The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Ten Thousand Boat People!

Ten Thousand Boat People!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 58
  10. 59
  11. 60
  12. All
Dear Yabby,

I am concerned. Australia has a water shortage,
and we were told years ago -
that we could realistically
only sustain a population of 19 million (tops).
We've already reached 21 million (and growing) -
so I agree with you Yabster - our Government
does need to re-examine the agreements it
signed, as well as set parameters - on how many
more we're able to take in and sustain.

Perhaps, if restrictions were placed on where people
were to go to live - (not the city centres),
and the jobs they were to do (farming in the North West
of the continent where water appears to be abundant -
and land is vacant - at contracted settlement for 20 years
- would be a good option),
things could be mutually beneficial to all concerned.

Just a thought.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 30 June 2009 5:43:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,I would like to have a go at answering some of your questions.

Do we care if many stave to death? Many stave to death now and bringing more here will not reduce the current death rate in the world. Only a reduction in third world population will acheive that.

Are we concernerd about leadership of some countries forcing folk to flee or die? Yes we are concerned, take Afghanistan, Zimbabwee and now possibly Iran and Sri Lanka.

Would we expect help if it was us? Yes from other Western countries to establish democracy again, non western countries don't seem to care and don't help other countries at all. Unlike Iraq, we would welcome the chance to become democratic again.

What is it the most concerned dislike....? Unacceptable cultural changes and lowering the living standards if too many come.

Are we to question the humanity of boat people? Yes they force themselves upon us without regard to others that may be more deserving. They are very selfish.

Can we stop them all coming? The previous government did. With strong deterrents to make it unattractive or not worth the risk.
It will be the present governments fault if there is another Siev X situation as was the last boat that exploded. The government has encouraged the illegals to try their luck.
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 30 June 2009 8:50:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Master,
You have been here only a month so you may not be aware that the FURPHY of illegals coming here via commercial airlines has been exposed quite a while ago.

You stated.
MANY MANY more people try to enter our country illegally via AEROPLANE than the occasional leaky boat. That 10,000 figure is of course a TOTAL beat up. Typical tabloid rubbish. But all the paranoid idiots who think they 'own' Australia will be "OUTRAGED". They'll be writing to the press, and on obscure opinion forums, that these scumbags, bludgers and terrorists aboard their leaky boats should be repelled at all costs - - - - "STOP THE INVASION" they'll plead.

Yet, at the same time they are just simply too stupid to realise "THE" portal for illegal entry is, and always has been, our airports.
Unquote.

Information from Immigration state clearly that those trying to enter illegally are sent away immediately. 97% are gone within 72 hours. The airlines are obligated to return the illegals to the point of boarding.
You should get your facts correct before making such statements. Looks like you have fallen for media hype.

I agree that the media does beat up storie to sell their products.
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 30 June 2009 9:12:06 PM
Banjo, I think you didn't read what I wrote, even though you quoted it. Basically I said MANY more people enter Australia via illegal entry at airports than enter Australia via leaky boats. That's a FACT. You may not like that fact, but a FACT it is.
Posted by Master, Tuesday, 30 June 2009 11:42:58 PM
The FACT is, people entering this country illegally at airports often, in fact very often, do so successfully. There's many thousands of such people living and working in Australia. The authorities have a hell of a hard time tracing and then actually physically locating them. Many people spend many, many long years in Australia illegally. Maybe you should do a bit more research on the topic, and you will discover this to be "FACT".
Posted by Master, Tuesday, 30 June 2009 11:54:55 PM
*The FACT is, people entering this country illegally at airports often, in fact very often, do so successfully*

Not so Mister, for when people arrive at airports, they have a
passport, a tourist visa etc, the Govt knows who they are. There
is nothing illegal about that.

Yes, many on a tourist visa might overstay their visa, or try to
stay here for good, or apply for asylum as they like our cushy
lifestyle, but they did not come here illegally at all.

Perhaps things have changed, but last time I flew, airlines were
checking visas overseas at check in time, overseas, before anyone
arrived here. They don't really like to carry them all the way
back for free.
Posted by Yabby, Wednesday, 1 July 2009 12:11:43 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 58
  10. 59
  11. 60
  12. All