The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Strangers in their own land - an extract > Comments

Strangers in their own land - an extract : Comments

By Helen Hughes, published 7/3/2008

Two Indigenous girls undergo a ten-week educational marathon in Sydney: they are overwhelmed by a world of signs and print of which they can make no sense.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Ho Hum says "Perhaps we should all re-read and study the work of Marshall McLuhan" and is skewered by d'Helm "I think the girls should read Marshall McLuhan for themselves and make up their own minds". I don't think On Line Opinion has witnessed a better example than this of a contributor being hoist on their own petard. Well said d'Helm.
Posted by Siltstone, Friday, 7 March 2008 11:29:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Further problems of course ensue even if these girls do become practised in our English, when they learn standard English history.

We found this in earlier days in the Dalwallinu district, when we copped it properly from a certain full-blood Aboriginal parent who like Yagan before him learnt to understand our language and history somewhat better than some of us whites.

As my young wife mentioned at the time, why are these Aboriginal children given only the white view of Westralian history, especially when we find one full blood parent intelligent enough to become so hateful over it?

Cheers BB, WA.
Posted by bushbred, Saturday, 8 March 2008 1:23:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bushbred thinks if young Aboriginals learn to read there is a problem because they may not conform to Bushbred's preconceived notion of what they should learn from their reading. It's hard to think of a better example of the patronizing "lets keep the Indians on the reservation" mindset.
Posted by Siltstone, Saturday, 8 March 2008 8:18:19 PM
Perhaps if the girls didn't have Helen Hughes studying them like her own lab rats, taking notes, staring at them endlessly like an old deranged carpet snake, they may have felt more relaxed, enjoyed the moments, and understood the contexts?

It reminds me of my own childhood where I became an anthropological oddity and project of well intentioned, but stupid white people (like Hughes).

None of them whom I eventually learnt to speak and write English.

Just a thought...
Posted by Rainier, Sunday, 9 March 2008 9:15:29 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Can't quite make out what you are getting at, Sillstone? What I related was a part of history, an Aboriginal father giving white families the rounds of the kitchen about his kids having to accept a whitey's account of a history which surely belongs to the Aboriginals as well us whites.

Have you ever lived in a district like early Dalwallinu which took in Paynes Find where both Yamadgees and Wongis existed.

Many of these married in with white families, one good looking Lubra married a Carlhausen, great grandson of a German family who worked for Gutstav Liebe, the former German architect and builder, said at the time to be also the biggest single wheatgrower in the world.

I only hope your argument is not taking possibly a superior racist point of view. So please rather than accusations, explain yourself clearly.
Posted by bushbred, Sunday, 9 March 2008 6:09:52 PM
Perhaps if the girls didn't have Helen Hughes studying them like her own lab rats, taking notes, staring at them endlessly like an old deranged carpet snake, they may have felt more relaxed, enjoyed the moments, and understood the contexts?
Rainier,
well stated fact.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 9 March 2008 6:33:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy