The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > When old men kill their children > Comments

When old men kill their children : Comments

By Philip Machanick, published 9/12/2009

The climate change denial movement are 'inactivists': people who cling to the notion that any change is bad.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Old men are the best men, young men are dangerous. Old men do not go to war. Young men do. Who is smarter?

The world is over populated. Kids will be affected either way. Reports out now that emerging nations are claiming devastation to their economies so children will hurt either way. Now or later if it is true. Living in the now at least immediate future looks promising for kids. If you destroy your childs future to save their children it is a bit more of a gamble.
Posted by TheMissus, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 6:24:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You admit you have deliberately "trolled" for responses by being emotional and provocative, then go on about how rational you are and how irrational others are.

You wanted to goad skeptics and generate traffic for your own blog while expounding your own beliefs.

You've misused and abused the faith of the editors and owners of this site.

You are a dishonest little man, is it any wonder people question your credibility - you even brag about it. How can you call anyone else dishonest?

I'm guessing all the posts on this forum will end up on your blog?

Graham, how about banning this troll?
Posted by rpg, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 7:04:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This guy is a computer person not a climate expert. In addition he is emotionally out of control, attention seeking and deliberately provocative. He also quotes George Monbiot who recently showed his great character by running away from a climate debate with Ian Plimer. Cannot make head nor tail of the allusion to Robert Mugabe. This guy needs some relaxation therapy.
Posted by Atman, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 7:45:54 PM
Hey Philip, I'm old and male. I worked hard all my life and I saved for my retirement. Now it appears some fruitcakes think I should share my retirement savings with third world countries.

I can't. Will you promise to contribute my share for me. As well as your own and will you accept the lowering of your standard of living ... to the same as mine.

You know how that Copanhagan thingy now looks?

It looks like a bunch of corrupt countries that haven't taken advantage of western technologies and knowledge to develop the resources of their own environments and who now have their hands stuck out for the benefits my culture and ingenuity have produced.

Now would you explain how a bunch of rational scientists, who produced that tortally discredited hockey stick graph, who are the authors of those imfamous e-mail and who now appear to have lost the raw data that would give credence to the calculations they made to arrive at to support the evidence of global warming? As espoused by another stupid and misrepresentative UN committee, like that human rights commottee, this time one espousing climate change?

I know what I'm asking is complex but gee as you get older you'll come to understand the simplicities held in youth become much more complex. Like I once believed science was totally logical and incorruptable.
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 8:23:13 PM
"Find another discipline where a comparable number of older scientists is signing petitions, writing angry opinion pieces and popular books attacking the mainstream, writing angrily to the media and using the language of personal attack you find in this field." - I doubt that you will find it. If anything that would support the idea that protest by older scientists is about genuine concerns on their part rather than an artifact of their age. If it was an age issue older scientists should be attacking (on mass) newer theories on all sorts of fronts.

"I am amused that people from a camp that has a long history of personal abuse suddenly claims the moral high ground when they have their tactic thrown back at them."

there seems to be far too much of those tactics from both sides. Given that the AGW camp seems to have the upper hand in the public space their use of the tactics seems less excusable than by those who consider themselves to be fighting a rearguard action (that does not make the other any better).

It's also an unproven assumption that those who have objected to your tactics approve of them when used by some "denialist" spokespersons. I don't know about you but I often find myself in agreement with some of the views of people who express their views in terms which I don't agree with.

It occurs to me that Mugabe is a particularly nasty old man kept in power in part by convincing young men that he will bring changes and having them doing his work for him.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 8:23:22 PM
Gee Phillip let me share some wisdom.

I once asked a 100 year old when she first felt old.

She replied ' The day I heard someone call my son Granddad'.

Then she got this look of life in her eye and added,
'but it was only for a few seconds!'

We shared a laugh, I understood. I was 30.

One day I hope you have a similar experience and learn a little humility and respect.
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 8:45:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy