The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hen’s night bunny feminism > Comments

Hen’s night bunny feminism : Comments

By Katie Ellis, published 15/2/2010

Female chauvinist pigs or sexual self expression: Playboy offers women an entry to the core feminist ideal of sexual self determination.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
My Opinion, Is that feminism is sinking deeper and deeper into the Sea of Hypocrisy. On the boat called The Mad-Cow. With the crew suffering foot in Mouth, with an over abundance of self-worth! (There’s a move there!) Feminism is like homosexuality,
a mental disorder. Goes against the Laws of Nature! End of Story.

The only thing that feminism has achieved is dashing the hopes of good heterosexual
Women from having family and children, dividing the sexes and causing great unrest in the community by encouraging the brake down of the family unit and alienating individuals with in their own society! Sad! Sad! Sad! Like Family Law!
Posted by Peterson, Monday, 15 February 2010 1:17:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry to be pedantic, Katie, but that should be "his fiancee" (with the extra 'e' to make it feminine. No other comment.
Posted by Peter D, Monday, 15 February 2010 9:50:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The problem lies in when women sought sexual self determination they thought men were coming along for the ride as well (if you'll excuse the pun).

Reading this article I had a strange and unreal vision of turning up to a hen's night with my mother both of us dressed in a playboy bunny suit. Wouldn't have happened, in our case anyway, and neither of us would have felt comfortable in that environment.

But we are all different.

It is a strange paradox that on one hand feminism fought at some level for women to have equal rights on the sexual playing field while at the same time considered overt female sexuality as 'playing into the hands of men'.

As a teen in the seventies there was a bunch of mixed messages for women which still hold true today. That is, we are free to make our own decisions in regards to sexuality but if you are too free you will be seen as easy and no man will want you.

As a woman, I would rather not end up with a man who has slept with a bevy of women - not only is he a medical risk but there is a psychological dispositon to assume that a 'loose man' will not be fully committed or trustworthy. Men apparently think the same about women.

So where does that leave us? It leaves us with what we have always had, simply, the individual freedom to make up our own minds and to act accordingly, possibly making some mistakes along the way, but in the end it is those mistakes that help maketh the woman/man.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 15 February 2010 10:14:39 PM
My view as a woman in her 40's is "female sexual self determination" has existed for centuries, within many women, of all nationalities and ages. Well before Greer commenced her encouragement and her espousing feminism and her movement.

If one observes every mode of dressing [and up] of each era; one will realise that dressing up in bunny costumes, boob tubes, fishnet stockings or whatever is no more provocative than the cleavage shown back in other generations. Bathing suits and swimwear in all generations worn, ball gowns outlining figures of all shapes and sizes, the 60's with those short short dresses I've seen in some of my mothers' friends old photos, the ultra tight denim shorts and bikini tops most of my older sisters wore in their early 20's, not to mention the beautiful sexy seductive dresses designed and manufactured back then that they wore in the early 70's to country balls [sister left me mint slices upon her return if I took out the knots in her jewellery for the balls].

Dressing is only one small way in which to express to oneself or others "female sexual self determination". Other generations, well before the term "feminism" was bandied around in the media, used various methods of "female sexual self determination": back during WWI, WWII and other wars in which women have participated overseas and here in Australia at home.
Posted by we are unique, Monday, 15 February 2010 10:28:27 PM
The fantastic "mini skirt" and "mini dresses" are what I was trying to express; existed well before the term "feminism" was bandied around. All women from all walks of life expressed their "female sexual self determination" wearing these fashionable eye catching beautiful skirts and dresses. The female bodies shown to advantage: chubby fat slim, athletic or hairy legs: women of all shapes and sizes wearing them. To me, this point is another 'genuine'plus for female sexual self determination and wonderfully healthy for female individuals. To wear and express themselves in private and in public.

Scenario: I am wearing my faithful tan sandals with a 3/4 heel or high brown leather boots], a pair of denim shorts [short shorts], tight top, with or without tanned legs, peroxide blonde hair pinned up, walking into a busy country town shopping centre non-coastal. Q: How would you connect or judge my appearance to my disposition? A prostitute/stripper/feminist/housewife/working mother/non-working mother? Next day, I am dressed in my pencil thin tight navy skirt [long with a split right up the back] to show long slim toned legs], a jacket with a camisole that gapes showing a great amount of cleavage, sheer navy stockings and high heels. Q: As per above.

A great 50% of self proclaimed feminists or people terming certain female work colleagues of mine as feminists dress more provocatively, some lesbians included, than married old fashioned in dress sense women I know, whom do not work or do not express their freedom or stand up for their rights/individuality in being female.
I am hoping my points are interpreted correctly as I wish them to be.

To the feminists and movement [if one exists]: the ways in which women and girls dress is irrelevant to feminism.
Posted by we are unique, Monday, 15 February 2010 11:05:29 PM
What is curious is the absence of bucks nights now.

Every fri and Sat night down at kings Cross there are many hens nights, with women painting the city red.

Hens nights are VICTORY CELEBRATIONS... You have the man now, who will support you even after you divorce him. You still get to keep everything... his assest the home that his long hours mostly paid for, his kids and his child support. And since you control his kids, you get to keep him under your control. Yes! I'd celebrate!

You've worked damn hard to get a rationally reluctant 'commitment phobic' man to commit, and now you can party and celebrate the end of your need to work, and look forward to a nice 'work-life balance'. Yes! I'd celebrate!

So where are the bucks nights? Men don't celebrate anymore. WHen a bloke tells his friends ther are more likely to say "oh shiit, are you sure mate?" Than to go out and celebrate with him.

Men don't want to become fathers anymore... they're afraid. And the tagedy is that there is a whole generation of young-ish, attractive, professional women who can't get a man and who will die childless.

Thanks Feminism! Thanks for making sure that there are too few men willing to marry
Posted by partTimeParent, Monday, 15 February 2010 11:05:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy