The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What would a truly Christian Australia be like?

What would a truly Christian Australia be like?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All
mikk, crucifiction was never a christian form of execution. Crucifiction was one of the Romans' methods of putting someone to death.

A truly christian Australia would probably be as bad as predicted here but how would it compare with a truly moslem Australia?

Given the choice, I'd take the lesser of two evils.
Posted by Austin Powerless, Thursday, 16 April 2009 12:26:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
snake

"Bronwyn and Mikk you have said it all, with perhaps the exception of (restricted) corporal punishment. I think the abolishment of that has created more problems than it's solved."

I see the problems (I think you're referring to) as resulting from a complex mix of many contributing factors and I certainly don't think corporal punishment is the answer. You don't create better people by inflicting violence on them.

In fact I see that as the same type of autocratic 'I know best' solution favoured by many of the churches. Hitting people might seem to bring them into line, but it can fuel resentment and anger, which only further feeds into a negative cycle of rebellion and retribution.

Austin Powerless

"A truly christian Australia would probably be as bad as predicted here but how would it compare with a truly moslem Australia? Given the choice, I'd take the lesser of two evils."

Why limit ourselves to a choice between two evils? Why not aim a little higher than that? Let's build a strong secular and inclusive society, capable of accommodating all religions, but giving none of them any powers that should rightfully belong to the state.
Posted by Bronwyn, Thursday, 16 April 2009 1:24:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Currently we have a secular State that has been influenced in the past by Judao-Christian morality. When Australia was founded the Fathers were church people. However they brought with them much of established secular laws. (By the way secular does not mean anti God - but means dealing with issues of the physical state of man.)

To bring in a truly Christian society I suggest you first read the teachings of Christ in the New Testament and you might just pick up on some of His attitudes and social relationships. He is not about the enforcement of laws, but the education of the human spirit to live like God, showing mercy, justice and love to all persons.
Posted by Philo, Thursday, 16 April 2009 9:43:58 PM
I deeply fear a Christian Australia. My ancestors fled Orthodox Christian czarist Russia. I do not want to live in a Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or any other state based on a particular religion. I think it is an unhealthy development that Australia has Christian missionaries in the the public schools in the school chaplaincy program. It is not good that there is no civil marriage in Israel. It is not good that Saudi Arabia doesn't allow non-Muslims to freely practice their religion. It is not good that churches have to get official approval from the Chinese government to operate. I favour no government support for religion and no interference from government in the free exercise of religion. I think it best that religion be no business of government.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 16 April 2009 10:07:24 PM
stabler society with lower divorce rate? more loyalty. so everyone can concentrate more on their job? and lower crime rate? i hope so.
Posted by rouge, Thursday, 16 April 2009 10:29:12 PM
We all want those things, rouge. Can you explain why and how Christianity would bring them about?
Posted by Sancho, Friday, 17 April 2009 12:52:04 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy