The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia must stand up to US on cluster bomb legislation > Comments

Australia must stand up to US on cluster bomb legislation : Comments

By Malcolm Fraser, published 18/3/2011

The Australian government is proposing legislation counter to our commitment to ban cluster bombs.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
you know, I reckon the government should start sharing information on the various conventions and international agreements they sign up to, before they sign up .. before elections even

how about the people get a look in at what on earth is being signed up to

why do we find out later, some time later, that Oh Australia is a signatory to this or that and then it is used to cuff us under the ear to get back into line .. "we're a signatory! How dare you question it or say it should not be so!"

Cluster munitions are not very nice, agreed .. but this article like so many others (on different subjects) assumes a stance immediately that accuses Australians of not doing our "duty" according to some or other international convention

If you want to talk about duty, isn't it the duty of government to serve the people? Not sign up to things secretly then tell us they have a mandate to do so

no you don't ..

if someone wants to put up a platform for election based on reviewing all our agreements, I'd be very interested in taking a look at that, it seems the wealth of Australia is being drained away by frivolous shopping around for ego and this needs to stop and the people decide whether it's what we want politicians doing
Posted by rpg, Friday, 18 March 2011 5:51:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Far be it from me to be a bleeding heart, but I just cant see how any army can still use these things. Surely their are other options. We can fight the enemy with this small handicap if not.

Kills kiddies for years on end after the war. We ban chemical warfare why cant we ban these.
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 18 March 2011 8:55:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am an American living in Australia, and I wish that the compassion of Malcolm Fraser was in both the Australian and US government. Like cluster munitions depleted uranium and land mines also harm civilians during and after the conflict. Nations that use any of them are not civilised whatever they may claim.
Posted by david f, Friday, 18 March 2011 10:26:34 AM
davidf .. you can have him .. let's face it, when he was Minister for Army sending boys to die in Vietnam he had a slightly different attitude.

When he was in power he made a famous statement regarding people who complained how much tax they were paying and how their lives were difficult .. Malcolm, coming from a wealthy family, a country "squire", and always had a plum in his mouth .. his 'compassionate' response, "life wasn't meant to be easy" (not unlike someone who said, "let them eat cake)

he is trying to rewrite his place in history now, but he will be ever remembered as a man who did nothing, with both houses and nation building potential .. nothing.

Cluster bombs used by the US, self detonate after a time .. cluster bombs by less sophisticated countries do not .. as far as I know we have never bought cluster bombs(?)

other remedies .. no, when you are determined to kill people, being kind to the environment is a side issue.
Posted by rpg, Friday, 18 March 2011 11:36:36 AM
Dear rpg,

Your criticism of him in office is spot on. That is the way it was during his term.

However, our behaviour and ideas are not fixed in concrete. I look back on my life and realise how flawed and wrong some of my actions have been. I hope I am a better person now than I was then. My wife seems to think so. At least she says so.

Maybe Fraser also is now a better person then when he was when in office.
Posted by david f, Friday, 18 March 2011 12:09:22 PM
Are bombs a necessity of life?
Posted by skeptic, Friday, 18 March 2011 2:45:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy