The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A tale of three missions > Comments

A tale of three missions : Comments

By Amanda Midlam, published 27/5/2011

Three separate but connected Aboriginal homes tell a more complex story about Australia's past.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Jewely,

There is absolutely no reference to any historical events in any of my posts on this thread. I have emphasized only policies and consensus.

Amanda has written in detail about three communities and three different policies. If her conclusion is adequate then perhaps you could tell us the meaning? Without the conclusion it is just an interesting list of historical events, without purpose.

Jewely, the last time I looked we were in the third millennium. For a very long time our politicians and the indigenous advocacy bodies in Australia have tried to establish social equity and justice for indigenous Australians.

I matters not how, why or by whom the raft of policies were formulated or implemented, at this point in time, today, what we have achieved is very little. In fact it would be more accurate to say we have created Australian refugees in Australia.

I you do not feel deeply ashamed about where we are today, it would indicate that your emotional gabfest is more about attention seeking than any genuine compassion.
Posted by spindoc, Sunday, 29 May 2011 9:54:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Jewelry.

First page under Lake Tyler. “Lake Tyler was part of the process of genocide - an attempt to ‘soothe the pillow’ as Aboriginal people died out”.

And as for good white intentions going wrong. Could I submit that the biggest good intention that went wrong was the conviction that a stone age people should be given total equality with white people, on the grounds of “all men are created equal, with universal equal rights, blah, blah."

The biggest problem with aboriginal people is alcohol, which “racist” people like me once prevented them from accessing. But well meaning humanitarians demanded absolute equality of rights for blacks. When this was pointed out that this would mean that aboriginal people would now be allowed to drink alcohol, and that this would be catastrophic for aboriginal development, the humanitarians refused to consider the negative consequences of their ill conceived universal ideals. Nothing less than total equality of aboriginal rights with whites would do, and if that meant problems with aboriginal alcohol abuse, then gee, that was just too bad.

The stage was set for a tragedy of epic proportions, and all because the trendy lefties utterly refused to compromise on human equality and human rights. The easily foretold serious endemic problem of aboriginal drunkenness soon manifested itself, proving that the “racists” were right all along.

But you are not going to see any articles by Amanda Midlan about how her self loathing trendy lefty mates stuffed up big time and are primarily responsible for the near anarchy and extreme violence now prevalent on aboriginal reserves. The trick is to always keep implying that people like her are oh, so ferking intelligent and compassionate, while finding someway to blame the white Australians she despises for everything that ever went wrong with aboriginals, and portraying ordinary Australians and their governments as Nazis.
Posted by LEGO, Sunday, 29 May 2011 12:59:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aka,
Grandma, I agree with what you're saying & that Ted Egan song. I also agree with the other posters who draw attention to the other side of the coin. What does this mean ? It means that none of us nor none of our ancestors nor will any of our successors ever be so blameless of exploiting the weaker. When the first european explores penetrated the interior of the land which they called Australia & called the people Aborigines they found unusually healthy middle-aged tribes. It was only after more expeditions that they realised why they hardly saw any sick, old people. The reason being that as soon as a member of the tribe could no longer keep up with the constant wandering they were left behind to fend for themselves. This meant the end of their life. I often wonder if our western sense of compassion is actually not as right as we'd like to think. I certainly believe the Aborigines' law system far outweighed our conniving & unfair system of corruption always wins.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 29 May 2011 1:29:41 PM
spindoc,in the earlier post you state that you "have absolutely no expectations of Indigenous Australians to reach consensus ... Nor have I expressed any “judgment” on indigenous Australians or expressed this as any criteria."

Yet in the one above that you state that 'it is increasingly hard for most Australians to develop an understanding of indigenous issues when those who are indigenous (by any definition) cannot agree between themselves, nor can they agree on anything with those who seek to represent them".

You use the same comment on the Malcolm King "Welcome to Country" story saying "It is increasingly hard to develop an understanding or respect for indigenous issues when those who are indigenous (by any definition) and those who seek to represent them, cannot agree on anything! It is self evident to much of the Australian public, that the indigenous communities do not agree amongst themselves, nor do they agree with some policies, some politicians, academia, much of the media, many Human Rights activists, the UNHRC and many of the so called educated urban elites who also claim to represent the same heritage. "

I believe my comments are fair as you clearly imply an expectation of some form of consensus from Indigenous Australians on 2 seperate threads.

I have reread your postings to see if I had erred but am confident I have not.
I suggest you reread your own postings.
My comments stand.
Posted by Aka, Sunday, 29 May 2011 2:19:23 PM
Lego:First page under Lake Tyler. “Lake Tyler was part of the process of genocide - an attempt to ‘soothe the pillow’ as Aboriginal people died out”.

Well that just proves I’m going blind. Umm.. it was someone elses opinion though. So they died and the aboriginals were the only race targeted for this treatment. So it is just coming down to whether or not it was intentional?

Lego:“Could I submit that the biggest good intention that went wrong was the conviction that a stone age people should be given total equality with white people, on the grounds of “all men are created equal, with universal equal rights, blah, blah."

Please give us your list of races not the equal of white people.

Lego:“...the trendy lefties utterly refused to compromise on human equality and human rights.”

B’stards. I have no idea what that means. The lefties believe all humans are equal and they will not compromise on this stance?

Spin:"Without the conclusion it is just an interesting list of historical events, without purpose.”

What’s wrong with that?

Spin:”If you do not feel deeply ashamed about where we are today, it would indicate that your emotional gabfest is more about attention seeking than any genuine compassion.”

Hmm... might be attention seeking, I’m not sure so wont discount it but I don't think I'm feeling much emotion. You've gone and added tone to my message that I did not intend is all. But yeah I am ashamed about where Aussie is today because I don’t see much has changed. I’m still hoping India or China will offer to come help us sort it out.
Posted by Jewely, Sunday, 29 May 2011 3:29:09 PM
LEGO,
alcohol abuse in Australia began with the first fleet. Australia has made legends and heros out of grog runners like McArthur and his rum-corp rebellion. Can you remember the outrageous amount of money John Howard spent on fancy grog while he was PM? Bob Hawke, another PM was lauded for, and proud of, his record for drinking booze. There is a long list of such grog heros. It is pathetic that Joh Bjelke-Petersen insisted that canteens had to placed in places like Aurukun against the local Aboriginal community wishes - funny thing is he was definitely not a left-winger.

There is no doubt that the negative effects of alcohol continue in modern day non-Indigenous Australians as well as Indigenous Australians.

So why do you single out Indigenous Australians?
Is it possible your superiority complex is showing
Posted by Aka, Sunday, 29 May 2011 3:50:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy