The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > CAM includes the medicine of love > Comments

CAM includes the medicine of love : Comments

By Kay Stroud, published 10/2/2012

The field of spirituality is the newest frontier in medicine.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
If I want healing, I'll go to a doctor.

If I want to pay for love, I'll go to Kings Cross.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 10 February 2012 6:19:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If I want to pay for love, I'll go to Kings Cross.
Jon J,
I can't tell from your post if you're brilliant in sarcasm or a total failure in understanding.
Please elaborate, thank you.
Posted by individual, Friday, 10 February 2012 6:36:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have no personal animosity to the concept of complementary and alternative medicine, in exactly the same way that I have no personal animosity towards the concept of the power of prayer in the process of healing. However, they both - for me at least - fall into the same category as sky-diving or bungee-jumping: mostly harmless, but not something in which I would voluntarily participate.

People who have done either or both (sky-diving and bungee-jumping, that is) tell me tales of how unbelievably cathartic it is, how "liberated" they felt while in free-fall, and how their lives were oh-so-much richer for the experience.

And hey, I believe them.

But as far as our education system is concerned, I'd put the value of a university course in complementary and alternative medicine at precisely the same level as sky-diving and bungee-jumping.

That's not to say, of course, that we will not soon see university degrees awarded for bungee-jumping - heck, there are some pretty wacky degrees out there already - and if it helps the kids to "get a job", then that is a reflection of the realities of the world we have created, not the university.

Altogether a fascinating article, and one I will probably read again when I really feel desperately sad about the inanity that seems to be the new societal norm. But I will still probably gag at this:

"I can back up the data with personal experiences using prayer in Christian Science for healthcare"

Of course you can. And most of them will say "well, we tried. But God must have been busy somewhere else that day."
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 10 February 2012 7:56:53 AM
Unfortunately for the author, research has indeed been conducted on the efficacy of prayer in healing.

It showed that those who were being prayed for, and knew they were being prayed for, actually had worse health outcomes than control groups.

Perhaps there is a God, and he just hates prayer groups?
Posted by Clownfish, Friday, 10 February 2012 8:57:05 AM
As one who has had a similar "near death" experience as Kerry Packer, in one of the very few ways I agree with him, there is nothing there.

The whole premise of this article is arrant nonsense, especially when it becomes clear that this is from a "Christian Scientist" follower.

There are many surprising things that happen in the healing process, but the one commonality is that it is the body itself which does the healing and that conventional medicine's role is to facilitate this. I suppose that allows space for CAM procedures, so long as they only soothe the mind of the patient.

As for me, I'll stick to proper scientific medicine thanks.
Posted by jimoctec, Friday, 10 February 2012 9:06:32 AM
'I have no personal animosity to the concept of complementary and alternative medicine'

How could one hold animosity towards such an amusing concept.

Sure thinking positively works up to a point, no matter how far fethed the reasons.

In the end we all know when it comes to something like cancer, only 'fighters' survive and are 'heros', and anyone who 'lets it beat them' is a wimpy loser.

Just like anyone who has just died is an alround good guy who lived for their family.

'And hey, I believe them.'

I don't. I have done both too. It was a rush of adrenalin and I was high for hours after, I even scored that night, but have no desire to do it again, a pretty poor advertisment for something supposedly life-changing.

I actually think there should be a university degree in cricket. Such an intricate game with so many social, philospohical and moral parallels to everyday life, there would barely be enough time to cover an adequate curriculum.

Swing bowling 101, 201, 301 core units

Spin Bowling core units 101, 102, 201, 202, 301, 302 would barely
cover even a basic understanding. Perhaps it should be covered in a doctorate.

Captaincy fundamentals, and the inconsitency, duplicity, grandstanding and hypocracy of Ian Chappel.

Mental Fragility, Sledging and playing the race card

ICC Politics

Record Accumulation vs Aggression and entertaining the crowds

Cricket Statistics, and the science of comparing records of players from different eras.

Pitch reading and preparation

Captain Cranky's vs Metrosexual Cliche Masters

Style vs substance

Marking time before the new ball, tempting fate against the provocation of part-timer bowlers and ego management and manipulation

The psychology of becoming a rabble in the field and body language.

The cycles of form, media and public perception and chance.

Flat track bullies, and the days before helmets, roped-in outfields and 2 inch thick bats.

The abomination that is Twenty20; The corruption of purity, human rights of bowlers, the general desecration of the spiritual world by the fast media money and entertainment of the unwashed.
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 10 February 2012 9:19:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy