The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > S*xualised bre*st cancer campaign sending the wrong message > Comments

S*xualised bre*st cancer campaign sending the wrong message : Comments

By Melinda Tankard Reist, published 10/9/2010

Many of the slogans used in bre*st awareness campaigns are about saving boobies, hooters or jugs.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
it is also devaluing women ... save the breasts because it's male gratification that counts, who cares about the woman attached to them.

girls & women are bombarded again and again with images that teach them that their self worth is measured only by how sexually desirable they are. this merely bleats out that same equation.
Posted by Sylvie28, Friday, 10 September 2010 1:52:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sylvie28,

misogynistis? That's a pretty harsh accusation. I think that says a lot about you. You seem to subscribe to the theory that anyone who doesn't agree with every feminist deconstruction of society hates women. Quite a few women obviously don't agree as evidenced by their participation in the event.

Maybe, just maybe, others aren't as strung up and have confidence in men and women maturely navigating attraction and sex and the body in a mature adult way, rather than feeling the need to view all male sexual desire through a prism of 'objectification', violence, disrespect and perversion.

In short, people confident in their lives and without a chip on their shoulder don't need to read anything into the making light of mens attraction to women's breasts to raise awareness for a good cause. Certainly many women don't feel they are being objectified by a portrayal of men desiring a very sensual part of their body, and happily play an assertive part in the wonderful dance of attraction and desire between men and women.

You may think it out of place in this context, but your tone and flippant use of words like misogyny betrays deep anger that is well out of proportion. I'd love to see your campaign full of morbid music and denying the real loss some women may feel about a part of their body THEY feel is sensual and attractive independent of men's 'gratification'.
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 10 September 2010 2:21:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Houellebecq

"misogynistis? That's a pretty harsh accusation. I think that says a lot about you. You seem to subscribe to the theory that anyone who doesn't agree with every feminist deconstruction of society hates women."

actually i'd say it's a pretty accurate accusation. it's based on countless comments you have previously on articles that question gender inequalities in any form. but i'll leave it up to the viewers of these comments to look up your comment history themselves.

i reject your assertion entirely re my supposed belief that anyone who disagrees with "every feminist deconstruction of society" hates women.
Posted by Sylvie28, Friday, 10 September 2010 2:47:55 PM
Sylvie28, I agree with Houellebecq.

I cant remember who wrote it originally, but basically when women label men misogynists, they are saying "How dare you disagree with me!"

It is a form of manipulation, similar to the socalled negging technique used by socalled pick up artists.

It does appear that anyone who wishes to explore a different point and not be supportive does get labeled as being misogynistic rather frequently and by labeling Houellebecq and myself as being misogynistic it is easier for you to dismiss anything we might be trying to say as being invalid.

And it is a great way for some women to hide their feelings of resentment towards men.
Posted by JamesH, Friday, 10 September 2010 3:20:49 PM
James

Constant claims of sexism reminds me more of the way that accusations of racism used to be thrown around at the height of political correctness. There used to be a limited range of opinions on racial issues that were allowed. Anything else predictably led to accusations of racism. Our society has only recently reached the point where we can have a mature discussion of these racial issues, where a range of viewpoints are respected.

We are still way of reaching that point discussing gendered issues.
Posted by benk, Friday, 10 September 2010 3:50:52 PM
As a man who has been deeply affected by the impact of breast cancer on several women close to me, I have to agree with everything Melinda Tankard Reist says here. It's saddening that so many respondents here make so little effort to understand her arguments.

The phenomena she describes trivialise breast cancer and marginalise many women who suffer from it. The argument that 'it's advertising' is no argument at all. It may well be 'advertising' - but it's bad advertising, and just as likely to alienate those who most need to hear its message.
Posted by DNB, Friday, 10 September 2010 4:16:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All