The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > From Father Christmas to the governing class > Comments

From Father Christmas to the governing class : Comments

By Christopher Monckton, published 9/12/2011

Letter dictated by Santa Claus to Christopher Monckton as they both attend the Climate Change Conference in Durban

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
I want to live in the sort of cloud-cukoo land where Monckton resides...it would make life so much simopler and easier...just make up a story whenever you like and treat it as fact - brilliant!
Posted by Phil Matimein, Friday, 9 December 2011 1:55:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lord Christopher you tell us poor commoners what we really want to hear - that it'll all be OK and the notion that climate catastrophes will increase due to our carbon pollution is nonsense. And in such dulcet cultured English tones cite your own selected factoids - so convincing to the innocent among us.

Unfortunately for you and the obscenely rich and greedy 1% corporate overlords whom you represent, the majority of us are not so innocent and the rest of us are becoming less so.

Maybe a skilled childrens' author will distill your fantasies into a really good fairy tale for our grandchildren.
Posted by Roses1, Friday, 9 December 2011 2:44:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
(Apologies in advance for the verse - letters from Santa have that effect on me)

"Twas the night before Christmas when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care
In hopes that St Nicholas soon would be there

But Santa was cosying up to a toff
Who maintained that warming was a big load of tosh
"Think of the greening we help to maintain
By filling the skies with much acid rain"

So let's write a letter full of fanciful rot
Satire, I think, will just be the shot
You hold the pen, Lord, put your brain out of gear
I'll tell the folks they've got nothing to fear

Except for the governing class, I'll invoke
If they get their way, the 1% will go broke
We all know consuming is good for our "growth"
And carbon excess relies on plenty of both

After all, exclaimed Santa, what would I do
If chimneys were outlawed, I'd have to shoot through
I say, said Lord Monckton, there just one more thing
The North pole is melting - I hope you can swim
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 9 December 2011 3:30:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As expected, many are playing the man, not the ball.

Hardly surprising, given the fact the he's such an inviting target, being a self-deluding, arrogant Pommie nutter. But the underlying question still needs to be addressed.

Is the "cure" likely to be more painful, or less painful, than the disease? Is adaptation to changed circumstances not a more constructive approach, given the horrendous impact on the world economy of the planned preventative measures. Let's face it, if we chose adaptation, it wouldn't then matter if AGW forecasts proved to be bang-on accurate, or merely a statistical blip.

Surely, even the most ardent AGW proponent can pause for a moment to ask that question. And some might even give it some dispassionate attention.

Hey, who am I kidding?

Hysteria that the sky is about to fall provides far more self-satisfaction, is far more exciting, and far less taxing on the brain, than calm and sober reflection.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 9 December 2011 3:34:32 PM
Thanks 'MiLord' - at least your post has generated some thoughtful blog reponses - thanks Pericles and Squeers for yours.

Yes I agree that the statement 'we can't buy a cure for AGW'is true but the questions is to what extent. AGW cant be cured - we're already suffering consequesnces and the rate of suffering will increase.

But by God we've got to do something to slow it down or it will be curtains for civilization as we know it. And yes we'll have to spend a lot on mitigation - from building standards to resettlement of residents of low lying areas.

Taxing carbon (yes carbon cap and trade is still a tax) is the 'least pain' way to a low carbon economy. Even if the carbon price exceeds $100 per t CO2e it won't lead to economic ruin. Paying 30c per unit for electricity would still be cheap.

Carbon tax merely shifts tax from labour (to be encouraged) to polluting (bad; to be discouraged). It is a progressive tax but only if all, including industry and transport who are as yet exempt - pay it in full. That will be the next battle.

Limiting AGW (to cure it is impossible), will require political will world wide. Can be done by the 'power of one' - individuals getting involved and 'spreading the action'. I think we'll need to operate on 'war footing' to change the way we as a civilization do industry, taxation, transport, agriculture and business.

As you say Squeers, we'll have to be willing to tighten our belts, work hard and demand the same from the recalcitrant wealth class. That starts with ousting recalcitrant politicians at the ballot box; also some mobilization on the streets outside the offices of the powerful. Long live the 'Occupy movement'

I am a veteran of the non violent occupation that saved the native forests of the Franklin - Gordon valley. It worked. That was small, this is huge and will take much longer but the principles are the same.
Posted by Roses1, Friday, 9 December 2011 4:17:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
John Ryan = Stupid
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 9 December 2011 5:02:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All