The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What would a truly Christian Australia be like?

What would a truly Christian Australia be like?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
one under god wrote: i would be carefull of thowing too many stones at your.[and our] messiah he came and left,and his'own'knew him not in the least.

Dear one under god,

Jewish history is full of false messiahs. Abu Issa Al-Isfahani, Jesus, David Alroy, David Reubeni, Shabbatei Zevi and Jacob Frank are some of their names. The messiah is a myth which started when Jews hoped for a figure which would reunite the kingdoms of Israel and Judah to restore the kingdom of David and Solomon. From those beginnings the myth grew until the messiah came to be a figure who would bring on the messianic age where peace would reign on earth, nations would study war no more and the lion would lie down with the lamb.

I don't believe in the myth. However, if a figure did appear and bring the messianic age that would be evidence that he was the messiah. Jesus did not bring peace on earth or anything like it so he was obviously one of the many false messiahs. The only difference between Jesus and the other false messiahs was that many gullible people followed him.

I would like to see peace on earth. I think Obama would also like it. Maybe he is the messiah. Jesus certainly isn't. There is no second coming for a messiah. A messiah should be competent enough the do the job the first time.
Posted by david f, Sunday, 26 April 2009 6:28:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All the antagonists on this thread have never had an encounter with the spirit of a true Father, they make counterfeit claims that do not represent Christ.

Jesus statement in John 14: 6 where Jesus says - "I am the only way to the Father" - when the spirit of these words are understood means understanding the true heart of fatherhood is love, care, encouragement, security, healing forgivness and example. Jesus had a fathers heart and to be like him resembles the heart of God the Father of the true spirit. "I am the truth" his spirit is the true example of the nature and character of the Father. To have the character and spirit of Christ Jesus is the true life of the Father. Jesus continues in the text to speak about the spirit of the Father is in himself and he represents the true nature of the Farher. No one enters into the spirit of the Father except through him.

The question is: does Jesus represent the spirit of true fatherhood? Is his spirit the true nature of God? To admire, adopt and emulate his attitudes, character and actions as the only true expression of God is the only way to the Father, any other spirit or character does not represent God as the way the truth and the life. The false Christs' came with violence as the answer to overcome their enemies, not self sacrifice, the offer to a better life by love, forgivness and reconciliation.

TO THE ANTAGONISTS I ASK: "WHAT DO YOU OFFER AS THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE WE OUGHT TO ADMIRE AND EMULATE? HOW IS YOUR OWN CHARACTER, ATTITUDES AND BEHAVIOURS DEMONSTRATING THE TRUE SPIRIT OF FATHERHOOD?"
Posted by Philo, Monday, 27 April 2009 3:14:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*PHILO*

" ... All the antagonists on this thread have never had an encounter with the spirit of a true Father ... "

I imagine that you lose some of your audience at this point.How can you know the truth of your assertions? Merely because the views of some are contrary to yours? Do you see the problem?

Are you not content just To Be, in the faith that All God's children will one day reach his feet?

Apparently not if your words are any indication.

So, I saw his popiness get a good snorter full at Easter recently? What was he praying at that moment *Philo?* Was it the Christian prayer that we are all born again in *JC* and live on, or something else?
Posted by DreamOn, Monday, 27 April 2009 10:06:00 AM
Dear Philo,

Jesus was one of the many false messiahs in Jewish history. We really don't know what he was like or even whether he existed. My opinion is that he was a composite figure on which people put many of the myths current at the time. I discount all the miracles and do not really know what else is true or not.

We only have the picture of him in the New Testament. According to that I gather that he was a charismatic figure who accepted the superstitions of his time, was sometimes tolerant and understanding, was sometimes bigoted and didn't get along with his family. I don't believe any such person as described in the New Testament really existed.

Philo asked: does Jesus represent the spirit of true fatherhood?

He certainly doesn’t. As far as fatherhood goes conventionally it starts when a man in conjunction with a woman conceives and then cares for a child. Jesus was sexually inhibited or had a weak sexual impulse. That would make him less able to understand human problems in that area.

There is no evidence in the NT of any relationship he had with any child. Jesus liked children in the abstract and said “Suffer little children to come unto me.” However, that was just to worship him as he seemed in great need of people to worship him and did not want to really be a father.

Philo asked: “HOW IS YOUR OWN CHARACTER, ATTITUDES AND BEHAVIOURS DEMONSTRATING THE TRUE SPIRIT OF FATHERHOOD?"

MATTHEW 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

This is a jealous, possessive love. A loving spouse would not demand making a choice between the children of your union and herself or himself, and a loving saviour would not demand that people make a choice between him and one's family.

I have more of the true spirit of fatherhood than Jesus. I care more for my children than for any mythical figure like Jesus.
Posted by david f, Monday, 27 April 2009 10:27:35 AM
david f,
Jesus was not merely addressing himself as a human who sought worship of himself when encouraging the children who sought him - but as one who had the truth about the kingdom of God; which is spiritual not flesh. The spirits of children are pure in their search of truth. Jesus likens their purity as those in the kingdom.

Similarly the meaning of MATTHEW 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. This is not seeking devotion or focus on of him as human but the character and spirit he manifest. You might tell your son to be passionate to follow the character traits you admire more than the example you yourself set.

Jesus represented God by his character. Give total devotion to the development and admiration of these ideals of personal character more than following the spirit and character of any of your closest loved ones. By comparison love of mother or father is a lesser admiration than the admiration of the spirit of the highest ideals - God.
Posted by Philo, Monday, 27 April 2009 2:25:33 PM
it is most important to understand statements in the immediate context and in the context of the whole of his words. Nowhere is Jesus encouraging hatred or hostility to family or neighbours. But he is making a statement by contrast how mush we are to love God.
Posted by Philo, Monday, 27 April 2009 2:30:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All