The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Death by Drone: The ghost and the machine > Comments

Death by Drone: The ghost and the machine : Comments

By Kathy Kelly, published 6/3/2012

Victims of the drone talk about being on the other end of the Whitehouse's computer screen.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Death by Suicide Vest: The ghost & Islam

Jenny, age 25, lives in London, the central city of London. She married about six years ago, and gave birth to a son, Jimmy, who just turned five without a father. Jenny tells her son, Jimmy, that his father was killed by an Islamic terrorist with an explosive suicide vest, controlled by Aymal's father's friends in Pakistan.

That July, in 2007, Jimmy's father was sitting in a bus in London peacefully with four other men. A terrorist Islamic bomber, detonated a suicide vest bomb on the bus, killing all five men & many others.

Continued in the same vain....

It fails me Kathy as to why you are picking on the Free World &, by your omission, haven't mentioned fundamental the reason why this happens. Islamic Terrorist organizations. Are you praising the Islamic suicide bombers controllers, by your omission, & condeming the drone controllers?

It seems to me that you are in favour of what the Islamic terrorists do, but not in favour of the Free Worlds efforts to eliminate the cause of the problem.
Posted by Jayb, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 9:17:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you Ms Kelly. This is an important article because we don't often read of the other side of the story - the impact of war on civilians.

I can't understand how a previous post sees this article as being in support of suicide bombers. Seems pretty clear to me Ms Kelly is speaking against all war and violence. Just because she is criticising US drone policy doesn't automatically mean she supports suicide bombers. I think that sort of either-or "with us or against us" thinking is what politicians rely on to justify tit-for-tat atrocities. Instead, someone in power needs to show some real strength and leadership and just STOP adding to the number of unlawful killings.

The UN's Philip Alston raises a powerful point which demands more attention than it's getting: "In a situation in which there is no disclosure of who has been killed, for what reason, and whether innocent civilians have died, the legal principle of international accountability is, by definition, comprehensively violated.” If the so-called 'leader of the free world' violates international law and continues to conduct a campaign of covert killings when it is known that many innocent civilians are being killed, we are left to wonder where humanity is headed.
Posted by M Fahy, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 10:51:41 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
M Fahy: Ms Kelly is speaking against all war and violence.

I have no problem with ending wars & violence. Unfortunately violence is an endemic part of war.

"Someone" has just got to stop deliberately killing innocent civilians in the name of their Religion or Political ambitions. It is easy to point the finger at a Government of a particular Country trying to protect it's citizens, as they are a visable entity. It is much harder to point a finger at a clandestine organization. Organizations that are hellbent on creating chaos & destruction on innocent civilians of any Country that doesn't share their view of their God.

M Fahy: In a situation in which there is no disclosure of who has been killed, for what reason, and whether innocent civilians have died.

I have never seen any disclosure from a terrorist Organization explaining why they had to unlawfully kill any particular innocent civilians in their random bombings. eg; London, Spain & the USA. M Fahy, I demand that you demand, an explanation of the Terrorist Organizations as to the reason each particular person had to die unlawfully in each of these places.

One of the reasons that the families of terrorists die with them is because they keep their families close. If they are killed so will be their families & they can capitalize on that & garner sympathy from such as yourself. Another reason is that they consider their wives & children to be chattles. They don't trust their fellow terrorists. Women left alone are prone to rape, then buried up to their necks & stoned, because they were unfaithful. As you would in any civilized society.

M Lahy: we are left to wonder where humanity is headed.

Left up to the likes of you & your fellow travellers. I say to a very bad place.
Posted by Jayb, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 11:36:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is a sad fact that in armed conflict that civilians are caught in the cross fire, and that the only way to stop civilians being killed is to stop all warfare.

What the first poster was trying to say, somewhat inarticulately is that the huge difference between the Taliban and the US is that the US is at least trying not to kill civilians. That they make mistakes, and end up with civilian casualties still places them morally way ahead of those that set off car bombs in market places.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 11:46:08 AM
Anyone notices Syria recently?

Now that definitely is innocents.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 12:03:15 PM
Simplistic.

This is typical anti-war ( brought to us by Bin Laden ) rhetoric , nothing more.

Also, Reprieve’s Director Clive Stafford Smith should dream up an original quote , although he did have to go back almost 2000 years to plagiarize that one.

Also , I find it hard to accept that the Americams targeted 5 innocent men, having tea and bickies in a garden (in Pakistan ? ),and decided to wipe them out for the fun of it.

Maybe the quote should have been one of Pattons'

either

“No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards die for their country.”

or

“May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.”
Posted by Aspley, Tuesday, 6 March 2012 12:11:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy