The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A tale of three missions > Comments

A tale of three missions : Comments

By Amanda Midlam, published 27/5/2011

Three separate but connected Aboriginal homes tell a more complex story about Australia's past.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Let's face it - The European invasion of any landmass for the purposes of colonisation was conducted with the utmost civilised Christian barbarism, whether it's shadow was cast in north America, south America, Africa. Australia or wherever, it was brutal and comprehensive in its impact.

Interestingly, if one is reading of the historical evidence lauding European superiority in overwhelming indigenous cultures with a supposedly advanced civilisation, many don't doubt a word of the flattering prose. However, when it comes to pointing our that European conduct may have fallen far short of the ideal, all of a sudden historians are labelled "ignorant academics".
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 2 June 2011 8:04:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SPQR, thank you for posting that link. It's really interesting. I wish this chicken pox theory - and anything else to do with our history - could be discussed without personal attacks. It certainly sounds feasible to me and I would be interested to hear what others think.
Posted by Amanda Midlam, Thursday, 2 June 2011 8:35:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
....civilised Christian barbarism,
Poirot,
Yes, that's why I used the term Invasion. The term ignorant academics (historians) was coined by me from personal experience when accompanying several such experts when talking with indigenous. For example land claims. When asked how they (academic bureaucrats) establish who in the clan owns what, the AB answered , well, I ask them. The other academic asked, how do you know they're telling you the truth. The AB replied why should they lie ? At stake was a $40000.- a year lease payment from the Government to the land claimant. Now why would they claim the land was theirs if it wasn't ?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 2 June 2011 10:37:48 AM
Poirot,
Aboriginal cave paintings were discovered by a Main Roads gang in 1956. Comparing the pictures of then with those of now I was told that several more 40000 year old paintings have appeared. Another cave of which absolutely no mention can be found pre 1970 was visited by an academic historian & presto, suddenly there were cave paintings.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 2 June 2011 10:42:13 AM
Poirot,
I am not denying that the invasion of Australia by outsiders, particularly the british, Irish & Germans was anything pleasant for the indigenous.
What I am denying is the attempt by academic Australians to make the indigenous look utterly innocent. They weren't. They had savage battles amongst themselves & lived an existence extremely removed from this nirvana myth.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 2 June 2011 10:58:12 AM
individual,
it is a bit funny to think of how you think of where I am from. A bit of mystery is always fun :)

I would like to let you know that I am not stuck in one mindset of history but am intrigued and somewhat annoyed by the falshoods that are promoted by the colonisation/invasion-was-good and the white-superiority brigade. I am not a historian just very interested and have read widely on the topic of Australia's history. I do believe that I am opposite to Windschuttle especially as he has determined what he wants to find then makes things fit that worldview.

Similar to you perhaps, I do not like the heavily biased info that passes for history. You note that I present an alternative view of history but only because it is not heing heard and I must admit that I am somewhat critical of many authors of history as they interpret what they see from within their own life experiences and understanding. I do have an Indigenous Australian worldview and happily admit that.

A wise person once told me that 'there are 3 sides to every arguement- his, hers and the truth'. But without looking at both sides and critically analysing both the truth will be forever elusive.
Posted by Aka, Thursday, 2 June 2011 12:13:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy