The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Ten Thousand Boat People!

Ten Thousand Boat People!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 58
  8. 59
  9. 60
  10. All
That is how any are said to be coming to our shores.
What can we do? what should we do?
Is it good for us?
If they all come will half a million come?
I would hope we can debate without racism being slung about[true or false ] and a bias to wards or against such people.
We do however need to talk about it.
Is the answer more aid?
Is it peace in their land?
I know the world I want does not exist, maybe never will but we in the west can do much more.
Not in my view without the country's these poor people are fleeing being accountable too.
Our fate too may lay in the hands of those who make life unlivable in those country's.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 30 June 2009 5:35:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,
I saw that article this morning as well and I nust say I am a bit sceptical about its accuracy, at this point.

I recall a few years back, according to the media, there was supposed to be thousands of illegals in Indonesia ready to come to Aus. About that time, the government imposed the temporary visa scheme and we never heard any more about those ready to come. What happened to the thousands or was it a media beat up?

If the information is indeed correct, My opinion is that the government has to revise it softer approach and stop the promise of permanent residency visas. Greater deterrents are needed. You will note the latest arrivals are all young men and one has to at least question why?

No doubt the government is getting further information, which i await with interest.
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 30 June 2009 10:42:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We need to talk about it do we? Why, when those of us who say something the Left don't like are immediately branded as 'racists' and 'xenephobes'.

Shove it, sport!
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 30 June 2009 10:54:46 AM
As far as I know, we supply cash to Indonesia to fight illegal immigration.
Ever heard of an ambit bid? That's what I think we're seeing here.
Exaggeration to acquire more money, plain and simple.
Posted by Maximillion, Tuesday, 30 June 2009 12:10:28 PM
Dear Belly,

I'm not sure how accurate the figures are -
but they are staggering.

According to the UN High Commission for Refugees -
they have 49,000 registered refugees in Malaysia
and estimates are given at an extra 45,000 unregistered
illegal immigrants.

Strong deterrent messages from
the Australian Government are not cutting through.
People smugglers are simply not paying any attention
and are not passing on any information concerning
under what conditions refugees and immigrants are
accepted into Australia.
The reasons given for choosing Australia - are
comparative cheapness and accessibility.

I don't envy the job our Border Patrols have, nor
that of our Immigration Authorities.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 30 June 2009 2:24:50 PM
Could the Central Coast put in a bid for some? It had some projected growth that isn’t happening yet. Malaysians will do… oh yeah do they like water? We need jetty’s and market places on the lakes.

They’re the most boring lakes in the world, boats – houseboats!

Make it somewhere interesting for the Sydney people to come on holidays, we have lakes, the beaches, stuff.

We need more motels and hotels. We have a near empty flash (with traffic lights ya know) industrial area. Can someone build a factory with that ambit bid?
Posted by The Pied Piper, Tuesday, 30 June 2009 2:42:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 58
  8. 59
  9. 60
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy