The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The politics of religion > Comments

The politics of religion : Comments

By Max Wallace, published 4/6/2010

The politics of Senator Xenophon’s tax laws amendment (public benefit test) bill 2010 and the Church of Scientology.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
Religion is not a private matter if it is tax exempt
Posted by snake, Friday, 4 June 2010 9:44:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Religion is not a private matter if it is tax exempt'

tell that to the Greens. The global warming faith has cost taxpayers billions.
Posted by runner, Friday, 4 June 2010 10:03:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I find myself at a loss. I like to pick holes in OLO essays and point out where there are errors in fact, unjustified leaps of logic, casuistry or prejudice. In this essay Max Wallace makes such good sense that I can only applaud his efforts.

Separation of religion and state is not a panacea for all ills, but I think it would make for a better Australia. Section 116 of the Australian Constitution which follows seems to call for it.

116. The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion, or for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion, and no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth
Posted by david f, Friday, 4 June 2010 10:13:57 AM
A very interesting essay. Thank's for pointing out,

"To “advance religion” has been deemed to be of public benefit since the 17th century."

Considering the environmental damage and human conflict that is justified on the basis of religious belief today it is obvious that religion is no longer a public benefit. I agree - remove the tax exempt status of all religions.
Posted by michael_in_adelaide, Friday, 4 June 2010 10:23:50 AM
Yes, a very good article. I think that many of the issues sourrounding the tax-exempt status of religions would disappear if the ludicrous definition of "advancement of religion" as a defined public benefit was removed. As michael says, it can easily be argued that they are as much a cause of public harm as they are of benefit.

Memo to runner: the Greens are a secular political party, not a religion.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 4 June 2010 10:36:56 AM
So, OLO experts, why is the advancement of religion detrimental to the public benefit? Because some religious organisations distort science? Because it promotes faith above reason?

Tell me, I'm genuinely curious. There are sociological studies which have shown the following:

- Religious people donate much more time and money to charity.
- Religious people live longer and happier lives.
- Religious people are more likely to be doctors, teachers or nurses- professions universally regarded as underpaid and underappreciated (at least the last two), and those which help others and provide crucial services to society.

Given the mountains of data from studies along these lines, I would've thought it would be beneficial to society if there were more religious people, rather than less?
Posted by Trav, Friday, 4 June 2010 10:48:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy