The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Ten Thousand Boat People!

Ten Thousand Boat People!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 56
  7. 57
  8. 58
  9. Page 59
  10. 60
  11. All
And suddenly this rip-roaring thread dies in the arse!!

There were several intertwined strands of conversation, and then everyone just up and abandons it! How weird!

Master, where aaare you? My post of 20 July is waiting for a response.

And as for old Done-a-runner Morgan…as soon as I do what he’s been pushing for and start addressing some of the comments of his “racists and xenophobes” he’s off, tail between his legs, ears slunk back....

Dear o dear!
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 25 July 2009 8:52:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly, "few seem to want to talk about helping refugees live a full life in their own land, what can be wrong with that."

Because they are keyboard Left and Green - all care and no responsibility. It is easy to spend someone else's money.

Similarly it is easy to tell farmers they can produce more sustainably and through 'improved technology'. As if farmers have never had an interest in efficiency and caring for the land. Yet farms are unprofitable despite the fact that ours rank among the most efficient in the world.
Posted by Cornflower, Saturday, 25 July 2009 1:04:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cornflower, Ludwig I will talk to you.
I am one of those Cornflower, proudly and forever left of center but not reality.
You however are about right, my brothers and sisters[ I have no comrades] are blind to some subjects like the way females are treated in SOME Muslim country's.
Can any one? yep all of you, tell me one human life is not equal to any other?
Yes it would take war but we could help people live a better life,
Look at history say India for a start Britain split it into two Nations, Russia did not help Afghanistan, China driven by self interest keeps country's like the one we knew as Burma in the hands of ,well I can not say what I think of them.
Look at the dreadful old tyrant running Zimbabwe.
Sudan, so many more , why is it not the wests intentions to truly help?
In the case of world wide humans living such lives intervention is a must, or mass deaths.
I am chuffed to be called names by the lost truly left of reality, to know opinions they hold are not ever going to be any more of worth than those of the true right.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 25 July 2009 3:08:43 PM
1) It's vital that the reasons why refugees are leaving their homelands are addressed. If this doesn't happen to an adequate level, then there will be an ongoing stream of refugees out of war ravaged countries. The main cause of refugees fleeing is WAR/CONFLICT and NOT starvation due to diminishing resources....... hunger due to WAR'S interference with the normal established food chains, yes sometimes, but 'almost' always NOT starvation due to only food running out in peaceful times. It's NOT a resource problem, it's a WAR and CONFLICT problem. How do we address this conflict problem? I don't know - - - neither does anyone here, and neither does anyone currently living on Planet Earth. Does this mean we give up, and just stop trying? DEFINITELY NOT. If we are extremely lucky it will take hundreds of years to adequately solve entrenched conflict within/between nations. In the meantime decent, honourable people show COMPASSION towards refugees, and selfish people of the "me, me, me" variety will continue to think up a million excuses to continue their selfish "me,me,me" or "our,our,our" ways. Just fearful of difference, scared witless of change and utterly lacking in decency and compassion (unless the refugees agree to utterly subjugate themselves to what "we,we,we" want of them in "all" ways!

2) Much, much more aid is required to be given to "at risk" nations, territories and locations.

3) It's difficult, and often impossible to help refugees in their homelands. After all, that's why they are refugees - - - they have fled their countries due to WAR and CONFLICT. Often the ones that remain within their countries are under DAILY danger and threat. The governments and military of those countries are often utterly corrupt; "Effective" homeland aid, to both help the refugees and to prevent the occurrence of refugees in the first place, can be an IMPOSSIBILITY under some circumstances.

4) Sustainability must NOT come first. "Humanity" and "Decency" and "Compassion" matters! It's NOT a case of sustainability vs humanity, decency and compassion. It's a case of sustainability *AND* humanity,decency and compassion.

There ya go Luddy. All answered.
Posted by Master, Sunday, 26 July 2009 5:17:43 PM
"There were several intertwined strands of conversation, and then everyone just up and abandons it! How weird!"

I found myself with 7 kids all of a sudden. And I keep forgetting that [quarterback] button.

If there is a God I would wake up and discover another bathroom has been added to the house.
Posted by The Pied Piper, Sunday, 26 July 2009 5:47:35 PM
Thanks for directly addressing my questions Master.

“It's vital that the reasons why refugees are leaving their homelands are addressed.”

Absolutely!

“It's NOT a resource problem, it's a WAR and CONFLICT problem.”

No, it is not that black and white. Resource issues, especially population growth that creates ever-bigger demands on stable or shrinking resource bases, or ones that collapse in drought, are a large part of the problem. Populations living in abject poverty are fertile grounds for the development of major conflicts.

Refugeeism is not caused by conflicts, it is caused by the things that cause the conflicts.

“Much, much more aid is required to be given to "at risk" nations, territories and locations.”

You bet! So how much effort do people who desire a very large refugee intake in Australia put towards this? From what I can see, very little indeed.

“It's difficult, and often impossible to help refugees in their homelands.”

Yes. So Australia should do its bit to accommodate the most needy of these refugees, in numbers that are in keeping with a sustainable population policy.

“Sustainability must NOT come first.”

Oh yes it must!! I have to conclude Master that you don’t really understand what sustainability is if you can make a statement like this. There is only one alternative to sustainability, and that is a horrible collapse of our society. If that happens, we won’t be in any position to do anything to help those worse off. We’ll all be much worse off.

“It's NOT a case of sustainability vs humanity, decency and compassion.”

Of course it isn’t. It should be a matter of directing this country onto the sustainability path and doing what we can, with that policy firmly in place, to help those who are much worse off.
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 26 July 2009 9:10:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 56
  7. 57
  8. 58
  9. Page 59
  10. 60
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy