The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Two myths about secularism > Comments

Two myths about secularism : Comments

By Meg Wallace, published 25/10/2010

Secularism is not anti-religion it is pro-freedom of belief

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
Posted by 579, Monday, 25 October 2010 3:05:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner, when are you going to get into your tiny brain, that the Old Testament was written by a bunch of geriatric schizophrenics to justify the existence of the Jewish nation. God (if he exists at all) had nothing to do with it.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Monday, 25 October 2010 3:23:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That’d probably be the ocean, vanna.

<<When you are out in the middle of the ocean, with nothing around you except sea and air, you start to detect that there is something greater than oneself.>>

Understandable too considering how tiny we are in comparison to it.

There are a lot of things in this universe greater than ourselves, but nothing about any of it suggests that the greatness has a mind or is as described by any of the worlds religions.
Posted by AJ Philips, Monday, 25 October 2010 3:28:56 PM
I'm personally happy stopping politicians and religious lobbyists having the power to force their religious ethics on people, and also to prevent World Youth Day from ever, EVER, returning to Australia.

Oh yes- and also to stop religious advertisers from being allowed to doorknock and harass people in public;

I think those are at the top of my head.
Posted by King Hazza, Monday, 25 October 2010 3:41:39 PM
Despite the article there still appears to be confusion about secularism.

Secularism allows freedom of belief. Do those who deride secularism so much prefer to live in countries that stone or persecute people for not adhering to the common belief system? That is barbaric and we have come a long way since the days of witchburnings and the like.

I would rather live in a secular nation like Oz than to live in those countries where women are stoned or Christians Churches are bombed.

What is not to like about secularism? I tend to think opponents of secularism are just as fanatical about forcing their religion as some of the less evolved societies.

Secularism does not stop you believing there is something greater than oneself or praying to a wooden idol, or dancing around a totem pole - whatever you like. That is the beauty of it - respect for differing world views. Secularism does not force you to anything.

I agree with King Hazza about the rights of individuals to go about their lives without being harassed or having taxes used to fund what is essentially religious and personal activities including atheist activities to the detriment of other government programs that are universally beneficial.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 25 October 2010 3:50:13 PM
A J Phillips,
"greatness has a mind"

Why does greatness have to have a mind?

While various religions seem to be getting considerable condemnation, often from academics harboured by universities that ironically have policies of anti-discrimination, I have also seen societies so striken by poverty and hunger that the only thing keeping them going was their religion.

Without religion those societies would disintergrate completely.

Maybe our society is too comfortable and wealthy at present, and academics too well fed.
Posted by vanna, Monday, 25 October 2010 4:09:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All