The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Strangers in their own land - an extract > Comments

Strangers in their own land - an extract : Comments

By Helen Hughes, published 7/3/2008

Two Indigenous girls undergo a ten-week educational marathon in Sydney: they are overwhelmed by a world of signs and print of which they can make no sense.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
I've read the Hughes article in "Quadrant", the extract published in "the Australian" , and here.
Only the Quadrant essay goes to the issue of kava use/abuse. This was also the topic Hughes considered in "Issue Analysis" published by the Centre for Independent Studies (CIS) in October 2007:

http://www.cis.org.au/issue_analysis/IA88/ia88.pdf

The "Australian" article and the extract published here neglect any mention of it. Perhaps because it is of no immediate interest in the case of the girls' trip to Sydney.
What does trouble me is a suspicion that in seeking to protect the girl's identities, Hughes has conflated two unrelated communities into the one, which she calls Wangupeni.
The girls pictured in the "Australian" article are said to be from Owairtilla NT.
Only Helen Hughes can dispel my doubts.
Posted by clink, Wednesday, 19 March 2008 2:54:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Individual, ok, which community
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 19 March 2008 9:22:27 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainier,
I just got back this arvo after slogging away on a machine with an indigenous co-worker. We worked like crap in the heat & grease & dust & oil.
You asked which community. I travel to many communities every week for 2-4 days at a time.
I won't tell you which ones just yet as you haven't displayed sufficient integrity yet for me to disclose this info. Experience has taught me that people with a chip on their shoulder are more trouble than it's worth & (from experience) I already know how you would try to de-stabilise my good relationship with the people in these communities.
Prove that you have some integrity & I will tell you where I am. Deal ?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 20 March 2008 6:50:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Btw Rainier,
When I say integrity I mean having the morals to also see & accept my own mistakes no just those of others. I have never claimed to be "right" on any subject here. What I do claim is my experience in the subjects I comment about. I would like you accept that despite whatever you may think, I do not invent stories nor do I comment to create discontent. I comment with the hope that those who are not enlightened & comment purely out of idealism may think outside their normal daily comfort zone & actually consider that my comments do have merit. Dispute my views by all means but do not dispute my experience no matter how much it goes against your grain. To call me racist etc is not only insulting to me but also an insult to yourself as it gives the impression that you hold only europeans responsible for problems in Australia. There are millions of non-european descendence who also contribute to the daily affairs of this country & also make wise & unwise decisions.
Posted by individual, Friday, 21 March 2008 12:00:17 PM
i already know !

get ready for some fun..LOL
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 21 March 2008 12:09:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
get ready for some fun..LOL

fine, does that mean you'll actually make an attempt to answer the questions put to you rather than just coming back with snide remarks ?
Posted by individual, Saturday, 22 March 2008 7:09:20 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy