The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'The silent innocence of the unborn' - on trial > Comments

'The silent innocence of the unborn' - on trial : Comments

By David van Gend, published 15/10/2010

Family doctors see too many good-hearted women whose inner lives have been wounded by abortion.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All
Rhian I don't have the link to the best resource I've seen but there is some good material on the web - not stuff I ever heard in church though.

To be fair though some christians were strongly involved in moves to stop slavery whereas the bible mostly supports slavery.

There is dispute over the interpretation of one of the key verses about the compensation to be paid when a pregnant woman is struck and looses the fetus but overall it's fairly clear that fetus's and very young infants were not counted as human's. A woman subject to capital punishment did not get the sentence deferred until after the birth, young infants were not counted when doing a census. There is a passage that describes the process to be undertaken when a woman was pregnant and it was suspected that her husband was not the father and it read's a lot like an abortion is part of it.

http://www.elroy.net/ehr/abortion.html

Quite a bit of material at http://www.libchrist.com/other/abortion/overview.html

There are a variety of christian resources which argue the contrary point but none that I've seen do so convincingly. They tend to all rely on the assumption that the fetus is human and then use verses not about fetus's to argue their case. They make a lot of the idea of a couple of very significant characters supposedly being aware in the womb but there is no indication that is supposed to be the case for others.

I think a lot of christians have been taught that the bible is anti-abortion and believe that's the case without really taking the effort to check it thoroughly for themselves. The view that abortion is wrong is so pervasive in a lot of churches that's it's not something that really questioned.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 15 October 2010 4:27:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen you write

'However, once any of you start trying to force your ideas on others, you are no better than any petty African dictator.'

You are blinded if you don't think the abortionist have not done this for the last 50 years.
Posted by runner, Friday, 15 October 2010 5:14:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
runner, it is not just "the abortionist" - a service-provider - it is society as a whole that engages. Unfortunately, that includes the religious nut-jobs that protest and murder.
Posted by McReal, Friday, 15 October 2010 6:44:25 PM
LOL. I just love runners little rants. Trust me! He really thinks...............well........lol.

I have to give him my best wishes.

See 3000 years ago, The man would be one of gods greats for sure.

God bless him, and I mean it.

Now where did I see that part about child sacrifice? or......OH! Sorry Runner! wrong book.

Please dismiss this post. I may need new glasses.

Now wheres that new book on reality? Oh there it is.

MMMMMMMMMMM. Not much there either!

You know? If we needed more people..........I think I could write one!

NO! WHO Iam I kidding.

Everything will be fine.

I mean, Its the woman's body, if Iam not mistaken. I think she knows whats best.........Dont you think?

She is the only one that can make a baby, and yes,lol. part fool as well.

Now Remember blokes! Keep the snake in your pants! Your part of the problem as well if not the main cause its self.

Smile.

TTM
Posted by think than move, Friday, 15 October 2010 10:18:05 PM
Dear R0bert,
You said you were looking for some Christian or Biblical input.

Two issues to consider:
1. Is the unborn child (“foetus”) a human being?
2. If so, is it ever acceptable to kill the unborn?

1) Genesis 25:21–22 states: ‘and Rebekah his [Isaac’s] wife conceived. And the children struggled together within her; …’ Note that Rebekah’s unborn twins, Jacob and Esau, are referred to as ‘children’ (the Hebrew word used, banim (plural of ben), commonly refers to children after birth, and often has a more specific meaning ‘sons’. The New Testament uses the usual Greek word for baby, brephos, to refer to the unborn John the Baptist, who ‘leaped in her [Elizabeth’s] womb’ because of the presence of the unborn Christ (Luke 1:41–44).

Unborn babies are not disposable clumps of tissue, despite the claims of many pro-abortionists. And they are always human right from fertilization, because all the DNA coding needed to build each individual’s physical features is there in the fertilized egg. It is absolutely false that the developing human goes through any fish or reptile stage, despite some blatantly fraudulent evolutionary claims.

The Bible, supported by science, teaches that the unborn baby is a human child (see also Psalm 139:13–16, Jeremiah 1:5).

2) Right throughout Scripture, murder — that is the intentional killing of innocent humans — is regarded as a heinous sin (Exodus 20:13, Matthew 19:18, Romans 13:9). Since abortion kills an innocent human being, it is nothing less than murder. So all the usual ‘hard cases’ pushed by pro-abortionists, e.g. ‘What if the woman was raped?’, ‘What if the child is deformed?’, are completely irrelevant. Besides, these are rare cases — the vast majority of abortions are not for these reasons.

We see in the New Testament that the main function of government is to protect the good and punish the guilty (Romans 13). Since abortion is a type of murder, it should be prohibited by governments.

J. Sarfati (abbreviated)

Further to some of the passages of Scripture you’ve mentioned in your post, you might find this article interesting:
http://tektonics.org/af/abortion01.html
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Saturday, 16 October 2010 7:57:10 AM
Read what the Bible says about God's love for children:

According to God's law, children are not persons but the property of their fathers, who may sell them as slaves (Exodus 21:7).

God promised to send wild animals to kill and eat the children of the Hebrews if they didn't obey him. If they still didn't obey him, he promised to make them kill and eat their children themselves (Leviticus 26:29; Deuteronomy 28:53).

God frequently ordered the Hebrews to kill all of the people in the lands they conquered. This includes slaughtering all the children and all pregnant women (Deuteronomy 2:34; etc.).

If you do not obey God, he will punish your children and your children's children unto the third and fourth generation (Exodus 20:5, 34:7; etc.).

God says, "Kill both man and woman, infant and suckling..." (1 Samuel 15:3).

God says, "Their infants will be dashed in pieces before their eyes..." (Isaiah 13:6).

God says, "Happy is he that dashes your little ones against the stones" (Psalm 137:9).

Because some adults offended God, he deliberately drowned the entire human race (except the Noah family). This included every little child and every pregnant woman (Genesis 6 & 7).

Does God really love children? The Bible says NO!

This comes from:

http://fayfreethinkers.com/bibleeducation/nielsentracts.shtml
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 16 October 2010 8:50:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All