The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > I am not a Catholic, a Muslim or a Baptist ... > Comments

I am not a Catholic, a Muslim or a Baptist ... : Comments

By Joel Bevin, published 22/3/2010

By attaching labels to religions, society promotes the unintended consequence once membership has been attained: inertia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
And runner, surely the fact i don't even know what a 'non denominational agnostic' is must by default exclude me from membership?

Yes, faith in humanity does lead to despair at times, and pride at others. Yet in those times of despair, I do not feel the need to turn to some other being to explain/justify actions. Humans are imperfect creatures and it is only through these imperfections, these contrasts, that life continues to evolve and amaze.
Posted by Joelfsb, Tuesday, 23 March 2010 8:19:03 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Joel

I think you misunderstand what it is to be an atheist.

First a definition.

In what follows the word "God" refers to a "personal God" – the sort of deity invoked by the "Abrahamic" faiths who answers prayers and intervenes in the workings of the universe.

With that definition in mind, an atheist is someone who:

--Thinks the probability that "God" exists is either vanishingly small or zero

--Lives his or her life as if there is no "God"

--MOST IMPORTANTLY, would change his or her mind if presented with evidence for the existence of "God"

The last point is really what distinguishes atheists from "theists". Give us the evidence and we'll change our minds.

Now in what way does that differ from the way you live your life?

If I have misrepresented the stance of any atheists here feel free to correct me.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Tuesday, 23 March 2010 9:55:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A question for all of you.

Since when has religion had anything to do with God (if it exists)? Since when would God require lawyers to explain its will to the people of this Planet? Saying 'I am not a Catholic…….' can only clear the path to any God that may exist by by-passing the blasphemers who claim to be the dispensers of God's Law to the masses.
To quote Jesus
Woe unto you Pharisees
You are the keepers of the way of knowledge.
You do not enter yourselves, nor do you allow others to enter.
And the key lies rusty in the lock.

Ps Hitler was a Catholic who was never excommunicated.
Posted by Daviy, Tuesday, 23 March 2010 10:04:14 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Steven,

Not believing in a 'god' and being able to be convinced that a 'god' exists. are two separate issues.

It's like AGW some people will go to extraordinary level to avoid facing the facts. i.e. some of the conspiracy theories pertaining to this are mind boggling. Yet they most often claim to be sceptics.
Dawkins is one such non believer even if god appear to him in the flesh the atheistic author would still not believe.Because to do so would invalidate his life's work and what he sees as essentially him.
Posted by examinator, Tuesday, 23 March 2010 10:27:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Examinator

How would you know if it was "God" and not a very intelligent alien being?

I suppose if it could recite the Bible word for word... but then I would have to point out that it had done some very nasty vindictive stuff and, therefore, could not be a god.... by which time I would be turned to stone, or smote or something. I really hope that the god of the Abrahamic religions does not exist - not a very good example of behaviour.

I suspect Dawkins would say something similar except in more scientific and erudite terms than yours truly.
Posted by Severin, Tuesday, 23 March 2010 12:08:55 PM
I agree with Steven.

Joel, welcome aboard.

Daviy,

<<Since when has religion had anything to do with God (if it exists)?>>

I don’t know.

Since when has anyone here claimed that a God or Gods MUST necessarily have something to do with religion if they/it exist?

Examinator,

<<It's like AGW some people will go to extraordinary level to avoid facing the facts. i.e. some of the conspiracy theories pertaining to this are mind boggling. Yet they most often claim to be sceptics.>>

So what are the “facts” that some (I presume you’re talking about Dawkins et al again) ignore to deny the existence of any Gods?

What are the “conspiracies theories” (or anything similar) that have been pertained to in order to avoid these “facts”?

<<Dawkins is one such non believer even if god appear to him in the flesh the atheistic author would still not believe.Because to do so would invalidate his life's work and what he sees as essentially him.>>

Pretty bold statement for someone who had to cut and run the last time they were held to account for unsubstantiated claims of a similar nature.

Are you able to provide any evidence for your assertion this time?
Posted by AJ Philips, Tuesday, 23 March 2010 1:06:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy