The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The rise of Catholicophobia > Comments

The rise of Catholicophobia : Comments

By Paul Collins, published 20/9/2010

The rise of 'Catholicophobia' or, to put it bluntly, 'putting the boot into the Micks'. Should Catholics 'cop it sweet'?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. All
The Church has performed wonderful work, and produced many "saints", but unless it is prepared to protect the laity from any preditors within its ranks, act immediately on evidence, and comfort the victims, the basis on which it stands is but hollow. Compare the figure of Jesus with those purportedly carrying on his work.

And Constance, I believe the Enlightenment had a great deal to mould Western values and thought.

Incidentally, my break with Catholicism had nothing to do with priestly behaviour, bad or good. It was based on reasoned, cool appraisal and analysis of evidence supporting Christianity
Posted by Danielle, Wednesday, 29 September 2010 8:59:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Severin,

Please don't take it personally. You can't, we only met once and your comment was very short. Don't take it seriously (only a joke). Sorry I used you; I had not intended to do any personal assasination at all. But I just got carried away with your usage of butterflies as a metaphor for my own personal reaction to coldness. Not that I really saw anything sinister, and I am sure that you really do like buttlerflies. But I actually found your usage of it with David f funny. I get a lot from small details that I read or see. It's usually off with the pixies take that is more often used and butterflies was a newy.

Just having a bit of fun here for sanity.

Of course I hope they are all brought to justice too. It seems they are trying and I hope they really seriously deter it. I am utterly disgusted with it all and can't believe the ignorance, dumbness and inaction of the CC. And of course the CC contains more of us hopeless humans than other institutions in the world, and will remain a prominent focus. I'm basically reacting to the Zealots in the UK who wish to annihilate the CC. And I think their cause is more than just paedophilia.

And don't you worry - I love chilling out with a drop.

I do regret using that mate bit at the end, and it was really only two posts I sent with the other correction.
Posted by Constance, Thursday, 30 September 2010 1:29:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poirot,

My name isn't substance, and what is your user name? I have no illusions of myself unlike which you seem to with your namesake. I understood the literary Poirot was an expert on discerning the reality and had wit. I don't have any need to pretend to be something I'm not, therefore have used a nominal name. Can't see your substance either. And when you play the anti-alliance policeman opposed to your own opinions.

You actually seemed to take the Papa Tech seriously. Are you serious? Or just lack humour.

I think you may be confusing intellectualis with careerists - you know, the people who focus on themselves only. Intellectuals? Where are they?. And don't mention lawyers. Like your sympathy with the working class who you arrogantly dismiss any voice they might be owed, and also seem to categorise them of the same ilk. And the poor will always be with us. Pretty patronising. You know Julia admitted she hardly reads anything outside law and never does the culture stuff. What category does she fit into? There are too many institutionalised "elite" careerists around and the uni students seem to be taught what to think and instead of how to.

People joining forces, which you had previously opposed, but gosh, you and Big Bird act like Bib and Bub.

Posted by Constance, Thursday, 30 September 2010 10:48:09 PM
Bonjour Constance,

You have caught out Poirot aligning himself with a fellow poster (ah, but since Hastings relocated to the Argentine, one is at a loss sometimes for camaraderie - thank goodness for OLO,eh).
I was merely reacting to your sustained tirade toward the honourable Severin - which made my moustaches curl (even more than usual).

What makes you think that I'm not of the working class?

Re: Papa Tech - I wuz just joining in the fun.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 30 September 2010 11:13:56 PM
Pelican,

"My gawd" - I see you're a mimicker. You're defending the silly zealot and narcissistic Geoffrey Robertson - oh dear. They call themselves liberals yet are acting like the Catholic Inquisitors from the Middle Ages. Another point of the grand hypocrosy occurring these days - they will never realise this. I hear Dawkins would love to eradicate Catholicism from Ireland. Are you really with these fellows? You do not seem to have taken in English history and that the old stink of Catholicism still resonates with them. I'm not defending or diverting paedopholia as you say occuring but I think the UK reaction to the Pope is much more than that. You, yourself are diverting from the article and seem limited in seeing a broader picture here.

Poor little (extremist) atheists, don't they get a battering from Papa. Because he is a big monster. They must be so pristine and delicate little animals. Chatter chatter and sipping sipping their milky caffeine hits to get them going (berserk).
Posted by Constance, Thursday, 30 September 2010 11:14:17 PM
Dear Constance,

I fear you are slipping back into old habits.
You spent all that time explaining your rant to Severin - sounding quite reasonable and lucid at times, I might add. And now you have not only bagged my magnificent self, but also impugned the honour and cafe habits of Pelican.
It seems that the atheists are winning hands down in the manners department.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 30 September 2010 11:31:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. All