The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > I am not a Catholic, a Muslim or a Baptist ... > Comments

I am not a Catholic, a Muslim or a Baptist ... : Comments

By Joel Bevin, published 22/3/2010

By attaching labels to religions, society promotes the unintended consequence once membership has been attained: inertia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I read this forum daily and with great enjoyment. However, your article is the first that has made me want to respond with this much excitement and enthusiasm. Yes, I am a priest and not a priest, a believer and not a believer and some of what you say I might have paused longer over. But the drift of the whole moved me deeply and with you I would want to celebrate our shared humanity without the limiting labels. Thanks for taking the time to share your heart. I hope you write much because i will look forward to engaging your thoughts and your passion more often.
Posted by Bill Lawton, Monday, 22 March 2010 12:13:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Amen

However most people need the security of belonging as part of, confirmation of their identity as a person.
Sadly these labels have baggage both implicit and or inferred. one must sell that same 'identity' to others i.e. I'm a christian, Australian or a Collingwood supporter. The more important that label is to the individual the more extreme,intolerant,Chauvinist they tend to be. it then becomes a competition a battle for power arguing conflict a Malthusian justification.

Personally I reject them all.
Posted by examinator, Monday, 22 March 2010 12:43:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<< Personally I reject them all. >>>

Especially Collingwood.
Posted by Severin, Monday, 22 March 2010 2:38:39 PM
Joel does sound well intentioned and yet ultimately he can't see the sin of wanting to be god. He writes

'But I am none of these things as well. I simply follow a path that makes sense to me. '

By calling your yourself a Christian you do not lose the ability to ask 'why' as the author indicates. You simply face the reality of your own sin and accept that Someone actually knows a lot better than you do. This is an affront to many intellectuals who despite miserable personal failure still insist that they can take the high moral ground. Labels certainly can and are hidden behind but Joel is really saying that he is a non denominational agnostic. Joel's faith in humanity can and will only lead to despair and hopelessness. One day he will wake up to the fact that our goodness comes only from God. Take God out the equation and you end up with Hitler, Mao, Stalin and abortion (killing babies). Joel is obviously not an observer of human nature.
Posted by runner, Monday, 22 March 2010 2:59:34 PM
Runner

The only one I see here playing God is you by Joel telling what he means and what he is saying. You cannot speak on another persons behalf and my view is that Joel has done and excellent job speaking for Joel
Posted by Daviy, Monday, 22 March 2010 4:26:58 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is just a brilliant article by JOEL BEVIN so beautifully articulated, so obviously the truth it should be compulsory reading in school curriculums across the world.

Of course there are none so blind as he who will not see. Very many people who believe THIS IS THE ONLY TRUTH when it comes to specific religions fit the will not see catergory.

I think they choose not to see.
Posted by CHERFUL, Monday, 22 March 2010 5:53:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy