The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Are Aussies really rednecks? > Comments

Are Aussies really rednecks? : Comments

By Alice Aslan, published 10/6/2010

Multiculturalism is still the best social and political system for societies like Australia which are based on migration.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. 18
  11. All
Ok. It's painfully obvious that racism/multiculturalism are the most argued subjects of late on OLO. Why, instead of playing blame tennis, don't we simply put forward ideas of how to make something that doesn't work, work. I for one am getting weary of what has been done wrong. Let's hear of what is being done right or could be done right. I want to live my live in a much friendlier society than the present one & I am doing my part to work towards a better system.
Let's hear from those who believe it isn't too late to get back on track & how ? Today is day 1, let's hear it !
Posted by individual, Friday, 18 June 2010 6:19:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Individual,

Thank god, a constructive comment. Yes, why don't we try reaching out to each other ? Not necessarily all huggy-huggy, but catching people's eyes and saying g'day with a smile is not a bad start - most people would be surprised how well it works.

The British philosopher Paul Gilroy has written a lot about 'multicultural democracy': many above might see this as an oxymoron, but surely - in almost every society in the world now - that must be the aim ?

Sometimes I feel a bit sorry for my Anglo-Celtic brothers and sisters: once, they were totally dominant, and never had to think about identity, culture, ethnicity, etc. - they were IT: they were Australians, Australia was THEM. Then along come (or emerge from the segregated shadows) people who were not Anglo-Celtic: Aboriginal people, Balts, Mediterraneans, Arabs, Indo-Chinese, Turks, Maori, and then a flood of people from most of the countries of the world - and what do these people do ? They assert themselves, they group together voluntarily, they exercise their right to association, then their rights to free expression and to stick up for themselves. Worse still, they inter-marry with other Australians ! That was not supposed to happen ! And on top of that, they legitimately claim to be Australian !

So where does that leave many Anglos when 'their' identity now has to be shared with people who also have strong alternative identities ? In Britain, they have to scramble to dig out the flag of St George and in the US, they have to join the Republicans and demand that the country return to the 1950s, or join one of the rag-bag of supremacist groups (a bit the same thing, really). Here they wrap themselves in ther flag as if they alone have sweated and died for it.

[TBC]

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 18 June 2010 1:37:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[continued]

But it does not have to be that way. We can embrace the realities of a multi-sided Australia, multi-coloured, multi-cultural, multi-belief, multi-cuisine, multi-talent, and recognise that in a much more fluid world, just as there are half a million or so Australians living elsewhere around the world, Australia can live up to its values as a welcoming country where, in a formal sense, everybody has equal rights to associate and express themselves, and to recognise each other's right to live as we like, where we like, and with whom we like.

So just reach out - say hello, give each other a smile and a nod - you'd be amazed.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 18 June 2010 1:40:05 PM
way to go loudmouth, cheers !
Posted by individual, Friday, 18 June 2010 7:06:32 PM
Yes, great stuff Joe. I couldn't agree more, and it's nice to be agreeing with individual for a change :)
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 18 June 2010 9:01:53 PM
“I could say that, a redneck is anyone Grim says is a redneck”.
Er, actually no Bigos; you appear to be confused again.
You Bigos. Me Grim.
Bigos say: “My position is clear. The today's PC definition is so ambiguous it means anything.”
This mean no definition, can call anyone redneck (or, not call anyone redneck).
Grim say: “A redneck is someone who not only makes sweeping generalisations, but infers some innate superiority or inferiority on the basis of sweeping generalisations.”
This mean 'redneck' only called when fall within defined parameters. (sorry, I don't know how to say that more simply).
Now I'm going to muddy the waters a little more. I hope Bigos doesn't get too confused.
Going back to one of my earlier points (how does a redneck define a 'good' blackfella? They act just like whitefellas), and I think concurring with one of CJ's points, I don't believe your average redneck is a 'racist'. I think they are more commonly 'culturalists'.
Aussie rednecks don't really care about people's race, or ethnic characteristics; they just want everyone to act like whitefellas.
If you visit a Chinese restaurant in Wauchope NSW, (cattle country) and ask for a dim sim, you will get a good Aussie beef burger, wrapped in won ton skin.
I can't think why I thought that was topical...
Posted by Grim, Saturday, 19 June 2010 8:45:30 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. 18
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy