The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Adding more Salt to the wounds of Gen Y > Comments

Adding more Salt to the wounds of Gen Y : Comments

By Fiona Heinrichs, published 3/8/2011

Debating the past and the future with Bernard Salt.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Not in the slightest, wallumi. Not in the slightest.

>>Pericles you suppose Mr Salt's disinterest in academic detail as an excuse for his silence in the face of Fiona's request for debate.<<

I do not suppose Mr Salt's disinterest. (Or to avoid ambiguity, lack of interest, which is the meaning I suspect you intended). That is for him to sort out. The observation on Ms Heinrich's contribution to the debate was mine alone. And again for the sake of clarity, how do we know that any such request was made in the message? Typically, the article leaves out key information points, a habit quite common to Ms Heinrich's writings.

The suppositions are all yours. The supposition that a request was made, in an appropriate fashion, in the first place. The supposition that the message was actually received. The supposition that a reply is not, in fact on Mr Salt's to-do list. None of this is made clear.

>>It also seems odd that yourself and the opening commentator both see Fiona's article as hostile.<<

And it appears that you equally suppose that there was no intent in the article to heap scorn or opprobrium ? Wow. You are unable to detect the sarcasm ("apparently this does not apply to himself"), or the faux-surprise ("I would have thought that...") that decorate the article at every turn?

>>Do you think she should be more circumspect, or perhaps even dutifully respectful...<<

Not necessarily. She is free to choose her method of communication, as we all are. It does occur to me that there may be better ways to engage than a single random message, that may or may not have contained a request for a debate, in language that may or may not have been clear and unambiguous, and in a manner that may or may not have been courteous.

Given the lady's preferred method of communication with us, which I personally would categorize as a sketchy, randomly constructed mini-lecture, it would be interesting to see how, exactly, that message was phrased.

We may never know.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 3 August 2011 4:11:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah Fiona, the stories I could tell you about emails ...

Here is a hint for further ref. If people don't respond to email it either means:

1. they hate you
2. they hate emails
3. they didn't get the email
4. they have better things to do

But don't jump to conclusion #1 too quickly.

I actually went to a public meeting in Melbourne some time ago when some poet guy who wrote a book about how we're all doomed through population got up and debated Salt about population - and Salt wiped the floor with him.

Yeah - Salt isn't a demographer. He's an urban geographer.
Posted by Cheryl, Wednesday, 3 August 2011 4:25:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@ Baygon & Wallumi.
Fiona left out another crippling legacy passed to her generation from the Boomers, cultural relativism.
Was Malthus right or wrong about Europeans?
See White people overcome scarcity, so Malthusian arguments don't apply to us, all things are not equal, we can build farms in the desert, we can turn sand into glass, we can turn sewage into drinking water.
The only time you see White people starving is if another group of Whites deliberately oppressing them.
Ditto Africans, they do OK if there are no White people interfering with them, but if they're starving it's usually something to do with Western Globalists.
Then if they're overcoming scarcity it'll be with the help of benevolent White people.

Malthusian arguments only apply in discussions with a pre determined outcome, it's closed system thinking promoted to sustain the closed system of petro capitalism.
Nobody would be talking about Malthus if we weren't living under an oligarchy which is dependent of fossil fuels, there'd be a photo of Tesla or some other wild eyed White guy on the wall of every school room.
"Race is real and it matters" is what we call "Wide Sky" thinking, don't worry about the Africans, there's some brainy little White person who will figure out a solution to world hunger and untap free energy and a whole bunch of other White people who are determined to see Africans thrive.
Don't sweat the small stuff, worry about getting rid of the Petro Oligarchs and bringing in a new energy system, the rest will sort itself out.
Think wide sky.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Wednesday, 3 August 2011 5:56:07 PM
Mr Salt and KPMG make huge amounts of money from his populate or perish message so Salt has incentive to keep on saying the same thing, no matter how nutty it is. It's the same process that keeps a poor old mouse pushing a lever to get a piece of cheese. I guess that Mr Salt doesn't know how to do anything else. He isn't a force for the public good. He is a commercial lab-rat. Another thing is that a lot of people, young and old, have been schooled to think (perhaps like Pericles) that anyone who has made a lot of money out of something must be right. Look at how everyone kowtows to Mr Murdoch. Right now there is an inquiry in Britain about the reprehensible antics of his media, but you can be pretty sure that not much will happen about this, because he is rich and many people simply cannot believe that the mainstream media and the government are dominated by rich but stupid people with the ability to blackmail politicians too. But then, the rich can also afford good lawyers, whereas most of us can only afford not to break the law. Murdoch media do publish some anti-growth stuff, but only a drop in their ocean of greed-is-good growthist stuff mixed in with some page 3 girls. Mr Salt writes for the Herald Sun occasionally. All the growthists just merge into one, really, one big public-private land-speculation snow-job.

Good on Fiona for issuing that challenge to that hoary old Salt. It shows the man up, again, which can't happen enough. Growth doesn't pay for itself and it already costs me more than money, so keep at it Fiona.
Posted by BiancaDog, Wednesday, 3 August 2011 6:12:56 PM
And another thing..
We're a race of dreamers but we're also too modest.
White people's dreams have a consistent record of coming true.
There are a lot of White people who dream of ending world hunger.
A world without hunger will become a reality.
Let's just stop kidding ourselves about it being a team effort,and spare ourselves the false modesty, the answers which will end global poverty will come from some White brainiac in Switzeralnd, or Ireland or Australia or Ukraine.
This is the true meaning of "White Pride", anyone wonder why those words are to the Petro Parasites as Garlic is to Vampires?
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Wednesday, 3 August 2011 6:15:26 PM
I am depressed by the level of misogyny abroad in Australia at the moment, directed primarily at the Prime Minister but now at Fiona Heinrichs whose previous article on OLO was quite wonderful. Her desire to debate Bernard Salt is perfectly legitimate. I heard him speak a few months ago in Canberra and he is full of alarming claims that indicate a total absence of any environmental awareness. For instance, he said, how great it will be when the Antarctic Treaty finishes because it will allow us to exploit all the mineral wealth down there. Sorry, but some of us would prefer to leave it as a pristine wilderness. He has no concept of climate change or peak oil and the consequences thereof. Fiona, on the other hand, does indeed understand these things. We lucky to have a young woman of such breadth of understanding in our midst.
Posted by popnperish, Wednesday, 3 August 2011 6:24:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy