The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The politics of religion > Comments

The politics of religion : Comments

By Max Wallace, published 4/6/2010

The politics of Senator Xenophon’s tax laws amendment (public benefit test) bill 2010 and the Church of Scientology.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All
Max Wallace's reference to Australia being a soft theocracy is all too relevant given the disproportionate influence of religion on politics, and the disproportionate numbers of politicians of a particular faith.
Posted by McReal, Friday, 4 June 2010 10:55:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Religion should not have any tax concessions.
As a non believer, especially in the sort of rubbish that Runner and UOG supports and spouts, I do not want my taxes used by his ilk what a waste.
Posted by PeterA, Friday, 4 June 2010 11:29:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All it takes is belief in a supernatural entity? I can't wait to make my tax-deductible donation to Pastafarianism.
Posted by Clownfish, Friday, 4 June 2010 11:33:47 AM
Assuming that the sociological studies mentioned by Trav are valid, are these reasons to give religious organizations tax-exempt status and not other organizations whose activities may have similar effects?

Do other advanced countries in Western Europe and Japan have tax-exempt status for religious organizations? These are countries where more people are not religious, where there are very high standards of living, where people live longer, where inequality is lower, where government-funded health, social services and education are morre highly developed.

Countries where religion is dominant - the Third World, most of the Middle East and the USA are marked by extremes of inequality, lower life expectancy, lower standards of living, poorer provision of health, education and social services by governments.
Posted by tonyf, Friday, 4 June 2010 11:36:35 AM
""Given the mountains of data from studies along the lines
"- Religious people donate much more time and money to charity.
"- Religious people live longer and happier lives.
"- Religious people are more likely to be doctors, teachers or nurses -""

More people define themselves - or have defined themselves - as religious, so is it just on that basis; or are there some objective, independent, well-designed studies with "mountains of data" you can share?

Or, do they donate to charities that evangelise and proselytise?
Is their perceived happiness a type of vaccuuity?
Posted by McReal, Friday, 4 June 2010 11:58:52 AM
Trav,
I'm fascinated by your 'mountains of data' How about some references
That verify your assertion?
Then we need to see if these mountains of data actually prove anything and are not over interpreted.

McReal makes some valid points except their last line.
If OLO is a litmus test I'd say those who are arguably 'christian one eyed' seem to be the most worried about assorted plots, conspiracies, politics, economics ad nauseum.Than the secular thinkers.
e.g. I'm not frightened by other races or religions or.....hell.
Posted by examinator, Friday, 4 June 2010 12:14:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy