The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > When old men kill their children > Comments

When old men kill their children : Comments

By Philip Machanick, published 9/12/2009

The climate change denial movement are 'inactivists': people who cling to the notion that any change is bad.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
Emotive!

Sure there is no denying that the climate has changed and the climate has changed, perhaps thousands of times before, on this planet before humans evolved.

Australia as a continent has been drying out for thousands of years, before white man ever found this place.

In another hundred years, I wonder who the joke will be on? The believers or the deniers?
Posted by JamesH, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 8:15:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's your emotional opinion, I disagree.

There is no "denial" grand conspiracy.

How do you know a skeptic is inactive? You have no idea what sustainable or other activities we support? You just assume that if we disagree with your central tenet (doom!), that obviously we disagree with everything you hold dear, must be polluters who hate children and regularly kill poley bears, yes?

Are you feeling helpless and powerless, that's not my fault, you may have deep problems and this is how it is manifesting, who knows.

Maybe it makes you feel better to focus your hatred and scorn of other people.

That's the nice thing about anonymous posting, your rants and attempts to bully, just fall flat.
Posted by Amicus, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 8:42:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
er, following the 'logic' here, we have climate denialists (I thought they were skeptics) because of people like Mugabe and that WW1 was caused by old men.
Posted by Cheryl, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 9:09:53 AM
Old men,eh? it has been my observation that a great many young men and women are unconscious in relation to climate change and many related environmental,economic and social issues.

Get off the generational blame hobby horse.It will take you nowhere because it is a phantom moke,not even of any use for tilting at windmills.
Posted by Manorina, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 9:10:00 AM
I would think anyone who dared disagree with this opinionated fruit-bat would be damned from the loftiest heights.

“This is just one more pointer to the fact that we have little option but to take on the old men - otherwise we too will be responsible for killing our society's children.”

What a crock of tish

If this dingle-berry had any clue to what really mattered

He would have realised that it is the children who represent the problem,.

I have not one single issue with individual ones but

The world population explosion is the biggest issue

People in the third world are having more children than they can reasonably support or sustain

Reduce the number of humans on the planet and issues of pollution and sustainability become solvable.

As for “take on the old men”

This old man invites him to come here and try his best but rest assured, I will not stand idle by while he tries to “take” me on

and in the end we will see who prevails, he with his physical might or me with my wisdom based cunning.

This old man will (always) go down defending “democratic reason” over the childishly petulant tirades and tyrannical anarchy of young self-opinionated tossers -

who feel entitled to substitute “reason” with ego and attempts at intimidation.

Amicus “Maybe it makes you feel better to focus your hatred and scorn of other people.”

Yep.. he reads like a well developed sense of chronic low self esteem
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 9:19:12 AM
Another way of thinking about the perceived generational issue could be that older scientists who no longer need to toe the official line to get funding, tenure and in other ways protect their career's are free to question the official line. It's a more difficult for younger scientists to speak out if they want the prospect of an ongoing career in their chosen fields.

I think that the author has unfairly preyed on stereotypes of older people to undermine what will be in many cases considered opinions.

There will be a mix on this issue, in some cases the authors claims are probably valid, in others it will be a massive slur on people who have taken great care in forming their views in this matter. To dismiss in entirety the abilities and motivations of those with opposing views rarely adds to truth or genuine understanding of an issue. It's a useful tool to rally the troops but that's about it.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 9:30:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy