The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Family Law Act: too little, too late > Comments

Family Law Act: too little, too late : Comments

By Patricia Merkin, published 7/12/2010

It is likely that child protective amendments to the Family Law Act will be significantly watered down for political motives.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 28
  7. 29
  8. 30
  9. Page 31
  10. 32
  11. 33
  12. 34
  13. ...
  14. 40
  15. 41
  16. 42
  17. All
It might be the eostrogen factor Anti ;)

A while ago there was a woman, who was taking IVF drugs, who admitted (that doesn't happen very often) that whilst she was taking these medications, she honestly thought that she was the only one who was right and the rest of the world was wrong.
Posted by JamesH, Tuesday, 28 December 2010 6:47:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My apologies to We are unique, my last post obviously quoted her, not ChazP.

JamesH:"she honestly thought that she was the only one who was right and the rest of the world was wrong."

That used to happen about once a month in my family home...
Posted by Antiseptic, Tuesday, 28 December 2010 7:30:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well it seems that while JamesH and Anti persistently and strongly urge us all to take into account men's biology, a women's biology is nothing more than a target of mockery. Like male sexuality a women's biology cannot be diminished to broad generalisations to suit one's personal agenda.

Care to think how you might respond if any female OLOer dared to mock a man's sexuality or biology? No doubt you will think of something to make that acceptable as is the usual modus operandi.

Misogyny and misandry are both equally unhelpful - these discussions won't have much basis in commonsense and fair play no matter how valid some of your arguments regarding double standards or biased systems. Just remember biases affect both genders depending on the situation. Unless we tackle these issues 'together' there is a risk nothing will change and the old hatreds and misconceptions will just continue to be perpetuated.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 28 December 2010 9:59:54 PM
Pelican:"a women's biology is nothing more than a target of mockery."

Personally, I don't think it's remotely funny to have to deal with a women who turns into a hormone-soaked nightmare once a month, as used to happen with my ex and shows every sign of developing in my daughter. My comment wasn't mockery, it was a lighthearted eposition of the reality that many people face. Men face it every bit as much as women, but you want to make us shut up about it because it's "women's business".

The law itself recognises the female hormonal cycle can cause mental derangement at certain times. It also recognises that females in general are less able to exercise self-control and so the defence of diminished responsibility is largely a female one, for crimes ranging from the most trivial to the most extreme. Women themselves want the law to pretend that they're incapable of taking responsibility for their own bodies while intoxicated, but it doesn't treat men that way.

You can't talk about gender differences without dealing in biology, no matter how much the "social constructionalists" looking for an easy buck want to pretend it doesn't matter.

Pelican:"Care to think how you might respond if any female OLOer dared to mock a man's sexuality or biology? "

I don't have to guess. Females, both on OLO and elsewhere are constantly mocking male biology, especially sexual biology and the male trait of failing to notice details that are of vital interest to the females in his life, such as the new dress or lipstick colour. Remember the "pinky" campaign"? Where was the "bucket" campaign? What about the subject of this thread - the author does nothing BUT attack males, especially their fitness as parents. Do you really think a joke about the emotionality of pre-menstual women is such a big deal? It's because you know I'm right, isn't it?

Pelican:"Misogyny and misandry are both equally unhelpful - "

Oh yes, but isn't it funny that you only got exercised when you thought your "essential femaleness" or whatever you call it, was being insulted?
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 29 December 2010 6:23:09 AM
I'll just modify that last post. I should have said that all my exes, with one notable exception, have seen little reason to modify their expression of the hormones that flood their body once a month.

When I met the ex she was on thr pill and the hormonal mood swings were suppressed as a result. When she stopped, she fell pregnant within a few months and I put the mood swings down to the after-effects of the pill. She lost that baby, but stayed off the pill. I put the mood swings down to depression at the loss of the pregnancy. she fell pregnant again a few months later and all was well again.

She was fine while breast-feeding, no mood swings, but qa month or two later, back they came. I put it down to some form of reaction to stopping the breast-feeding, but they continued for the next year or two until she fell pregnant again. All sweetness and light again, until a month or two after ceasing breast feeding and then it just never got any better until she went back on the pill, although that seemed to be less effective as a mood-stabiliser after the pregnancies.

She would now be menopausal, which may explain the poor judgement in taking the kids from school to go to "counselling". The hormonal flux is quite significant during that time, I understand.

I've only had one relationship where this aspect of female psychobiology was not an issue and the giel in question had had a hysterectomy quite young (at 13)due to cancer. She was a really lovely girl, I wish I'd had the good sense to stay with her, but my own biology as a young man drove me elsewhere.

Such is life.
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 29 December 2010 6:40:42 AM
Hormonal changes don't just affect women, more is being studied in relation to male hormones and a similar menopausal effect.

I have no problem in defending femaleness as you phrase it but please point out any comment of mine that has ever degraded male biology or sexuality. I have often defended men against a tirade of one-sided comments by some feminists and, while not perfect, try to keep an egalitarian an even-handed perspective. You should try it sometime.

Comments like "hormone soaked" drip too easily from your keyboard and your own personal experiences don't necessarily reflect the larger population. Women like men are individuals first, and variations in response to hormonal changes are common. Woman don't come in a stock standard one-size fits all model. Generalisations that suit your poor world view of women do not make it fact.

Some self awareness would not go astray.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 29 December 2010 12:09:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 28
  7. 29
  8. 30
  9. Page 31
  10. 32
  11. 33
  12. 34