The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The politics of religion > Comments

The politics of religion : Comments

By Max Wallace, published 4/6/2010

The politics of Senator Xenophon’s tax laws amendment (public benefit test) bill 2010 and the Church of Scientology.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. All
Aren't non-profit organisations exempt from tax, or at least eligible for tax benefits? I'm not an expert on taxation or law, but I had always assumed that was the case.

What makes religions tricky is that the larger religions own businesses whose profits are then redirected into the outreach sections of the institution. Are these businesses taxed, or are they exempt as part of their religious affiliation? Perhaps they need to be taxed and then receive rebates for their donations to charities.

As for the 'advancement of religion' being a charitable service, I'm not too keen on that. I'm a practising Catholic, but I am comfortable with the idea that non-Catholics can live as good and happy lives as I do. I do think, though, that the 'bread and butter' of the Church - the parishes themselves - should be treated in the same manner as clubs. I've yet to see a parish that runs at a profit, and what goes into the collection plate certainly doesn't pay the priest or maintain the property. There just isn't enough! But, just as the Lions and Rotary clubs collect funds to provide services to the community, so does the Church.

In short, what I think is needed is a clear organisational structure for religious groups. Those branches of churches (or mosques, or kingdom halls, or ...) that provide service without profit should be entitled to the same benefits as non-profit organisations. Those branches that generate profits - even if the profit is merely to fund other good works - should be taxed like other profit-driven businesses. It only seems fair.
Posted by Otokonoko, Saturday, 5 June 2010 12:56:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah Boaz,

Ignoring the fact that the atrocities of the 20th century were not done in the name of secularism or atheism as the slaughters of the religious were been done in the name of their religion, if you were balanced, then you would have taken into account the fact that not only was the world’s population many times more than it was in the centuries when most of the religious conflicts were going on, but the technology that they had in the 20th century allowed for far more killing in a far shorter amount of time.

But as I said.. "IF" you were balanced :)

The slaughters of the communist regimes of the 20th century look pretty ordinary when one takes the above into account.

In fact if it wasn’t for secularism dragging Christianity kicking and screaming out of the Dark Ages and into Modernity, we’d still be burning heretics at the stake.
Posted by AJ Philips, Saturday, 5 June 2010 1:20:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australia could do with a charity regulator and that would provide transparency.

Exemptions are fine for mainstream religions who in fact do a lot of good and more efficiently and better targeted than government. Hitting them with tax would create a bureaucratic paper-chase for them and for the ATO, with no benefits accruing for the taxpayer at all.

There has been a lot of publicity about certain sects and of course the commentators and shock jocks have been active, demanding action from government as per usual to protect gullible people from themselves. However politicians can only offer more laws and bureaucrats, but that rarely solves problems. How far do we want the Nanny State to take care of our lives anyhow?

The reasonable, moderate approach would be to have a charity regulator, but there is no rush because there are many other pressing problems for government to solve as a priority. In the interim maybe people could take heed of the negative publicity some of these sects have received and not get involved themselves.
Posted by Cornflower, Saturday, 5 June 2010 3:14:56 AM
OTOKONOKO

you said:

Are these businesses taxed, or are they exempt as part of their religious affiliation? Perhaps they need to be taxed and then receive rebates for their donations to charities.

It depends on how they are structured.

Sanitariam foods ? I don't know.. why not give them a ring :)

Camps..... such as at Cowes.. the subject of recent controversy re "gay discrimination" can be under a broader 'trust' and don't actually make a technical 'profit'.

I tend to agree in principle, that if such camps are open to the general public..such as schools etc... it rather blurrs the line between 'commercial' and 'Christian'.....

So..there might be a case for looking at their tax exempt status there. (Painful as it would be)

I think the usual rationalization from 'us' would be that we perform a useful service.. our work is not 'for profit'..but for ministry and some of the income is distributed among the needy which would include aboriginals and overseas.

Our fellowship has built (at our own expense..donations) school rooms and dormitories for orphans in Uganda.. would you want to tax tha
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Saturday, 5 June 2010 7:42:46 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
could you imagine how much more in the red this country would be if many of the churches did not have to clean up the social messes caused by secular dogma.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 5 June 2010 10:45:13 AM
I agree with the logic explanation that there should not be tax exemption for religion at all. Same rules could apply for them as for non profit organisations like sports clubs and real expenses for public benefits are tax deductible.

Only ex-members of Scientology have the insight and real experience of proof that Scientology is a business and not a Church. I was for a short time inside this organisation and fortunately made an exit in time and before I was broke. Offers as described below are reality.

No real church will try to sell you courses for thousands (not hundreds) of dollars. No real benefit organisation will urge you to get a bank loan (and tell you to declare it for other purposes) if you do not have the money. No church will ask you not to tell your friends about what happens within Scientology and try to isolate you from your own family if they are critical about their organisation.

Scientology is selling products to their members for thousands of dollars. The programs and courses are completely overpriced. When members are finally financially broke then Scientology offers them a job in return of paying for their bank loans.

If this behaviour is called a benefit for the public then I rather eliminate the tax free status for all "religious" organisations.

And finally:
Religion is ONLY a private matter for citizens not a public matter for the Commonwealth as long as the so called "Scientology Religion" is not ruining people, breaks up families, ruins their mental health for which taxpayers pay via health institutions and CenterLink.

Chris
Posted by chris_ho, Saturday, 5 June 2010 11:51:20 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13