The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Polar ice melt and sea level rise: earth climate in uncharted territory > Comments

Polar ice melt and sea level rise: earth climate in uncharted territory : Comments

By Andrew Glikson, published 17/3/2011

Seas are rising faster than we previously thought.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
MarcH,

In so far as you trust what you define as "respectable" science journal, you may wish to consult recent papers in Nature, Nature Geoscience, Science, PNAS, Journal of Geophysical Research, Geophysics Research Letters, EOS, Journal of Climate, Earth and Planetary Science Letters and numerous other perfectly respectable journals. You will find out that what is written in the article "polar ice melt and sea level rise" is consistent with trends indicated in the majority of papers published in these journals.

A comprehensive compilation of up-to-date climate data and trends is presented among other in: Steffen, W., 2009 - Climate Change, 2009: Faster Change and More Serious Risks, Australian Government, Department of Climate Change, 52 pp. Similar reports have been published by the Bureau of Meteorology and CSIRO during the last two years.
Posted by Andy1, Saturday, 19 March 2011 9:46:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And here are some more Andrew Glikson peer-reviewed climate papers for MarcH's interest:

Glikson, A.Y., 2010. The world at 4 degrees Celsius: lessons from Pliocene climates. Journal of Cosmology , vol. 8.
Glikson, A.Y., 2010. Homo sapiens, greenhouse gases and the atmosphere. Journal of Cosmology, vol. 8.
Glikson, A.Y., 2010. Discussion: climate model sensitivity to changes in Miocene paleotopography. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences, 57, 337–339.
Glikson, A.Y., 2010. Archaean impacts, banded iron formations and MIF-S anomalies: A discussion. Icarus, 207, 39–44
Glikson, A.Y., 2009. Discussion of the “Cronus theory”. Journal of Cosmology, 2, 230-234.
Glikson. A.Y., 2009. IThe Science of Climate Change. Climate Law, Chapter 2. LexisNexis Publishing. Editor: David Hodgkinson.
Glikson, A.Y., 2008. Milestones in the evolution of the atmosphere with reference to climate Change. Australian Journal of Earth Science, 55, 123-157.
Glikson, A.Y., 2008. Implications of abrupt atmospheric changes in the recent history of Earth for 21st century climate projections. The Australian Geologist, 149, 16-18.
Glikson, A.Y., 2007. Homo sapiens on thin ice. The Australian Geologist, 142, 25-28.
Glikson, A.Y., 2007. Sea change: implications of the 4th IPCC report for 21st century climate change. The Australian Geologist, 143, 33-35.
Posted by popnperish, Sunday, 20 March 2011 4:51:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A597 You say in ten years we will be drowning? Well what if we are not? Can I claim back every cent of tax and every cent given (Stolen) by dishonest Climate change scientists and politicians?
Simple solution matey. Turn off your electricity and your car. If all the proponents did this the problem will be solved but you want my house and my car. Good luck sunshine I use electricity, drive a car and VOTE! Just wait Juliar!
Posted by JBowyer, Sunday, 20 March 2011 6:25:47 PM
RPG,

Yes, I'm very clever.

You however have not shown that fourier was wrong. A little more CO2 in a gas system absorbs a little more heat. This a demonstrated fact, a first principle in this matter.

Following that are physical consequences of a long term, stead-state input of CO2, increasing the steady state concentration of such.

So, we have first principles reasons for anticipating extra heat absorption by the atmosphere, and structures in equilibrium with it, all other things being equal.

Corrective mechanisms, of necessity cannot be immediate, or certain to be corrective in the manner of calibrated feedback.

Anytime new revisions of my old physics books contradict me on this, you be sure to let me know.

So, extra heat, and ice known to be melting, since people from the lab down the hall went to measure such ten years ago, and I trust their competance.

When the ice in my drink is still melting, it is still cool. When the ice runs out, the drink heats up rapidly.

Ta ta, do read up, please forgive my sarcastic tone, I think you needed it. Don't let the baby bleed out, don't let your scotch get warm.

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Sunday, 20 March 2011 7:13:55 PM
All these anti-green people with so-called IQ,s tis,tis,tis. I just love this one from OUG......"we denialists get called lobby for big oil
yet who are you lot lobbying for
big solar and big wind?"

follow the money
green is chasing the new green..
$$$$...as in [yanki-dollar/...greedy-green]

OUG....all humans love and hunt the money trail, but that doesn't mean we have to pretend that climate change, whether or not mans failures to see it, or its just our bad luck that the industrial takings of the baby booters of this planet,and mankind just cant fess up to the fact, that the 20th century old codgers are the ones that know they are reasonable for all we are seeing today.

Play school time:) Now what window shall we look through today? I think the round one:)

http://tinyurl.com/4pss5oa

http://tinyurl.com/4ryvd2e

Now OUG, which one of these is wrong? and what affect does the media have on people when they don't want to panic us into thinking all is fine?

Ive always said the planet will change whether humans are here or not, However, I,ll give you a clue.

The answer is all in the time framing.

Leap.
Posted by Quantumleap, Tuesday, 29 March 2011 7:26:19 PM
Food for thought:)

See if climate change was to happen rapidly as some scientists and doomsayers have predicted, all those specialized creatures that requires a certain type of habitat or ecosystem to evolve in, none would be here including us. So in conclusion to point one, there is no sure thing as rapid climate change for the upper obvious. So we can conclude (whether man is here or not) how ever this planet behaves,( and remember, Co2 levels have been 100 plus before ) it has to be a gradual one, and again nothing would exist. Now we can surmise that whatever change is happening on this globe, it has to be a slow and gradual one, with the help or not of the human footprint and the serviettes on how we are affecting this planet that is in fact changing whether we like it not.

So now that this is pasted with, there are four effects that are a main threat that we are or not going to experience or will in the next 300 years plus.

continue
Posted by Quantumleap, Tuesday, 29 March 2011 9:28:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy