The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What would a truly Christian Australia be like?

What would a truly Christian Australia be like?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
A regular criticism heard on OLO is that our country is suffering because we're drifting away from Christianity, and that we'd be better off if we all accepted more church involvement in our lives and in the running of our community.

So tell us, if you were granted unlimited authority to "Christianise" Australia, what changes would you make, and what would society look like when you're finished?
Posted by Sancho, Wednesday, 15 April 2009 8:04:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OH DEAR,sanchos;..come in spinner..lol

a truely xtian australia makes the inferance the current one isnt,..ofcourse thats a judgment call,..that xtians can only try to defend..[whilst the a-thiest's poke fun at the unxtian attuitude of many who call them self..[or rather think themselves].. xtian]

but hey im a sukker for a challange..[so here goes],

christs house is divided..[just as he didnt intend even forming a house,because he came to join the fathers house..lol..that was at the time also divided,

so in reply to your posit<<if you were granted unlimited authority to "Christianise" Australia,>>i would insist that those calling on christ with us [emanuel]..act as christ did in trying to restore our fathers house

<<what changes would you make>>i would not make any,it is for each to get their own house in order..[no one can make you be anything you dont yearn to become]lead by egsample be seen doing the xtian thing.

<<what would society look like when you're finished?>>thats not for me to say...[jesus tried and only managed to get those who saw him doing as our father does,..for them..to think he was the father ..lol..[see me see my father]does not mean i am my father

anyhow an intresting..[if leading question..lol]

i would love to see 20 million people doing the good we saw the christ do..[or at least trying to do that good that comes only from god, as witness by the christ.[serving the one true creator god of love life and mercy..[beyond name..[who lives in our hearts..[who sustains all living their very lives to live]

but this isnt the christs realm...this realm clearly is satans..[the next realm is not jesus realm either]..that is the fathers;who art in heaven,

knowing jesus he possably claims the hells,he isnt one to abandon a sinner,..but there you go...you did ask..so i did respond..lets see what the tide brings in

if you hear weeping it will only be me silently weeping as i see the good and true tempted to try to create 'heaven] on 'earth',..thinking we need two heavens...[while our leaders try to create two hells..

[there is my response...just for you ...lol]
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 15 April 2009 9:10:52 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Damn interesting question Sancho.

My prediction is that we'll get no constructive answers here, because it's easier to criticise than put forward alternatives.

It really depends which kind of Christian gets the reins of power.

If it's the paranoid crusader type like Boaz was (to give due credit he was in favour of separation of Church and State) then I imagine we'd probably make discriminatory religious policies that target groups such as Islam, and become a target of militant Islamists quite quickly, with moderate muslims adopting more of a 'serves them right' mentality.

In relation to social policies, I imagine that institutionalising laws that limit people's freedom on the basis of religious teachings would inevitably result in a backlash by those who reject this as nonsense.

Australia's been fortunate to have comparatively civil politics on this issue (compared to the vast gulf between left and right in the US). This would become a vast chasm and things would inevitably get more confrontational and probably more violent.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 15 April 2009 11:20:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sancho

"So tell us, if you were granted unlimited authority to 'Christianise' Australia, what changes would you make?"

What changes are there left to make?

We open parliament with prayer and we have politicians holding prayer meetings in Parliament House.

Government gives churches, despite their wealth, generous tax and rates concessions.

Government funds Christian schools.

We've got chaplains and religious 'education' in public schools.

We've got Christian groups providing all sorts of paid and unpaid services - whether it's counselling, finding employment, or used clothing, you name it and there's a church out there somewhere cashing in on it.

We have our weddings and funerals in churches.

Our main holidays, easter and Christmas, are religious festivals.

Government funds religious talkfests such as the Catholic Church's World Youth Forum.

We appointed a church leader as Governor General.

And the list goes on.

"And what would society look like when you're finished?"

Not much different to how it looks today I'd imagine. We've already been well and truly 'Christianised' I'd say.

Though no doubt Runner could take us one or two steps further towards Christian totalitarianism.
Posted by Bronwyn, Thursday, 16 April 2009 1:58:38 AM
No abortion. Blaspheming would be a capital offense. Comedians would regularly be hung (or maybe the christians would prefer crucifixion).
Homosexuality would be seen as a crime once more. Divorce would be restricted. Unwed mothers would once again be forced to give up their children for adoption. Churches and their leaders would become more powerful and influential than they are now. Maybe they would even comprise the government. Corporal punishment of children would be reintroduced. Probably a resurgence of kiddie fiddling priests abusing with impunity. Persecution of nonbelievers and non christian religions.
Shops etc would be closed on Sunday. Science would be curtailed in case it discovers inconvenient truths. Progress would falter. Bigotry, racism and intolerance would all increase.

I for one would fight it endlessly.
Posted by mikk, Thursday, 16 April 2009 9:55:43 AM
Bronwyn and Mikk you have said it all, with perhaps the exception of (restricted) corporal punishment. I think the abolishment of that has created more problems than it's solved.
Posted by snake, Thursday, 16 April 2009 11:04:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy