The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Strangers in their own land - an extract > Comments

Strangers in their own land - an extract : Comments

By Helen Hughes, published 7/3/2008

Two Indigenous girls undergo a ten-week educational marathon in Sydney: they are overwhelmed by a world of signs and print of which they can make no sense.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
I hold individual as well as institutional racism accountable; that these acts (both overt and covert) are usually enacted through people like you is not new to me. I just call it as I see it.

Indeed some the most virulent' individual' racists I have encountered are people who like to think they are fair minded, liberal and Christian. And they always use the ‘ I’m colour blind’ “we re all human beings” argument to defend themselves.

To set aside the institutional and historical agency of white racism as you have indicates how blind you are to your own agency,

Missionary; Mercenary; or Misfit? Which one / or combination of these are you ??
Posted by Rainier, Saturday, 22 March 2008 10:24:30 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainier,
I'm sure there is professional help available for the likes of you. you are utterly unbelieveable in your obsession with racism. If you have had some bad experiences that's too bad but for crying out loud stop accusing other people as having the mentality you are cursed with. whenever I am confronted with that disgusting affliction I just walk away. You in turn desperately seek every opportunity to practice your hatred. Well I have news for you. Either you sit back & take a good look at yourself & ask yourself how all your hatred is perpetuated or what I'd rather see, look around & hopefully realise that others really don't share your sad mentality. How do you propose we can ever achieve any harmony when you are so consumed with non-stop blaming others. Yes many mistakes have been & still & always will be made. That's all it is, mistakes. You however, thrive on causing disharmony & you call yourself an educator ? Wake up.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 22 March 2008 6:02:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainier,

Some the most virulent' individual' racists I have encountered are people who aren’t white. The aboriginal community is not immune from this affliction. I have no doubt that many minority groups suffer and have suffered from racism. I have no doubt that institutionalised racism was an absolute fact. I have no doubt that this racism lingers on in individuals who make up the many arms of gov’t. However those who continue to suggest that the major problems in remote communities are the result of ongoing racism are ignoring the realities on the ground. Your implication that Helen Hughes was in some way racist was ugly, ill considered and without basis.

Moreover your veiled threats against individual bring to light your own darker side. Missionary; Mercenary; or Misfit? Which one / or combination of these are you ??
Posted by Paul.L, Monday, 24 March 2008 2:51:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy