The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Christian guys and porkie pies > Comments

Christian guys and porkie pies : Comments

By Jane Douglas, published 30/5/2011

An inside perspective on religion in schools from a former fundamentalist pastor's wife.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Hah! I think I got Poe'd! Got caught out because I had a similar argument thrown at me in earnest recently. Ignorance quickly drains my sense of humour. Ignorant bigotry makes me want to kill.

For the record...First time listener, first time poster.
Posted by Warthog, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 7:31:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Ignorant bigotry makes me want to kill."
Welcome Warthog, and it is great to see a new poster with similar views to my own :)

Houellebecq <"Well runner the good lord has blessed me with such abilities. I see things much clearer every day. So in that sense, it's not really about rights, it's about my obligation to use these god given talents."
Lol Houellebecq! Glad to see you using your obvious talents for the good of mankind :)
Posted by suzeonline, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 7:47:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@runner: It is clear that sexualisation of children is the fruit of secularism. ... You also seem to constantly miss the point that I have no righteousness of my own. My only righteousness comes from Christ.

Runner, you remind me of a quote I read elsewhere recently: its not God I dislike, its his fan club I can't stand.
Posted by rstuart, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 8:05:46 PM
rstuart

I really would be concerned if I had your approval.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 10:14:40 PM
runner,

Would you be concerned if you had anyone's approval??

You also seem to constantly miss the point that all your righteousness is your own.
Posted by McReal, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 9:34:00 AM
I've not read all the posts here, but they seem to fall into 2 groups roughly:
The christians, who are still trying to hide the facts of the dishonest behaviours exposed, and still hold out the prospect of the writer coming to her senses and coming back to the church she left in obvious disgust (good luck), and
The non-christians, who are either glad the hypocrisy of the religious has been exposed (as long as it didn't extend to exposing their hypocrisy), or don't understand what all the fuss is about.
For me, the fuss is about the exposure these charlatans get in public schools, and it's of great importance. It not only lends them great legitimacy, it gives them an opportunity to make their arguements known, so that these arguements will be in peoples' memory at some time in the future. And if the memory is laid down early, it is all the more difficult to expose it and act against it. It's the difference between getting a good training in ethics, and hearing a lot of nonsense about miracles and rising from the dead. At times of stress, people need the former, not the latter, to fall back on.
Tax-payers' money must not be used by essentially dishonest people to pray upon others when they are vulnerable, getting them to accept a world-view which is harmful to their best interests.
The sooner all untrained, unskilled charlatans are out of our publicly funded institutions, including hospitals and prisons, and replaced by caring, well-trained professionals who will actually serve the public interest, the better.
Posted by camo, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 3:50:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy