The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Family Law Act: too little, too late > Comments

Family Law Act: too little, too late : Comments

By Patricia Merkin, published 7/12/2010

It is likely that child protective amendments to the Family Law Act will be significantly watered down for political motives.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 30
  7. 31
  8. 32
  9. Page 33
  10. 34
  11. 35
  12. 36
  13. ...
  14. 40
  15. 41
  16. 42
  17. All
Jewely:"I thought it was male hormones that caused irrational and aggressive behavior and that they were pumped out pretty constantly throughout life in men? "

http://www.abc.net.au/science/slab/testost/story.htm
http://www.project-aware.org/Resource/articlearchives/testosterone.shtml

Not really. The ABC link has a reasonable discussion about biological determinism, though obviously not as erudite as those on OLO...

Jewely:"Anti your ex could have done something about it – she chose not to is all."

Actually, we both "chose not to" because we wanted kids. She may have been able to control her bitchiness better, I don't know, but she claimed she couldn't and was always remorseful afterward. When she was taking the pill she was a different person altogether and it was that person I married, not the "hormone-soaked nightmare"

She's also become much more reasonable just of late. Since the end of the school year she's been quite approachable and we've managed to come to something of an accommodation, I think. I'm prepared to be convinced of that, anyway. Perhaps she's got some form of HRT happening?

we are unique, I'm sorry to hear that your own journey through the shoals of life hasn't been completely smooth sailing of late. You come across here as a very sensible person, so it's hard to reconcile that with your "12 months non-stop". You must have excellent self-control. I hope that all goes well with your treatment and that things stabilise rapidly.

It's nice to have a conversation about gender issues that isn't "us against them". Let's hope it can be the start of a new trend.
Posted by Antiseptic, Friday, 31 December 2010 5:34:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't find it personally confronting Antiseptic as you well know.

What I find distasteful is when the biological or sexual differences are commented on with such malice especially when the comments are from people who react quite vehemently in reaction to comments made about males.

It is hypocrisy I find confronting not my biology.

But I suspect the point I am making is falling on deaf ears.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 31 December 2010 6:22:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anti:”Actually, we both "chose not to" because we wanted kids.”

Crazy stuff from both of you then Mr Anti. I had a weird argument with my sister recently about having children (which she can’t) and how she claims I don’t understand because I had some already. What I couldn’t convince her of was the fact that I am unable to have any with the man I love now so I think I do understand. Surely if your partner (genetics) wasn’t any issue you’d just go adopt?

Well that was my argument - although I would not have chosen to have more regardless and if I could reverse time I would not have had any to begin with.

Anti:” She's also become much more reasonable just of late.”

She’s up to something Anti…. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. I haven’t read your links yet cause… well I’m a bit sozzled right now. :)

Happy New Year we-are-unique! And to the rest of the OLO crew!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a0z9ZcSwPQ
Posted by Jewely, Friday, 31 December 2010 6:51:55 PM
Thank you Anti.

Happy New Year Jewely, Anti, Pelican and all on OLO including Graham and Staff.
Posted by we are unique, Friday, 31 December 2010 11:27:40 PM
Pelican:"What I find distasteful is when the biological or sexual differences are commented on with such malice"

The "malice" is all in your own mind, not in my intent. I'm sorry if you're offended by the discussion, but it is about an important aspect of human biology that has significant impacts upon the psychology of many women and upon the relationships they form, which makes it a factor that should be considered when discussing the best way to achieve good outcomes for kids.

If it is important to recognise that men are physically stronger, or that men are often more aggressive due to testosterone's influence, it is equally as important to recognise the impacts of the sex hormones on women, surely?

Must we discuss only the "positive" aspects of femaleness?

Jewely:"Crazy stuff from both of you then Mr Anti"

Yeah, but that's the price you pay for wanting kids. If she'd simply stayed on the pill, we may even be still married, although I doubt it since we are really very different people.

And yes, genetics are an important consideration, as is the biological drive to make them. Adoption would only ever have been a last resort for me.

Jewely:"She’s up to something Anti"

LOL, I don't think so. It's more that she's used every possible free avenue to cause trouble, so now if she wants to do so it'll have to be done using her own money and that just ain't never gonna happen.

Thanks to all for the New Year's wishes and my very best to everyone.

I finished repainting my boat yesterday, so today I'll be fitting her out with a view to getting on the water by Monday. Happy New Year indeed (but not for the fishes if I've got anything to do with it...)
Posted by Antiseptic, Saturday, 1 January 2011 6:37:40 AM
Elizabeth Farrelly in the Fairfax press has another take on the effects of oestrogen

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/new-culprits-in-kings-cross-are-musicians-and-oestrogen-20101229-19a5x.html

She says:"But when you look at those girls, with their high heels and their six-pack premixes, there's an evident mis-match between the confidence-reducing effects of oestrogen (which is why male-female seduction generally involves heaped-on compliments, and why labial surgery is booming) and modern expectations that girls behave as casual sexual predators; that they behave, in fact, like boys.

Is this the role of alcohol, to enable sexual behaviours that girls would otherwise eschew? A well-known US study at Michigan State University found that 74 per cent of sexually active female students would not have had sex if they had not been drinking at the time. Women in male-dominated professions are also known to drink more than in traditionally female areas.

And although recent cases of female bashing and car-jackings have been much publicised, studies also show that whereas in men alcohol increases thoughts of power, in women it intensifies ideation of intimacy. Which only restates what we all already know. Off-their-face girls don't generally do violence. They do sex. Join the dots."

I'm glad she's a woman: when I proposed just this on OLO a few months back the howls of outrage from the girls club were a joy to behold...
Posted by Antiseptic, Sunday, 2 January 2011 5:32:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 30
  7. 31
  8. 32
  9. Page 33
  10. 34
  11. 35
  12. 36