The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Strangers in their own land - an extract > Comments

Strangers in their own land - an extract : Comments

By Helen Hughes, published 7/3/2008

Two Indigenous girls undergo a ten-week educational marathon in Sydney: they are overwhelmed by a world of signs and print of which they can make no sense.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Paul, I can speak from 25 years experience as an educator/teacher.
What’s your claim to fame other than parroting / cutting and pasting the words of Mr Pearson (a lawyer who has never fronted the Bar and newspaper columnist in the Right wing Australian)?
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 11 March 2008 8:26:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paull, as usual you regard historical facts as rambling.
The true facts very much related to the title of the topic -Strangers in their own Land, is that whitey education just after WW2, especially regarding WA history was still mainly related to the benefits that the Brits had brought to a country where still lived only primitive humans needing the presence of a so-called superior peoples.

I might add, Paull, that I found instances in my years in the bush that I preferred the simplicity and friendliness of certain fullblood Aborigines to a few white persons I have known.

Do you well to read a few good history books, Paull, including about Western injustice and intrusion in the Middle East
Posted by bushbred, Thursday, 13 March 2008 11:10:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bushbred,

What i regard as rambling is your presentation of historical fact without any effort to link it to current experience. If you can't explain how the history affects the present then it is merely rambling. I'm well aware of the history, I spent years learning to parrot the grievance industries' academic champions. Thats what passed for learning in University level history and politics.

There is little doubt that the parlous situation that many Aborigines find themselves in can be linked to past injustices. But there is far more fault to be found with those "helping profession" do gooders (soft lefters) that have meddled in Aboriginal policy over the last thirty years. They have had a far more pronounced, and unfortunately more damaging, effect on Aboriginal people and their communities. The scourge of passive welfarism is at the centre of the decline of Aboriginal communities. This disaster can be sheeted home directly to the morons of the soft-left.

You would do well to note that the only kind of fascism you, and those like you, seem able to comprehend is white fascism. It seems muslim groups like hamas are immune to criticism from fascism's old enemy, the left, because of their religion and perhaps skin colour. "A (putrid) rose by any other name?"
Posted by Paul.L, Thursday, 13 March 2008 12:56:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From your retorts, Paull, sounds like you believe there's a lot of others like me.

From experience of the very few others like you, thank goodness, reckon it's safer to stay the way I am.

As I have intimated, though I have spent a lot of my bush life in farm and station country, never needed to argue with Aboriginals.

More than I can say about our younger generation.

Trying to find it hard where you fit in, especially remembering your apparent attitudes concerning today's Middle East?
Posted by bushbred, Thursday, 13 March 2008 4:51:58 PM
Gawd! We're certainly not short of nutters here on OLO! Must be a disgruntled Liberal still coming to terms with defeat last year. Poor buggers. Someone should start a support group for them.
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 13 March 2008 6:10:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainier,

It just goes to show how wrong you are. I voted for labour, as I have all my life. Again I note you have no response to the ideas, prefering to play the man rather than the ball.

What astounds me is the number of people who come online looking for like minded souls to preach to. How can you ever expect to develop as a person when you surround yourself with ideas you already hold looking for reinforcement from other equally "brave" individuals?
Posted by Paul.L, Friday, 14 March 2008 3:15:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy