The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > I had a dream

I had a dream

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Dear fellow forum dwellers.

Yesterday was another of those 'mind body spirit' things where I manned a Christian stand.

Invariably at such events, we get all manner of 'spiritual' people as the large proportion of stand holders are Fortune Tellers,Astrologers, Yoga peddlers and a gaggle of 'healers' including Reichi etc.

Now.. I always find some person who has had some kind of spiritual or psyhcological experience which either scares me or amazes me.

2 TYPES.

1/ The dreamers.
2/ The Meditators.

The meditators report some startling experiences such as "during meditation I saw a figure in white robe with a staff and a unicorn next to him."
There was another were during meditation a person seemed to indicate that the figure/animal they 'saw' somehow entered them. (this is the scary one)

The dreamers.aaah.. well yesteday this person reported the 'figure in white robe with staff+Unicorn' thing, but they also reported this.

DREAM. I had a dream where I saw a woman in white, holding flowers.
She said "lauren...lauren...lauren"
When I woke, I asked my husband "who is lauren?" and he said he didn't have a clue. (hmmmmmm I thought)
Well a couple of weaks later, my mother became sick and was placed into a hospice section of the hospital to die. The carer designated for her..was named.. yep..u guessed it.. LAUREN. There turned out to be 3 nurses called Lauren in that section.

What is going on here ?
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Monday, 26 July 2010 9:41:12 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Coincidence?. Love how she asked her husband who Lauren was.

The flip side, is that there's a spiritual world where there's guardians that look out for everyone and occasionally hand out clues to life and all that it is about.

Once again, there's no way to prove that stuff like that doesn't exist. I'm each way on it. Much like with aliens...and not the illegal kind we're spose to be terrified of that are found on boats.

Curious to know the general consensus of an Atheist's take on the soul and what that's all about. Seriously, for the sake of interest. OF course, someone will take that as a shot.
Posted by StG, Monday, 26 July 2010 9:59:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Polycarp,

Never mind, might I suggest you don't eat spicy Asian food before retiring for the night.

As a qualified Astrologer and at one stage a member of the guild I can assure you if their is any truth in most of these it is:
- So scientifically convoluted as to be currently unmeasurable (effect?).
- It is emotionally needed by some...we all have the choice to choose.
Me I take the rationalist line....unless you can prove it..don't waste my or you time.
I would suggest you consider known factors Dija vu, coincidence, name fashions, subconscious linking. And when judging (see Pericles posts) chain of evidence. Also consider the differences between 1st-3rd person evidence, the potential unreliability of memory reconstructions.
In the final analysis I side with the rationalists....we simple don't know so why invent mythologies.
It is ultimately up to the individuals needs.

Notwithstanding that this topic is a stalking horse/ straw man argument to facilitate one of your usual rants
Posted by examinator, Monday, 26 July 2010 10:04:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OH, forgot the other flip side. This existence has more flip sides than a stack of pancakes.

IT could have also been someone hacking in to the matrix and giving this chick a heads-up. Juss Sayeen.
Posted by StG, Monday, 26 July 2010 10:19:24 AM
Dear AGIR,

Thank You for this thread.

There are many things in life that we can't
explain - and your "Lauren," story
gave me goosebumps. However, that's the
wonder and miracle of life - isn't it?

The truth is that dreaming is essential to an
original mind. If we don't learn to dream
we are doomed to merely follow where others have
already been. We are condemned to lead a
second-hand life. People who have achieved great
things have been dreamers. Still like all dreamers,
some people confuse disenchantment with truth.

I like the following recipe to dream:

"Take one dream. Dream it in detail. Put it into
your own hands. See its final outcome clearly in
your mind. Then mix it with a little effort and
add a generous portion of self-discipline. Flavour it
with a wholesome pinch of ambition. Stir briskly with
confidence until the mixture becomes clear, the doubt
separated from the resolution. Then bake at an even
temperature in a moderate mind until the dream rises
and is firm to the touch. Decorate with individuality.
Cut into generous portions and serve with justifiable
pride.

Approached in this manner, life is a piece of cake."
(Bryce Courtenay, "Recipe for Dreaming.")
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 26 July 2010 12:04:38 PM
Well AL i won't draw a picture for you of the similarities between these people and religion, i will leave that alone as it has been covered enough in this space.
What about these people needing something to hold onto to, to help them cope with life. It is their choice as to what they believe and how they see the experiences they have had. In the end they are not having any great influence around the general population unless you attend these 'mind body spirit things'.
As for Reichi, this is a very old and well used form of healing. Try talking to nurses in their 70's and 80's. They will tell you that they were using it in the hospitals way back. They called it touch therapy. In the end it could be possible that the touch of an empathetic and caring fellow human can help us in our personal battles in life, be they health or emotional. I know how a hug from my family helps when i am feeling down.
Posted by nairbe, Monday, 26 July 2010 12:11:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy