The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Abbott: Australia’s Sarah Palin > Comments

Abbott: Australia’s Sarah Palin : Comments

By Kellie Tranter, published 19/8/2010

Tony Abbott: can you really trust someone willing to opportunistically disclaim his entrenched values and opinions?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
What a convenient model of feminism for women to follow. They can do whatever they want (except join the American Republican Party) and anyone who comments on their behaviour is being controlling. No man is ever allowed to disagree with any woman at any time without facing this criticism. Many Christians believe that abortion is murdering a baby. I'm not sure that freedom of choice extends quite that far.

Meanwhile, Tony isn't even free to keep his religous convictions.
Posted by benk, Thursday, 19 August 2010 12:30:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Angry Oak
So six lines of comment is a long rant?
Why not comment on the morality issue I raised?
I did comment that the article was mainly based on recent quotes from Tony Abbott. As one who supports a mixed economy and believes political action should be secular in nature I am disappointed in Julia Gillard's attitude on some issues.
However I think Tony Abbott has been deceitful in regard to government debt and the benefits obtained from the stimulus packages. The housing crisis which hit the USA was avoided in Australia because employment was maintained, not because of anything Howard and Costello had done. A couple of days ago Crikey had an excellent bar chart showing how our debt related to the debts of other nations. Australia's debt is minuscule.
Before the GFC our debt was low because we as citizens no longer owned many real assets such as the Commonwealth Bank, Telstra and the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories,etc. Those real assets had been converted to cash to make the books look good and achieve the goals of Howard's conservative philosophy.
Prior to Howard we collectively owned more assets but now we individually owe more money.
I have in my file a letter sent to Howard warning that the policies being followed in 1998 would price many young people out of buying their own home. That didn't happen?
Posted by Foyle, Thursday, 19 August 2010 12:52:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have been saying this about mr abbot all along.
A windvane of a flipflopper who will do and say whatever he thinks will get him elected.

Either he is willing to summarily abandon his deeply held (religious) beliefs in a quest for power in which case he should be condemned as a shallow lightweight populist.

Or he still possess his long held beliefs and he is lying about them until he gains power whereupon the "real" tony will emerge in which case he should stand condemned as a dishonest toerag out to con his way to office.

Either way it would be a mistake to vote for this idiot and his party.
Posted by mikk, Thursday, 19 August 2010 1:00:31 PM
Abbott hasn't changes his spots. His position on abortion has been consistent for a number of years: that abortions should be safe, legal and rare.

No whatever your views on abortion, this is not an extreme position. This is a conservative pro-choice view.

If there is one candidate who's changing their spots, it's Julia Gillard. She is the one who in 2007 claimed she was an economic conservative (as did Rudd and Swan). We now know that's not true. In 2010 she has said that:
- she does not support a "big Australia"
- she shares people's concerns about boat people
- has announced that she does not support gay marriage.

Does anyone believe that Gillard really believes these things, or do you instead believe that she is saying whatever she thinks will buy her more votes, including espousing the exact opposite views to the one she privately holds?
Posted by AJFA, Thursday, 19 August 2010 1:10:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kellie, this article seriously denigrates Sarah Palin.

To liken her to Abbott is grossly unfair. She is better looking than Abbott and she can do things with crowds that Abbott could never do.

Sure, she is a bit flaky but Abbott is profoundly flaky and he can change his mind in a nano-second and happily go in the opposite direction. An example? Not only does he want to cancel the mining super-profits tax but he wants to give miners taxpayer's money to help them explore.

Kellie, please send Palin an apology in case she gets to read your article!
Posted by David G, Thursday, 19 August 2010 2:22:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tony Abbott is nothing like Sarah Palin!

Abbott is at least a decent guy with a brain. Abbott was a Rhodes scholar whereas Palin would flat-out qualifying to get into a Tafe.

Other than the fact that they're both on the conservative side, what else is the similarity?

I know some people are scared that Abbott might win but this seriously takes the cake.
Posted by David Jennings, Thursday, 19 August 2010 2:39:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11