should same sex partners attempt to enter into a marriage. Sexual coupling by penis in anus or dildo in vagina is dysfunctional by any definition.

A same sex marriage fails ethically, as an outside agent such as a surrogate or sperm donor would be required to make reproduction possible
Posted by Raycom, Wednesday, 1 August 2012 1:10:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Raycom,

<<Legally, for a start, marriage fails to be consummated>>

It's the first time I ever hear of the term "consummation" to be mentioned in legislation: could you please point me where it is and how it applies?

Also, perhaps you may know, does the law refer to "sexual coupling" at all?
What then of an elderly couple who no longer has the ability and/or inclination to engage in sex?

In any case, it is wrong for the state and its laws to have anything to do with marriage and/or [consensual-]sex. As I mentioned above, the state of Australia does not currently oppose gay marriage - it merely does not provide that service. Hopefully it will cease providing heterosexual-marriage services as well and leave it as a private matter for individuals, their churches (or other voluntary bodies for those not interested in a religious wedding), families and friends.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 1 August 2012 2:28:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazz:

<Don't worry, they will die out.>

...No Bazz, they will not unfortunately; heterosexuals keep on breeding more of them: It’s a curse!
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 1 August 2012 3:38:17 PM
Yuyutsu

Grounds for annulment of a marriage include failure to consummate the marriage by heterosexual sexual relations. By definition, sexual coupling by same-sex partners is not heterosexual.

Australian marriage law does not provide for, and consequently rules out, socalled gay marriage. Under Australian law, marriage is between a man and a woman.

It is illogical to argue that socalled gay marriage is equal to heterosexual marriage.
Posted by Raycom, Monday, 6 August 2012 12:18:43 AM
Consummate :
Sexual intercourse, Complete or Fulfil, Complete
Absolutly no mention of only hetrosexual involvement in Consummate.
Raycom, fail must try harder!!
Posted by Kipp, Monday, 6 August 2012 11:36:25 AM
Dear Raycom,

Thank you for the information - I truly wasn't aware that annulment exists in Australian legislation.

Marriage is a sacred religious affair and so the state should keep its filthy hands right out of it.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 6 August 2012 11:56:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy