The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Palestine: outing state-sponsored Jew-hatred > Comments

Palestine: outing state-sponsored Jew-hatred : Comments

By David Singer, published 17/12/2010

If Brazil were to have its way, 500,000 Jews would have to leave their homes, or be removed.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All
Even Benny Morris' review "Ilan Pappe’s New Book Is Appalling" in History News Network
http://hnn.us/roundup/entries/4479.html

“ (Pappe) ... believes that there is no such thing as historical truth, only a collection of narratives as numerous as the participants in any given event or process; and each narrative, each perspective, is as valid and legitimate, as true, as the next. ....

... much of what Pappe tries to sell his readers is a complete fabrication" and quotes Pappe himself to explain the "multiplicity of mistakes on each page" that is a product of both Pappe's historical methodology and his political proclivities”

Ilan Pappe appeared on the same platform as Alan Hart (proven to be a rabid antisemite), who claimed that he, personally, could have prevented the Six-day War.

As for Antomy Loewenstein: why shouldn’t people from the Jewish diaspora and in
Australia support Israel? Obviously, not all Jews do so. Many non-Jews support Israel.

Why is it when Jews support Israel, people immediatly see in it as some sort of evil conspiracy!
Posted by Danielle, Monday, 27 December 2010 2:28:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Danielle:

You can't really make up your mind about the book, "My Israel Question," by Antony Loewenstein unless you've actually read it.
All I can do is suggest that you do so.
Posted by Lexi, Monday, 27 December 2010 3:27:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lexi,

I have read his many diatribes. If I have time, I will, as you suggest, read his book.
Posted by Danielle, Monday, 27 December 2010 3:34:05 PM
Danielle:

I'm not trying to be contentious here. I've always respected your opinion and I would genuinely be interested in what you think of the book. Fingers-crossed that you do find the time to read it.
Posted by Lexi, Monday, 27 December 2010 3:55:07 PM
Lexi,

I have read a number of reviews of Loewenstein's book, in which he appears to follow his usual diatribes.

"Mythology loses out to the facts" written by Gerard Henderson of the Sydney Institute, published by smh (25/7/2005) seems to encapuslate Loewenstein's arguments - as I understand them, and refute them ably.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/mythology-loses-out-to-the-facts/2006/07/24/1153593268904.html

However, as I said, I will read Loewenstein's book. With so many excellent and accurate online sites providing information about Israel, and also archival material holding primary sources available, it shouldn't be too difficult to evaluate his arguments for myself.

When I was a history tutor at university, I instructed my students to question everything they were told - by the different media, their parents (young people must learn to be independent thinkers), the lecturers, and even myself; stating that if they provided an excellent counter-argument, with solid references, they would be marked accordingly. My fellow tutors, indeed the history department, were not happy. Instead of sitting silently like shags on a rock (the customary position), the students participated with loud enthusiasm in their tutorials. In their finals (marked by others) none of my students failed; indeed, they achieved more distinctions than any other group. My satisfaction was that they had learned how to research and question issues properly.

Anyway, Lexi, thank you for the reference.
Posted by Danielle, Monday, 27 December 2010 4:26:22 PM
Danielle:

You sound exactly like my father. He taught me to always ask "Why?"
I'm sure that you have lifted the fog for your students, caused the Great Aha!, and literally changed their lives. As we all know the historian can establish that an act took place on a certain day, but this, by historical standards constitutes only chronology or, "factology." The moment the historian begins to look critically at motivation, circumstances, context, or any other such considerations, the product becomes unacceptable for one or another camp of readers. You've written in the past that you're wary of
extremists (where ever they come from), that's partly why I would
appreciate your opinion of Loewenstein's book. I know you will be fair.
Posted by Lexi, Monday, 27 December 2010 4:43:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy