The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Myth vs reality: women and girls' timidity or real risk taking? > Comments

Myth vs reality: women and girls' timidity or real risk taking? : Comments

By Jocelynne Scutt, published 20/4/2011

There is no truth to the story that the glass ceiling is partly held in place by women's aversion to risk.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All
Suzanonline,
You have contributed nothing except flaming of other posters.

Pelican,
There has been a major decline in the number of male teachers in the education system, (particularly in primary education), with a simultaneous decline in almost every aspect of science education, now reaching some of the worst records in the world.

For example:-
“This reported time on science teaching places Australia among the countries spending least time on Year 4 science”
http://education.qld.gov.au/mastersreview/pdfs/final-report-masters.pdf

The situation has also had a major affect on our skills base.

“Nevertheless, the generally consistent decline in proportional enrolments at school is matched by declining tertiary enrolments in science-related courses and an increasing shortage of workers with SET skills (DEST, 2006).”
http://www.dest.gov.au/sectors/school_education/publications_resources/profiles/Australian_School_Education_Plan_2008_2012.htm

The whole situation has now cost this country mega $billions, and has affected everything from the trade balance to immigration programs seeking skilled workers.

Jewely,
Congratulations. It is true that we are all derived from stars.

The Law of Conservation of Mass and the Law of Multiple Proportions relate to chemical reactions, and of course, every movement someone makes, and every thought they have, occur because of a series of chemical reactions.

Everyone eats food and breaths air to provide reactants for the chemical reactions.

The recent report into education in QLD gave this as its number one recommendation.

RECOMMENDATION 1
“That all aspiring primary teachers be required to demonstrate through test performances, as a condition of registration, that they meet threshold levels of knowledge about the teaching of literacy, numeracy and science and have sound levels of content knowledge in these areas.”

http://education.qld.gov.au/mastersreview/pdfs/final-report-masters.pdf

So a method of stimulating interest in maths and science amongst students (and eventually the population), is to simply eliminate teachers from the education system who have no interest in maths and science.

Seems logical to me.
Posted by vanna, Friday, 29 April 2011 8:54:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
vanna, I think your criticism of suzeonline in your last post this evening was totally unjustified. (Perhaps a typo.) I think retraction would be in order.

Jewely,

What can I say. Pelican may have said it best, "Good grief". But then she may have been responding to vanna (who tends to be a bit of a worry, although his posts contain a lot of info).

So, Jewely, taking me to task. I thought you were nicer than that. Ok, this is a open forum, so if I open my mouth I have to be ready to have my foot put in it.

First up I gladly concede that all the ills experienced by womenfolk, past and present, may be laid squarely at the feet of menfolk. Done. Not that all women have been totally faultless in this, but generally men are the main protagonists. In the main I think women are pretty damn nice.

No, women are not responsible for kids on the street (mostly males in that predicament anyway), drugs, etc, BUT, these things are happening and they are a worry. (And I can't believe you could be so self-absorbed as to disagree with that.)

I sense that you are a liberated free-thinker, so I don't expect you to view the world exactly as I do - cautious, dull, non womanising, once only married, tending-towards-prude little ol' me.

So, obviously I have to give it to you straight. There is too much personal liberty, to make a fool of yourself, to booze, "dabble" in sex (yes) as though it is just a game, "experiment" with drugs - and a tendency to "need" something so I can let my hair down and have a "GOOD" time. What? Stories of pre-pubescent girls giving blow-jobs to boys in class? Can this be real? If this sort of behaviour is not a cultural shift and fragmentation, if not rampant disintegration, then I don't know what.

Freedom is good, but of constructive, not destructive, opportunity.
Posted by Saltpetre, Friday, 29 April 2011 10:30:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jewely,

In response to one of my propositions you replied "Nope, hasn’t. Why? Do you think it has?"

So, how about some constructive comment. You just say no, why? Your opinion - but is it really a considered opinion?
Posted by Saltpetre, Friday, 29 April 2011 10:43:31 PM
Vanna "I have had a lot of training in chemistry."
I'm assuming that is high school chemistry Vanna, because nasty Universities are no good, right?

Thanks for your support Saltpetre, but don't waste your typing fingers worrying about Vanka. He will always resort to snide remarks when he can't answer questions logically :)

Formersnag <""Siatas in da hood" like Pelican, suzeonline, Jewely, etc, who infect this web site with their obvious hatred for & desire to dominate all males."

Oh dear, ladies, we are found out!
(Whip at the ready...)
Our predilection for domination of all men is now out there for
all to see :)
Posted by suzeonline, Friday, 29 April 2011 11:22:57 PM
Jewely, et al,

Sorry about my second to last post last night, late, tired, neuron fatigue, excuses, excuses. Skewed vision on display. Taking myopic example and painting it across the whole picture - age-old pitfall of hanging on doggedly to outdated, unsupportable opinion.

Truth is I have "reacted" to some headline snippets from our mass-media coverage of "the world today". Big mistake. Foot solidly in mouth.

How to make reparation? Is't possible?

Jewely's post is proving challenging. Step back, review. Try again? Or chuck in towel? Can my opinion be of value?, or validity even? Considering I have also fallen off my pulpit from time to time, mea culpa. The world has indeed changed, and will keep doing so, irrespective of me. Our world, Oz, let alone the rest. Global warming, Libya, Syria next? Afghanistan, Iraq, Ireland, earthquakes, nuclear problems, BP, GFC, foreign aid, trees, garbage-tip children, whales, CO2, Tibet, West Papua, Nth Korea, Iran, Labor government, mining taxes, Palestine, sea level rise, tornadoes, floods, petrol sniffing, jihad, boat people (= people), sharia law, burquas, U.S., fossil fuel, us, Dukes, Duchesses, football hooligans, us.

Perspective. Matriarchal societies work.

Values? Can that be at the crux? People working hard to build a career, security, a future, in our cut-throat whirlwind economic environment? Who has time? Sacrifice career to raise a family? (Placing success in hands of a partner? Do it alone, on the State?) Have to break out occasionally from the slog. Schoolies' week? Pre Uni year off. Full-time slog, all have needs, drives. Not everyone goes home to mum. Drinks after work, party here, there. Enjoyment here, there. Climb the ladder. Boy, it's tiring. 1/4 acre block, doldrums, retirement home, release. Achievement along the way? Footprint?

Old does not = wise (necessarily). Try to make a contribution, last resort? Shut up and leave the world to the young, it's theirs anyway? Values. By example. Encouragement, nurturing, not dictum.
Posted by Saltpetre, Saturday, 30 April 2011 7:08:37 AM
Saltpetre
“Perspective. Matriarchal societies work.”

It is interesting that we had a female Chief Scientist whose job was to provide “high-level independent advice to the Prime Minister and other Ministers on matters relating to science, technology and innovation”

She resigned after 3 years, but during that time she only met with Kevin Rudd on one occasion, and never met with Julia Gillard at all.

The feminist excuse that men are always to blame and oppress the women does not hold up to reality.

Women have been given every opportunity, but now we have a male Chief Scientist.

http://www.chiefscientist.gov.au/
Posted by vanna, Saturday, 30 April 2011 7:41:22 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All