The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why consult the electorate on gay marriage? > Comments

Why consult the electorate on gay marriage? : Comments

By Scott MacInnes, published 17/12/2010

On moral matters members of parliament should follow their own beliefs rather than ask their constituents how they should vote.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I don't understand why people are against legislatively recognising gay marriage

If you are against gay marriage, then it's simple, don't marry anyone who is the same sex as you. To go any further than this is to impose one's beliefs onto a group where no consequences will be felt by the complainer.

I am a conservative voter, and some may accuse me of hypocrisy, but before you do just remember and acknowledge, Conservative politics is centrally about minimalist government, not a moral agenda.
Posted by Angry Oak, Friday, 17 December 2010 10:37:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Angry....then you don't understand many things.

What is your value system? What is it's foundation?

Do you have any religious beliefs?

The natural order is heterosexual. "UN"natural is homosexual.

Even without any recourse to religious dogma, common sense should tell you that a society which extends tolerance to the intolerant is self deceived.

The Homosexual lobby is one of the most INtolerant groups I've ever come across. Not only that, it's desire to brainwash children who have no choice in the matter..through skilful manipulation of Media is abominable in the extreme.

"NO" to Gay intolerance. "YES" to tolerance and fairness and a more inclusive civil society.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Friday, 17 December 2010 11:01:07 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A response to ALGOREisRICH and his patronising line "then you don't understand many things".

Q> What is your value system? What is it's foundation?

A. What it's not is judging someone before I have even had a chance to meet them and understand their position.

Q. Do you have any religious beliefs?

A. None of your damn business

Q. The natural order is heterosexual. "UN"natural is homosexual.

A. This is a load of crap. Who are you to make this assertion, and what background in Genetics/Physiology/Psychiatry do you possess. For all you know a rise in homosexuality may be a natural response to built up living conditions in the cities as a "natural birth control measure" Even in the wild it is not unusual to see other male species mounting their same sex.

Q/stm Even without any recourse to religious dogma, common sense should tell you that a society which extends tolerance to the intolerant is self deceived.The Homosexual lobby is one of the most INtolerant groups I've ever come across. Not only that, it's desire to brainwash children who have no choice in the matter..through skilful manipulation of Media is abominable in the extreme.

A. I made no mention of any political lobby group, and even withstanding this, your logic is floored. Not all Homosexuals are part of your so called "Homosexual lobby". Ever heard the saying "All poodles are dogs but not all dogs are poodles.

Q/STM "NO" to Gay intolerance. "YES" to tolerance and fairness and a more inclusive civil society.

A. You are full of hypocrisy, and karma dictates that someone close to you, whether a son/daughter, old school friend, will be gay. I sincerely hope you deal with such a situation using a greater perspective and tolerance than your narrow minded retort to my comment.
Posted by Angry Oak, Friday, 17 December 2010 12:33:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This article will be filed under the heading “Manipulative”. I would expect a Lawyer to mention the word “Referendum” somewhere in an article criticizing dismissive tactics used by the Gillard Government on the issue of Gay marriage.

If the public debate on gay marriage is such a sensitive one to Government, as was the debate on the Republic, which was roundly defeated at a referendum, then put the question of S/S marriage to a referendum at the next Federal election: That is a fair, just, historically proved and constitutionally correct method for Government to judge the issue openly and honestly in public and will satisfy all parties concerned.
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 17 December 2010 8:47:41 PM
<<Nobody believes slavery was moral when it was supported by majority opinion.>>
The same tedious old canard intended to confuse by deceptively drawing an analogy between the immutability of race and changeable homosexual behaviour.

70% of the descendants of slaves in the USA reject this analogy because it is blatantly false:
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/12/14/are-gay-rights-civil-rights.html?from=rss

It is no more than a ploy to manipulate opinion,
along with the 10% lie
and the homosexual gene lie.
Posted by Proxy, Friday, 17 December 2010 9:08:52 PM
Proxy, please explain the 'homosexual gene lie'?
I didn't know you were a scientist?

What possible business is it of anyone else if two homosexual people want to marry?

Homosexuality is not illegal is it?
Why then is homosexual marriage illegal?
Posted by suzeonline, Friday, 17 December 2010 10:21:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy