The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Palestine - flag flies, UNESCO cries, legality dies > Comments

Palestine - flag flies, UNESCO cries, legality dies : Comments

By David Singer, published 9/1/2012

UNESCO's decision to admit Palestine as a member has consequences for UNESCO.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Palistine has a right to exist as does Israel.Perhaps China,Russia or even Iran can give some money to UNESCO and fill the breach.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 9 January 2012 7:01:44 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay. I agree with you that Palestine has the right to exist, as does any other legally (internationally recognised) constituted state. This is a political position held by me personally, but whether my political views have a legal effect is another matter entirely; I may also have a political view supportive of gay marriage, euthenasia or the banning of any form of leaf blower use on a sunday morning. Whilst not wishing to trivialise the gravity of the suject matter here, without the requirement of appropriate law, we have chaos. Is it 107 or 129 votes? a simple enough question surely.
I can only presume the appropriate UNESCO legal team were on sabatical at the time the resolution was accepted? A challange to the constitutional validity of this action must surely have been anticipated or is this an excuse to challenge the morality of American domestic policy.
Again I agree with Arjay, in that those countries who voted in favour of the resolution would surely have been prepared to make up the shortfall of funds??
Posted by Prompete, Monday, 9 January 2012 8:31:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So hurting people who are recipients of assistance from UNESCO is ok in David Singers mish-mash morality.

It is not UNESCO who will suffer, David it is the people who receive benefit from the activites of UNESCO who will suffer.

Surely as a lawyer you considered that notion before you launched this latest propaganda exercise, didn't you?

David in the west we believe the ends never justify the means.

As a lawyer you should know that. Why do you show support for views opposite to those you accept as a lawyer?
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 9 January 2012 10:15:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David you understand what you are ranting against?

UNESCO<

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations.
Its stated purpose is to contribute to peace and security by promoting international collaboration through education, science, and culture in order to further universal respect for justice, the rule of law, and human rights along with fundamental freedoms proclaimed in the UN Charter.

Why don't you support an organisation that wants to futhur peace and security, David?

One could rightly assume, with their withdrawal, neither the US nor Israel has that objective as a priority.

Right David?
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 9 January 2012 10:22:31 AM
How ironic that David Singer a pro-Israeli advocate in Australia should be concerned with the legality of the recognition by UNESCO of Palestine. Israel is the biggest rouge state in the UN and consistently disobeys UN laws and resolutions.

Its record on human rights is appalling least of which is the illegal siege on Gaza, the stealing of Palestinian land to build illegal settlements in the West Bank. Ethnic cleansing of Jerusalem where Palestinians families who have occupied their homes for hundreds of years are tossed out for the latest Jewish arrival from Brooklyn.

It commits piracy in international waters indiscriminately killing the occupants of ships bringing humanitarian aid for Gaza. It arrests Palestinians without charge and throws them in their filthy prisons where they aren't permitted representation or to see their families. They are often tortured and held indefinitely to be used as bargaining chips when they want to negotiate the return of one of their captured soldiers.

They use the most obscene weapons on civilians, weapons where UN legislation has banned their use. They assassinate Palestinians around the world. They spy on friend and foe alike cynically using their diplomatic immunity to steal passports and other legal documents for their spies.

I could go on and on of the illegalities of this uncivilized state but I would need a book. As for returning to the Oslo accords and the Bush's road to peace Israel has made totally unacceptable preconditions that make a resumption of peace talks impossible.It also has broken a promise at Oslo to cease building settlements.

Mr Singer your concern for the legality of the UN should start by bringing Israel to account for its innumerable breaches of UN law. Palestine joining UNESCO harms no one. Israel's illegal and unwarranted attacks on Lebanon and Gaza and the mass murder of their civilians is illegal and has far more consequences on peace in the Middle East which day by day is becoming an illusion.
Posted by Ulis, Monday, 9 January 2012 10:29:45 AM
So.... UNESCO, fundamentally, is an agency that perports to " Further Universal respect for Justice, the rule of law and human rights" ... So is it 107 votes or 129 votes?

Must look up my definition of 'rant';
is it the Singer piece or a diatribe incorporating "Rogue state, Illegal seige, piracy, ethnic cleansing, Indiscriminate killing, torture, Assasination, Unwarranted attacks and mass murder". Do hope the kalashnikof was being fired into the air whilst that was written!

'Onya' Singer, just keep comming back for more....
Posted by Prompete, Monday, 9 January 2012 12:49:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy